Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Is the game dying?

KevinZXKevinZX
Mabinogi Rep: 200
in Erinn Chat
Is the game dying, I used to play this game years ago like in 2018 then came back 2 years after and now I am back but I despite seeing a merge in servers I see very little players running around as well as less people placing their shops, I remember Belvast and Dunbarton full of player shops but now I havent seen Dunbarton fill out once, did they change the player market area or are there just few players left?
I plan on coming back to the game and reach end game content since I never actually did that but with so few players I think it will be hard to find people to play with often.

Comments

• MochipetMochipet
    Mabinogi Rep: 100
    Yo! Returning player here as well. In my short time back, my initial thoughts were similar to yours. However, I have found that it's not that bad after finding my current guild. Find a guild that focuses on what you like and you should find plenty of people to run end game content with, especially since that seems to be where more of the focus is for the current player base.

For reference, I've played this game on and off over the years since open beta. I've definitely seen the game in maaaaany different states with regard to the player base.
  • LllaaazzzyLllaaazzzy
    Mabinogi Rep: 815
    It hasnt really been dead but players spread out a bit too much
    And the server merge really helps

We're probably going to get a new server by the end of next year though

If you check the BEYOND patch notes you can see some poor guy ran through the entire campaign to make sure their were no bugs to get stuck on during the main storyline ( In 2024? )

Only issue I see is how busted some classes are like Ninja, cloaking and running up to bosses and blasting them with Sakura Abyss, Not sure how they are going to handle that
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Lllaaazzzy wrote: »
    It hasnt really been dead but players spread out a bit too much
    And the server merge really helps

We're probably going to get a new server by the end of next year though

If you check the BEYOND patch notes you can see some poor guy ran through the entire campaign to make sure their were no bugs to get stuck on during the main storyline ( In 2024? )

Only issue I see is how busted some classes are like Ninja, cloaking and running up to bosses and blasting them with Sakura Abyss, Not sure how they are going to handle that

If Erinn is getting crowded they will add more channels, rather than make a new server; I think they've learned their lesson. Now, if there is a limit to how many channels per server THEN they would make a new server. Of course, over the course of several years, this would be a temporary measure, since eventually one server will crowd out the other, and we are back to one.
  • NioughtNiought
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,660
    Game seems plenty lively to me. Depending on what server you were in though, the marketplace channel may've been moved. I know after the first one with Mari, there was this whole debate I saw people having on ch7 getting used as a market channel, cause us Mari players were used to it being a ch1 thing. Which people did apparently decide to stick to. Since these merges, off and on all of Dunbartion area would be so filled that I can't find a space for a shop. Though I did notice people completely abandoned Belvast, which I find sad.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Niought wrote: »
    Game seems plenty lively to me. Depending on what server you were in though, the marketplace channel may've been moved. I know after the first one with Mari, there was this whole debate I saw people having on ch7 getting used as a market channel, cause us Mari players were used to it being a ch1 thing. Which people did apparently decide to stick to. Since these merges, off and on all of Dunbartion area would be so filled that I can't find a space for a shop. Though I did notice people completely abandoned Belvast, which I find sad.

Channel 7 was the Tarlach channel. To them, it was what channel 1 was to Alexina, Mari, and Ruairi. I remember when they fired up Nao, channel 7 was the second most active channel but over the course of the first month it slowly faded away; I was actually a little bit melancholy about it and I wasn't even a Tarlachite.
  • NioughtNiought
    Helsa wrote: »
    Channel 7 was the Tarlach channel. To them, it was what channel 1 was to Alexina, Mari, and Ruairi. I remember when they fired up Nao, channel 7 was the second most active channel but over the course of the first month it slowly faded away; I was actually a little bit melancholy about it and I wasn't even a Tarlachite.

Oh, sounds about right. I was really relieved cause that had been my main channel and it was more laggy than my pc could handle at the time. Funny though cause now I mostly stay on another channel. Which has also gotten pretty lively lately, though thankfully nowhere near as bad as ch1 gets.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Niought wrote: »
    Helsa wrote: »

Oh, sounds about right. I was really relieved cause that had been my main channel and it was more laggy than my pc could handle at the time. Funny though cause now I mostly stay on another channel. Which has also gotten pretty lively lately, though thankfully nowhere near as bad as ch1 gets.

Yep, channel 1 is the shopping channel. If one isn't shopping then why be there?
    Niought
  • NioughtNiought
    True true. I love that the playerbase even decided to have a dedicated shopping district, its honestly really cute.
  • ShakayaShakaya
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,075
    The Auction House is what killed the personal shop areas. People still use Dunbarton, but the appeal of Belvast having an increased gold limit in the license, is redundant because all the expensive goods go on the Auction House. But with Dunbarton being the town where the Event NPCs are most of the time, and it being the default for continent warp, it's still a good place to set up impulse-buying shops. But Ch1 is the only market channel.

Our server isn't as populated as it was when people were originally hyped up for the server merges, but it's still pretty lively IMO. Whenever there's a GM meet up it's as crowded as the Alexina parties were, which Tarlach and other servers never had event spots that were that crowded. And for in-game event hubs, I always see plenty of people AFK there across all channels, and especially on Ch1.

So the game is 100% better, even now in 2024, compared to 2018 Tarlach.

The good news is we've already had them put in the budget, time, and effort into server merges already. So there should be less maintenance cost of keeping Mabi NA running. Even if the servers become less active, as long as we have fashionogis buying gachapons we'll be ok!
  • NioughtNiought
    Shakaya wrote: »
    The Auction House is what killed the personal shop areas. People still use Dunbarton, but the appeal of Belvast having an increased gold limit in the license, is redundant because all the expensive goods go on the Auction House. But with Dunbarton being the town where the Event NPCs are most of the time, and it being the default for continent warp, it's still a good place to set up impulse-buying shops. But Ch1 is the only market channel.

Ahhh, really? The first few years I was playing, there was auction and player shops in belvast. For me, the change felt abrupt. I guess I can see that being the reason, but I hoard so much I still have a lot to sell even with auction.
  • HelsaHelsa
    There's people still renting houses to sell stuff; I couldn't believe it!
  • NioughtNiought
    Om, that's insane.