Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Random Question

TerslerTersler
Mabinogi Rep: 600
in Help
Hello all,

I'm kinda new to mabi. Been here almost a month now. I've figured a lot of things out but not all things. My question is about staffs. The description on most of them says they allow you to use intermediate magic without gathering attributes. I took that to mean that I wouldn't have to charge up spells like firebolt or thunder. I find though that I still have to charge these things. So what does the description mean? Am I interpreting it wrong, is the description wrong? What's the point of a staff then?

Comments

• KokoroKokoro
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,155
    edited March 13, 2017
    The older staffs like Trinity Staff required you to 'charge' it by using the bolts before you could even use intermediate magics. For example, you needed to shoot 5 (?) Lightning Bolts at enemies to gather lightning charge on your staff before you were allowed to use Thunder. This was a huge pain as not only did you have to waste time with weak bolts, you were limited to only one element to use.

The newer staffs thankfully now bypass this charge requirement and allow you to use the intermediate magics at will.

• IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Certain old staves, like Trinity Staff, or White Wing Staff, have to be "charged" with elemental affinity.
    This means casting basic level bolt spells, like icebolt/firebolt/lightning bolt, enough to shift their element over to Ice/Fire/Lightning, before it would let you cast Intermediate spells like Ice Spear, Fireball, or Thunder.

Most new staves don't make you do that, and let you use Ice Spear/Fireball/Thunder all the time, but it doesn't mean they're instant-cast.
  • Crisis1Crisis1
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,765
    There are certain staves that require you to charge your element before you can use int magic. It is high recommended that you DON'T use those staves. Try getting your hands on a hermit staff if you can.
  • TerslerTersler
    Mabinogi Rep: 600
    edited March 13, 2017
    I have a royal crystal wing staff, the description says I don't have to charge to use intermediate magic. I wasn't aware that on older staffs you had to so that makes sense then. Still without chain casting I'll likely stick to my wand. Was just really curious.
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    Staffs are pretty handy for Adv magic like Lightning Rod, which can one shot most mobs that aren't Phantasm with enough M.Att. With Snapcast, they're quite useful, though I think there are some wands that can use all 3 mid tier elemental magics like thunder and fireball. However, only basic bolt magic like firebolt, will chaincast, whereas intermediate magic requires snapcast, a skill with a cooldown of around or over 3 minutes, depending on the rank of snapcast.