Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Advanced Search Options

RedKiraRedKira
Mabinogi Rep: 1,110
edited March 13, 2017 in Feedback and Suggestions
IGN: Redfern
Server: Tarlach

Note: I'm not sure if this has already been suggested/brought-up, or if this is even the right category for it. I did search to see if there were any similar threads, but as I'll explain, it's very hard to do so. I'm also not sure if this counts as two suggestions, but as I found it to be relatively the same things, I included both in this thread.

EDIT: Putting your search keywords in quotes will show posts with your keywords (info credit to @/Yokkaichi) This is a useful 'quick fix' to the current lack of advanced search, however, advanced search is a much more intuitive design. Since most people are accustomed to there being advanced forum search options, they would still be very useful.

Problem:
When searching for something using the current forum search options, it's difficult to near impossible to find the right posts. Most of the time the search results are completely unrelated to what I've searched.

Example: Using the keywords puppet theatre outfit, the entire first page of results only show the keyword outfit. A quick Ctrl+F search shows that none of the posts include the keyword puppet

2dkmkiu.png

Desired Outcome:
The desired outcome of Advanced Search Options is to allow players to find what they are looking for using the forum search bar without needing a great deal of time to look through multiple pages.

This would be handy for:
-searching to see if anyone else has made a thread relating to a problem, bug, or suggestion before you make your own. Ideally, this would decrease the number of duplicate threads.
-people looking to sell/buy items and want to find past prices of said items

General Advanced Search Options

Allow players to:
-search for posts using specific keywords (this would only show results that included theses specific keywords in the post)
-search posts with specific words in the titles (this would only show results that included theses specific keywords in the thread title)

Even something similar to the old forums advanced search would be nice.

Category Specific Advanced Search Options

This would be the same as normal forum searching, except it would apply to only one category.
I see two ways this could work which I will port in steps. (For this example I will use the Tarlach Marketplace category and the search item will be Puppet Theatre Outfit.)

First Method:
1. Player goes to Tarlach Marketplace
2. Player clicks inside the Search bar
3. Player enters Puppet Theatre Outfit
4. Posts related to the search Puppet Theatre Outfit will show

Second Method (requires a separate in-category search bar):
1. Player goes to Tarlach Marketplace
2. Player clicks inside the "Tarlach Marketplace Search bar"
3. Player enters Puppet Theatre Outfit
4. Posts related to the search Puppet Theatre Outfit will show

Example (Note: The actual thread posts are censored due to the sites rules and restrictions):
This image example is from a different forum. This forum uses in-category search using the first method I mentioned.

15owdh4.png

Colour Legend:
Red- This shows where the player is in the forums. In this example, the player is in the "Items for Sale" category (in Mabinogi's forums, this could be the Tarlach Marketplace category).
Blue- Again show which category the player is in, but with more prominence.
Purple- This is the in-category search bar. Note how it says "Search Items for sale." Using this search bar the player will only find search results that are within the category of "Items for Sale".
  1. Which would you like to see?2 votes
    1. General Advanced Search Options (similar to the old forums)
       0% (0 votes)
    2. Category Specific Advanced Search Options (First Method)
       50% (1 vote)
    3. Category Specific Advanced Search Options (Second Method)
       50% (1 vote)
    4. Leave it the way it is
       0% (0 votes)

Comments

• YokkaichiYokkaichi
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145
    If you type in "puppet theatre outfit" including the quotes, it gives you exactly what you're looking for (minus this post of course).

An Advanced Search option would be helpful though, especially since the old forums had it.
    ShoogRedKira
  • ShoogShoog
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,535
    Yokkaichi wrote: »
    If you type in "puppet theatre outfit" including the quotes, it gives you exactly what you're looking for (minus this post of course).

An Advanced Search option would be helpful though, especially since the old forums had it.

OMG YOU'RE THE BEST!! I've been annoyed for these forums not having an advance search and this helps 100%!
  • RedKiraRedKira
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,110
    Yokkaichi wrote: »

Yokkaichi MVP 2017. Thanks a bunch! /bows

I'm glad there IS something like this, but it's unfortunate that most people probably dont know about it. I myself had tried using underscores, like how the House Boards function, but I never thought of quotes OTL
    Advanced search is a much more intuitive design. I'm honestly curious why they felt the need to remove them.
  • YokkaichiYokkaichi
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145
    Oh wow! I'm glad I was able to help! I figured out this nifty trick for Google searches, so I figured they might work on the forums too.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited March 15, 2017
    Please allow us to tag a thread, it makes finding preexisting threads so much easier on Vmods.
    737f0f04b2574c0a8dcdc43a7a7cda84.png
    8a202bf4076f456986b51e82e18194d6.png
    Daktaro