Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

More Weapon Masteries

DraechDraech
Mabinogi Rep: 4,390
edited March 18, 2017 in Feedback and Suggestions
I would personally like to see more than just the current weapon mastery categories (blunt, axe, sword, lance, etc.). I believe there should be more styles to allow greater diversity and unique ways of playing.

For example, "Light Weapons" could include rapiers and daggers, and would focus on disabling opponents' use of close combat skills for a few seconds. It would go great with Sphyra21's suggestion for a Thief talent.
Here is the link to his/her suggestion: forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/1919/new-talent-thief

"Polearms" would focus on long weapons such as spears (such as Lancer's Gae Bolg from the Outfit Bag), scythes and staves (e.g. a monk's quarterstaff), to offer increased melee range and could trip the opponent.

"Monk Weapons" could include new styles such as sickles, kusarigamas and nunchakus, and focus on continuous attacks (like dual wielding with Final Hit).

Also, I would like to see Hand Crossbows, usable as an off-hand weapon to allow for ranged attacks, but at reduced damage (much like the Guard Cylinder does with alchemy).

What are your thoughts on this? And any other weapon categories you would like to see?

Comments

• HazurahHazurah
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,570
    edited March 18, 2017
    too complicated (especially the polearm)
    i also assume sickles and staves should share a same mastery (in melee), let's go with increasing the attack speed and slightly lowers the knockback
    also staves already suffer their dura quite much when used in magic only, so i suggest making them 15% more durable in rank 1 mastery?

also, Hand crossbow seems nice
  • DraechDraech
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,390
    I'm guessing the "trip the opponent" part of Polearms is what you find complicated. I see it as when an opponent is launched and falls prone, yet does not distance itself from you (such as using Smash, then Assault Slash; the enemy is launched, yet he remains next to you).
  • HazurahHazurah
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,570
    Draech wrote: »
    I'm guessing the "trip the opponent" part of Polearms is what you find complicated. I see it as when an opponent is launched and falls prone, yet does not distance itself from you (such as using Smash, then Assault Slash; the enemy is launched, yet he remains next to you).

that's even worse, you should add stun effect to them, since they will immediately stand up and attack you after they fell

• YangKoeteYangKoete
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,175
    Polearm Mastery IS indeed needed. Look at the Close Combat person with the rebirth screen; They're holding a spear. Not a scythe, not a huge axe; A spear.

Can we PLEASE get spears? Make all scythes/spears already in much better to use too...
  • SetsurinSetsurin
    Mabinogi Rep: 630
    while I do understand what is being said here, some of the weapons seem to be being put in the wrong spots. not to mention that other historical weapon types aren't even being brought up. monks would likely use fists, nunchucks, or quarterstaves.

the "guard" crossbow would be nice to see, but think about the reload. even with a guard cylinder, you have to take time to load it. plus, the guard cylinder serves the dual purpose of a shield (not a very good shield, but a shield). what would be the dual function of a "guard" crossbow? would you have a mini crossbow built into a shield or something?

also, it would be nice if the ninja skill line actually allowed for the equipping of ninja swords. what is the point of having ninja if the can't use ninja swords?

I do agree that since staves and wands use durability in melee and magic, that durability should be increased, or take less durability damage per use of either.

it would be nice to see rapiers brought into the game as more than gacha items. plus, it would be nice if the elves could at least dual wield daggers since humans can dual wield 1 hand swords and giants can dual wield 1 hand maces. I know elves have the dual arrow shooting ability, but that's not really dual wielding.

these are just a few things I agree with or wish to see.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,715
    edited March 19, 2017
    One word; Bowguns.
    I think elf QQs would become a thing of the past.
    Actually I doubt it but you know what I mean.
    SylviaWolfe
  • YangKoeteYangKoete
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,175
    We'd REALLY need to focus on fixing the available weapons first before adding new combat classes.
    Let's not divert attention, let's actually fix it.
    AlmostNotsuperSherri