Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Housing needs a good revamp

ArjuneArjune
Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
edited April 3, 2017 in Feedback and Suggestions
We have to buy premium service to use housing, yet the benefits are not as good as they used to be. let's break this down a bit

Pros:
- Can sell items while offline
- Can store items in the house as an extra storage
- items only take up 1 space in the house no matter their size

Cons:
- Only 5 mil gold limit
- 10% gold transfer fee to put the gold in your bank from the house
- Only lasts 30 days

The cons might not seem like much, but when you consider the fact that Belvast shop licenses can hold 20 million gold and only have like a 2% fee when you put them in the bank then that makes housing pretty BAD. Mainly because you are paying real money for using the house only to get a crappier tax rate and gold limit than a belvast license that any free player can get. The major benefit is being able to sell the items while being offline, but I feel like the tax should be way lower and the gold limit way higher. We should be able to hold at least 20 mil in the housing, and it shouldn't cost 10% tax to put it in the bank. as an example: currently if I sold some items and filled my entire 5 mil limit in my house and wanted to transfer it to the bank.. I would lose a whopping 500k of that 5 mil. The high tax rate is another reason people overprice things on housing! they know they will be losing a chunk of it so why not price it higher to begin with?

I would just really love to see a housing revamp. Make housing more worth getting. Even new features added would be neat...like making decorations separate from the items for sale so more people would be interested in decorating wo taking up their sale spaces. Make guilds want to own and take care of castles more by raising the benefits they get as well. Sometimes housing districts run stale and no one even sets houses for auction... that should never, ever happen

Hopefully this suggestion can be sent to Korea for them to mull over. I believe they already got a gold limit increase over there, but I would like if they would consider changing other things to make housing great again

IGN: Darvy
Server: Mari
KikurikappaAlmostNotsuperLeineiReassureArcticKing

Comments

• KikurikappaKikurikappa
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,265
    I agree with all of this, we really need a higher gold limit and lower taxes, at least! But a complete revamp would be wonderful!
  • AlmostNotsuperAlmostNotsuper
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,240
    edited April 3, 2017
    What? Housing benefits are as great as they've ever been! Just think of all the extra gold NX you can buy with the moneys you save on electricity.
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    Already got a Discussion Thread up.
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    Pretty much. Have the maximum price be lower than the maximum limit. I am tired of certain people bragging about their riches.
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    edited April 3, 2017
    Already got a Discussion Thread up.

That's ok. I'll stick to the rules and keep 1 topic per thread if you don't mind
    LeineiCarlize
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    edited April 3, 2017
    @Darkpixie99 "You may only submit ONE SUGGESTION PER THREAD. This will keep things clean and organized. If you have another suggestion, make a different thread about it." -From the Guidelines for Posting Suggestions Thread

Your thread is also over a month older, with you essentially bumping it, and it has so much to look at in terms of what you want to see done. Arjune's is focusing on the financial aspect of housing like the costs of owning the house and the issue of space for selling vs decoration.
    CarlizeReassure
  • FalcondaeFalcondae
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,555
    I'm going to post this here since it does pertain to just housing itself even though I had originally left it on Pixie's thread due to the fact it covers some of her concerns, as well as a few other things regarding housing originally written I think last night or night before.
    There are plenty of things that should and can be changed. That being said and after playing through other games with similar housing systems, there are a thing or two that should be addressed first before initiating anything.

A while back, probably around the time between '08 and '09 (Jeez I'm old...), Nexon did release the in-house Closet item. However, there was a major glitch and was promptly removed. This, hypothetically, led up to our current Dressing Room system. Now, as of their removal, I don't think we're going to get them back any time soon considering it's been at least 8 years. If I remember the bug correctly, players could not take out their items once their closets were expired since they have a 30-calendar day life. That out of the way, on to other things.

As a guild master who held a housing district for several months in the past, I will admit that the options for housing is very... sparse. While there are furniture you can purchase to decorate the rental, there are some things I really do want them to change in terms of the system itself.

Using the House as a Shop
    • Currently, the floor space is what you have to work with to serve both as sales floor, decor, and 'living space.' I, for one, am not a very big fan of it. Firstly, I'd probably have one of the walls dedicated to sales stuff, and this should be an option for people to choose when they start bidding on their house so that they can choose which wall will be the one for displaying items, either for sale or for looks. That way, it keeps the floor clutter free. Besides, unless it's like huge pallets of items in bulk you're trying to sell (Think Home Depot and their pallets of tiles or concrete bags), it wouldn't be sitting on the floor if it's only an item or two.

• Option to move the little Brownie is also a novel idea. Personally speaking, I sort of don't like them in the middle of the room. Maybe off the side a bit is nice, but not smack dab in the middle.

• The proposal to lift the in-house bank cap is something I know the community has a great interest in. Think just about every person here has at least dealt with wanting to buy something but can't because the owner's house bank is full. I know I've done that before, and vice versa, and it's not a very fun thing to have to deal with when you login and you get notes from buyers saying to empty out your housing bank. Now, while 50 mil may seem excessive (That tax HURTS when you transfer to the bank...) and I feel that any transactions over 10 mil should be done in person anyways (That's just the salesperson in me talking), 25 mil seems to be a comfortable cap to sit at. That way, owners must at least check in once a day, if not to refresh their coupons, and owners are not hit with a very large tax cut in the long run.

Using the House as a House
    • As I said earlier, yeah, some better choices would be nice. Perhaps things that crafters can make? I can see carpenters making beds, tables, cabinets, shelves, and chairs; tailors making window curtains, table cloths, rugs, and bed sheets; smiths can probably make decorative items like frames, mirrors, stands, and other small trinkets; handicrafters can probably make wallpaper of different colors with paints we get from homestead to decorate the walls. Honestly, it's just looking at what we have and expand on it in a logically reasonably way. The aforementioned is just a small list that comes to mind.

• A fireplace option, or even a kitchenette, is something that comes to mind. That way, people can cook in their house. After all, even dorms have some sort of common area for cooking and eating, right?

• Storage I am a little iffy about since I don't want another in-house closet item issue happening again. But, if the devs can fix it, then more power for them and the players! Maybe if they do implement it back in, there can be two version: one from the cash shop or one from carpenters. Of course, the one from players would be smaller with no expiration while the cash shop one is significantly larger (50% perhaps?) but has an expiration time that is extendable with a cash shop key that way, at least there's a choice of being player-made or cash shop without forcing players with only one option.

Think that's all I can think of at this hour. I'll see if more ideas pop up during work.

I do have other things but unfortunately, it is time for work >.<
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    Personally, we need to bring more perks back to being a VIP user, so I think that granting those with Housing a higher gold limit than the Belvast license should be a given.
  • MyutoMyuto
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,335
    Let me add a little idea for a revamp!

I feel like the housing channel and homesteads, which both have houses, are redundant if they both exist. It's true homesteads are free, although this isn't entirely true; homesteads require PON to have fancy decorations and some resources which could play in nicely if housing and homesteads were merged.

VIP could replace PON (because I feel it's super dumb that we have PON) and allow players to build unique exclusives if they have the service. Also, it would allow a new depth option to homesteads; selling and listing items from the now merged VIP house in your homestead would be exclusive to VIP members, while decorating and the size of the house is based on the house level. (which could also play a role in how many listed items you could have/gold capacity?) This would in turn allow free players to be able to upgrade and decorate their house, while VIP players have the new feature of being able to sell items and store gold in their houses which are registered on the housing market.

I don't know too much about servers though and how it could be managed...But, I feel this can be worked around; If a player enters their homestead and then house interior, they would be switched to the housing channel. If they have a flier, they could be teleported directly to the interior of their house and thus switch channels. The entrance to the homestead house would act only as a means of teleporting to your housing interior in the housing channel.

Dunno, still up in the air... ^-^"
    Myuto wrote: »
    Let me add a little idea for a revamp!

I feel like the housing channel and homesteads, which both have houses, are redundant if they both exist. It's true homesteads are free, although this isn't entirely true; homesteads require PON to have fancy decorations and some resources which could play in nicely if housing and homesteads were merged.

VIP could replace PON (because I feel it's super dumb that we have PON) and allow players to build unique exclusives if they have the service. Also, it would allow a new depth option to homesteads; selling and listing items from the now merged VIP house in your homestead would be exclusive to VIP members, while decorating and the size of the house is based on the house level. (which could also play a role in how many listed items you could have/gold capacity?) This would in turn allow free players to be able to upgrade and decorate their house, while VIP players have the new feature of being able to sell items and store gold in their houses which are registered on the housing market.

I don't know too much about servers though and how it could be managed...But, I feel this can be worked around; If a player enters their homestead and then house interior, they would be switched to the housing channel. If they have a flier, they could be teleported directly to the interior of their house and thus switch channels. The entrance to the homestead house would act only as a means of teleporting to your housing interior in the housing channel.

Dunno, still up in the air... ^-^"

As long as housing is used for selling things, it's a bad idea to try to combine it with Homesteads. At best, it's just redundant. Of course, I wouldn't mind homestead houses being a thing at all, if we were to get the Auction House people keep mentioning, and if that were to replace the housing channel entirely (I don't know that it would, since I don't know how it works exactly). I just don't like the idea of homesteads being a gate to the housing channel. The only reason I could see for doing this would be moving homesteads to the housing channel for whatever reason, which a lot of players would probably be opposed to, and which probably wouldn't be done even if they weren't.

Now (at the risk of getting slightly off topic), that part concerning VIP and pon interested me, because I was thinking something similar earlier when I read what Falconade said. I don't necessarily like the idea of getting rid of pon entirely (not that pon is great, I just don't see any good reason to get rid of it), but it would be neat if VIP offered some of the things that can be obtained with pon, or something which compounds the benefits of pon items. As an example, I was thinking that if we did have things like mirrors, they could be used to 'store' some appearance options which would normally cost pon to select, and these could be changed at will, in game, for free as long as VIP is active (though it would make sense to require a one-time pon payment upon registering these options to the mirror).
  • FalcondaeFalcondae
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,555
    I feel the urge to have to address since I think you're missing some points.

As I pointed out in a previous thread, which is now locked:

Problem with that. If housing is supposed to be VIP only and Homesteads [technically speaking] are free, it wouldn't make any sense to lump them together.

For one, Homesteads are supposed to be free in the sense that you don't have to pay real money to use, or even own, it. You shouldn't have to pay to enter a house that you own, right? Same thing here. You shouldn't have to pay to enter your house on a homestead since you own it. With housing, it's different because you're renting it, which means it's not permanent.

Second, housing is on a different server partition/channel. Data there is separate from the rest of the game. People use homesteads for material farming, hanging out, and other things. To be honest, I'd hate to have to go to the housing channel just to use my homestead since I almost always have a shop up, and that's even if I have a rental. Besides, most games will keep the housing/personal channel separate from the rest of the game just to make certain that it stays as stable as possible (I remember the times when the rest of the game wasn't stable and people ported to the housing channel in order to stay in game while everything else was in maintenance. So this reasoning is more of a technical thing.

For the most part on a very fundamental level, Homesteads are free and housing is not. For basic function without the fancy stuff, a homestead only requires gold and in-game resources, which are easily obtained, either through farming or through other players. To have the extra fancy/advanced stuff (outside of events), say Steam or Dry Oven for alchemists, yeah, you will be shelling out a real world currency converted to in-game currency (Pons), which brings us to the next suggestion.

Um, no. Pon is basically Nexon's way of rewarding an in-game currency to be only used with Mabinogi, nothing else. You can think of it as a fail-safe of sorts for events. Unlike rewarding NX and having it accessible in other games, Nexon introduced Pons as a means for people who do not have access to NX to be able to enjoy certain little changes or amenities that are usually left for those who buy NX regularly somehow, either through other players, or buying it themselves as Karma Koins, or even charging through Credit Cards or other means of eCommerce. Not a lot of people have some of these options, and for players to be able to somehow earn Pons through events is a very nice thing. Oh, and just to point out, when you charge a credit card, there are service fees that the company pays (Hence why some times there are minimums in some stores), which most of the time is a drop in a bucket for large companies, but when you charge it every single time for something that's only like a few cents (I think the rate is 1 Pon = $.09...? Correct me if I'm wrong on this), that service fee is gonna ramp up fast. So, Pons are actually a good thing for those with no access to company currency, especially if you just want to change a look or two (Better than the old way when you always had to buy character cards just to do that, which was quite a bit in the past). Not to mention it's just easier for Nexon to reward those during events as opposed to NX.

At best, as AlmostNotsuper pointed out, housing and homestead is more redundant than anything (Keep in mind, Homesteads were introduced WAY after the housing districts were, which was introduced in G3. Homesteads were towards G9+. This was Nexon's reply to having a personal space that you can actually control to an extent). At worse, you're mixing the idea of rental vs. actually owning, and to actually overhaul the housing channel to what you're proposing is a bit of a nightmare (I'm trying not to think about it on a technical level here). Also, to make Homesteads a gateway to the player's house is sort of self-defeating since then, you limit the amount of people who have access to your house by a LOT. Not to mention that this would also defeat the idea of visiting another house without logging out of the housing channel just to visit another house. You see where this is going? Oh, and another thing: While they are used to help players sell their wares/act as storage, the housing districts were also a gold sink at that time since those with VIP generally did end up making more gold than someone who didn't have services.

Personally, an Auction House is great, but that should be a separate system of its own (Refer to World of Warcraft's Auction House system if you want to go deeper and get an idea of how it works. It's more of a guide on how to use it a bit more efficiently, but the first parts will give you a glance at the system. If you want me to go into the specifics of it, I'll be glad to explain it in-game. Just send a friend request to my forum name). Unlike housing, Auction House would be just item holding. There's no worrying about changing channels, you can actually set auctions for a small fee since you're still using the game to help list your items, and if an auction times out, items are just sent back to your mailbox, and EVERYONE has access to it. Simple, effective, maybe a bit annoying at times, especially for people who list single-unit items for things that actually stack (This is, by definition, a form of griefing and would probably warrant you an ignore by everyone. So don't be that guy and cause trouble for everyone). Probably the few things I would set as limitations is limiting single-unit stackable sales to only 5 units per item (So only 5 single-units of Holy Water can be listed while stacked items have larger allowances), limit of 10 transactions a day so as not to flood the auction house (VIP can probably have the limit set to 20 or even 30), and there must be at least 5 or 10 gold difference when it comes to trying to compete with other auctioneers (I hate it when people undercut by one gold just to get a better listing. At least do better than that... Come on...).

Think that's all I have for now. Too big of a wall already.
  • MyutoMyuto
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,335
    Hello again Falcondae! ^-^ I've read your looonnggg suggestion and I have a few constructive comments!

For your first paragraph, I would like to mention that I'm simply trying to find a way for non-vip players to have features that are exclusive those fortunate to have housing: the ability to decorate interiors. I personally would love to do this, as I'm a huge fan of games like The Sims, but I'm not a fan of having to decorate a homestead (which only takes PON for many aesthetic items) AND needing VIP and GOLD (which only takes NX) to decorate an interior. This makes things very inaccessible having to purchase NX which purchases pon and having to use NX, pon, and gold to be able to decorate my homestead and house. And I'm not the only person who would really like to decorate interiors: take Darkpixie99's poll which voted that the most desired revamp was interior decoration in homestead houses!

For your second paragraph, I also would like to mention why I feel PON is/was a terrible idea. You mention that a company loses money with each microtrasaction with eCommerce while at the same time supporting a microtransaction. Pon is a microtransaction within a microtransaction which defeats the purpose of it saving money! I feel it would be much better if pon were removed, and the features you could buy with pon were instead exclusive to VIP since it allows 1 day - 90 day transactions. People could just buy VIP for one day which grants them the ability to build things in homesteads and change their appearance for 24 hours or however long they pay with the added bonus of VIP services.

And onto your last suggestion! I love the idea of having an auction house like WoW, but I couldn't think of how it would fit in with the idea of having two redundant houses...So I thought of a sort-of radical idea! Why not make the housing channel a trade hub where people could go and trade? This could include an auction house, player-built/rented shops (old houses), and a castle which oversees trades! I would also love if shops could be upgraded from a merchant stand to possibly a multi-level trading guild which would require building materials similar to the guild-castle. This of course could be exclusive to VIP, while non-VIP could still use Dunbarton/Belvast...Or the auction house as a means of selling goods!

There's a ton of cool ideas that could be added to make it even more exciting, but it's clear these features need to be cleaned and improved; since housing did come out in g3 and are just really early homesteads with less features...but, you can sell items that are heavily taxed! so that's good? ^-^"
    edited April 5, 2017
    Hello again Falcondae! ^-^ I've read your looonnggg suggestion and I have a few constructive comments!

For your first paragraph, I would like to mention that I'm simply trying to find a way for non-vip players to have features that are exclusive those fortunate to have housing: the ability to decorate interiors. I personally would love to do this, as I'm a huge fan of games like The Sims, but I'm not a fan of having to decorate a homestead (which only takes PON for many aesthetic items) AND needing VIP and GOLD (which only takes NX) to decorate an interior. This makes things very inaccessible having to purchase NX which purchases pon and having to use NX, pon, and gold to be able to decorate my homestead and house. And I'm not the only person who would really like to decorate interiors: take Darkpixie99's poll which voted that the most desired revamp was interior decoration in homestead houses!

Yep. You're definitely right about this.
    For your second paragraph, I also would like to mention why I feel PON is/was a terrible idea. You mention that a company loses money with each microtrasaction with eCommerce while at the same time supporting a microtransaction. Pon is a microtransaction within a microtransaction which defeats the purpose of it saving money! I feel it would be much better if pon were removed, and the features you could buy with pon were instead exclusive to VIP since it allows 1 day - 90 day transactions. People could just buy VIP for one day which grants them the ability to build things in homesteads and change their appearance for 24 hours or however long they pay with the added bonus of VIP services.

Look a little closer. The reason Falconade cited for microtransactions being expensive was the service fees - which are exclusive to charges from a credit card, and not an inherent part of the microtransactions themselves. Once Nexon has converted our moneys into NX, they can do whatever they want with it, whenever they want. The only way that fee could possibly be affecting PON is if people are buying miniscule amounts of NX via credit card whenever they feel like buying PON. I don't even know if that's possible, since I've only ever used the credit card option here once, but most services have a minimum amount you can charge anyway, as Falconade mentioned.

Anyway, while you could say the PON system is more complicated than it needs to be, the pros it gives (more customization without the cost of a character card primarily, but also the ability to give it out in-game for free) outweigh that con. Not to mention, any simplification would probably be meaninigless - all I can see them doing is displaying costs in tiny amounts of NX instead of PON. This is why I said that, while I'm not a huge fan of the pon system, I don't see any good reason to get rid of it. I see no reason not to give VIP players some amount of pon benefits for 'free', but there's no reason to remove pon from the game and make it exclusive to VIP either. It would only limit most players more.
    And onto your last suggestion! I love the idea of having an auction house like WoW, but I couldn't think of how it would fit in with the idea of having two redundant houses...So I thought of a sort-of radical idea! Why not make the housing channel a trade hub where people could go and trade? This could include an auction house, player-built/rented shops (old houses), and a castle which oversees trades! I would also love if shops could be upgraded from a merchant stand to possibly a multi-level trading guild which would require building materials similar to the guild-castle. This of course could be exclusive to VIP, while non-VIP could still use Dunbarton/Belvast...Or the auction house as a means of selling goods!

There's a ton of cool ideas that could be added to make it even more exciting, but it's clear these features need to be cleaned and improved; since housing did come out in g3 and are just really early homesteads with less features...but, you can sell items that are heavily taxed! so that's good? ^-^"

Bleh. I hadn't thought of it as a literal auction house until just now, when I read both of your comments. That irks me a little for some reason, but what we do now with party ads is basically an auction anyway, so it'd be nice to clear up the party chat channel I guess. People would probably flood it anyway, but maybe they wouldn't bother to AFK just to do so.

I like your ideas in this paragraph, it kind of clears up the rest of what you were trying to say in your other post. With this in mind, your demand for a more elaborate personal housing system in Homesteads makes more sense. I agree that changing the housing areas into market areas is a good idea, since people pretty much only use them for that anyway. I could see a bunch of stalls being set up in place of most of the houses, and the auction house could go in the center. The stalls don't even all have to be VIP only (more people=more effective goldsink with lesser taxes), but VIP should get you some sort of benefit.

While you're at it, might as well improve the guild aspect. Maybe turn some of the largest houses into guild shops/halls (not just a literal guild hallway, which is what we have now). Make the guild castle more interesting, and DEFINITELY do something with the housing dungeons. I could see them being an instanced raid kind of thing for guilds. I can even imagine some lore to go along with this... I'd better stop before I slip into rant mode.