Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Bard Skill Revamp

YellowBinYellowBin
Mabinogi Rep: 1,320
in Feedback and Suggestions
I was just imagining how cool it would be to have a full score played during battle.
But the incentives aren't there to really do that, the buff activation is almost instantaneous allowing for the bard to just end the song right there.

If bard buff skills increased in parameter per tick or set time, then composition rank and length of music will become a more crucial aspect of combat and support.

Lullaby for example, the longer the music plays the longer the enemies should sleep makes sense..but it would mess up a ton of the implemented game mechanics already present like the music length buffs.

Bfo, every cycle of the skill or however long the music plays gradually grants more and more stat bonuses.

Help me develop this idea and see where it goes.

Comments

• HazurahHazurah
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,570
    can we have something like "deadly lullaby" that can damage enemies per seconds without agrooing (in rain) like hydra do
    that would be awesome
  • SiodhanSiodhan
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,825
    While I like the idea of giving bard more of a niche, especially if it comes to a full bard (ever since the starlet update it's become a staple side-hoe to everyone and their grandma, really), I would also hate to see some of its current usefulness go.
    Second problem, with how the game is headed, instant multi-aggro is becoming so prominent that there's no way you can EVER pull off sustained playing in any kind of actual battle situation unless you ahve a level 200 tank pet with maxed out divine link to go with it in endgame content, which in my opinion is the very point of buffing people past their limits.

So, where does this leave us?
    One could contribute to the neverending power creep and make it so that skills like BFO will continue to work the same way as they did before (you use the skill, yo uget a buff that lasts for a duration), but ON TOP of that, there will be a bonus for continuous playing that will keep going higher until it caps at a reasonable level that lasts ONLY during the skill being played, with the range of the skill overall gradually going up as you keep playing so that a larger playfield can be affected.

To prevent the player from being knocked out of the song, you could give them temporary adv. heavy stander, but with no additional damage reduction. So if they get whacked, they still get whacked in full. You can't really allow the player to move while playing because that's enthralling performance's thing, let's not go there. So extended range with heavy stander is as far as I'd take it, honestly.

On top of all of this, this should be permitted only to people playing or singing with actual instruments, so that not just any random hillbilly can do it, just like before. This could be a way to make bard more worthwhile as a standalone talent than a side-hoe (even though standalone is pushing it, given how it'll be pure support, but you get the idea).

Lastly, about the skill that damages per tick. I've had an idea for that long ago, but I was too lazy to ever suggest it as its own thing because it'll lose out in terms of dps to basically everything else, so the only point would be to add another hydra-type damage as you suggested. I'd call it Cacophony and it'd play notes really horribly while damaging every enemy in range of it.

Perhaps as an afterthought, it might be cool to add an instrument mastery skill that would serve to make dischord deal just a little bit more damage and increase buff duration (not effect. we have enough of that). Also release all unfair gacha-only buff effect enchants into the wild (or in cases like allegro, allow them to enchant EXACTLY the same things as some of the items come pre-enchanted as) to give people further incentives to actually play as bard. I already have all of them, so I don't exactly care that much, but it has always bugged me to no damn end that every damn thing that actually heavily impacts endgame has to rely on cash-shop, not any kind of effort brought forth by the player in the game.
    Dcat682