Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Server Merge? Yes PLEASE

AnngiekinzAnngiekinz
Mabinogi Rep: 100
in General Chat
I wanted to start playing Mabi again after a longggg break and found that my home server, Tarlach, is DEAD, DECEASED, GONE. What? I saw maybe 10 people the whole hour I was on! ON THE SHOPPING CHANNEL. Wut? This literally hurts my heart. Why hasn't Nexon NA done a server merge? I don't want to play is I'm the only one on! I'm sure others feel the same. This is so sad.

Comments

• JanghalaJanghala
    Mabinogi Rep: 310
    edited October 10, 2018
    *sigh* I'm not happy guys. I've invested so much time, money, and energy in this game. Yet, I have no one to share the fruits of my labor with. My server has been on life support for the longest time now, and I'm honestly ready to give up. The server population issue is a wound that continues to be left to fester. Countless times have countless people petitioned Nexon to merge the servers, or at least allow players to transfer to a different server, and countless times have their voices fallen on deaf ears. Nothing is being done. So in one final, desperate attempt to reach anyone that might listen to our pleas for change, I will propose a new solution to this ongoing issue. I propose a server shuffle. Its different from a server merge, or a server transfer, in the sense that the current servers will only be replaced by new servers. From these new servers players will be be able to anonymously transfer all their existing data. Players will be given notice of the server transfer in advance so as to coordinate who they'd like to play with. As for the "same name" issue; I propose that all players be obligated to choose a new name after the server shuffle takes place. I understand that many people wish to retain their current names, because its something that any player comes to consider as being part of their identity. To resolve this issue I might suggest that older players be given priority in some regard to this matter, but all players be given the option to reserve names in advance in some capacity. It's time for a new beginning. The time of the Three Lost Warriors is over, and their respective servers should have ended with them. Only in death can new life be born.
  • HellkaizerHellkaizer
    Mabinogi Rep: 11,305
    Janghala wrote: »
    *sigh* I'm not happy guys. I've invested so much time, money, and energy in this game. Yet, I have no one to share the fruits of my labor with. My server has been on life support for the longest time now, and I'm honestly ready to give up. The server population issue is a wound that continues to be left to fester. Countless times have countless people petitioned Nexon to merge the servers, or at least allow players to transfer to a different server, and countless times have their voices fallen on deaf ears. Nothing is being done. So in one final, desperate attempt to reach anyone that might listen to our pleas for change, I will propose a new solution to this ongoing issue. I propose a server shuffle. Its different from a server merge, or a server transfer, in the sense that the current servers will only be replaced by new servers. From these new servers players will be be able to anonymously transfer all their existing data. Players will be given notice of the server transfer in advance so as to coordinate who they'd like to play with. As for the "same name" issue; I propose that all players be obligated to choose a new name after the server shuffle takes place. I understand that many people wish to retain their current names, because its something that any player comes to consider as being part of their identity. To resolve this issue I might suggest that older players be given priority in some regard to this matter, but all players be given the option to reserve names in advance in some capacity. It's time for a new beginning. The time of the Three Lost Warriors is over, and their respective servers should have ended with them. Only in death can new life be born.

It won't happen because some NA players can't fathom the thought of not having the unique username xx_godofde4th_x or Kirito212940812.

If your username is so common that it gets sniped instantly, I'm sorry, it wasn't unique. I know people do have attachment to user names as I do my own, but willing to continually cause harm to the game so you can be "special" is wrong. It's absolutely mindblowing that some people are so set on being special that they wouldn't even be willing to have a (R/T/A/M) at the end of their name.
    GretaVeylaineBronzebreakKrissyPootelTHICCthighssavelivesKagaCrimsọn
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    edited October 8, 2018
    I'd just like an International AH. I'm just playing the market now as a past time since I have 600m+ worth of stuff I'd like to make a profit on instead of liquidating. My Servers POP just isn't making the deals easy since it's usually the same folks who is bargaining...

I wanna break a billion in the bank and just spend my days hunting collabs guds to finish my OCD collections. :(
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    Get into a guild. That's the cliche now to find people 2 play with.
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    Nexon probably hasn't done a server merge because a lot of work goes into that sort of thing. You have to worry about name conflicts, which if Nexon doesn't do anything about could make the audience incredibly angry. Plus, there's the issue of how many players and their pets we're talking about (that's a lot of player files). That's just the tip of iceberg in regard to what they'd have to deal with.

Also, OP, just curious. With the Auction House releasing (and making shops kind of moot) wouldn't it be possible for a new channel to be the most popular one?
  • LeineiLeinei
    Hellkaizer wrote: »
    If your username is so common that it gets sniped instantly, I'm sorry, it wasn't unique. I know people do have attachment to user names as I do my own, but willing to continually cause harm to the game so you can be "special" is wrong. It's absolutely mindblowing that some people are so set on being special that they wouldn't even be willing to have a (R/T/A/M) at the end of their name.

I totally wouldn't mind a tag saying where I originally came from. =D

Also, this is the second Server Merge thread tag and they were apparently both made at 12:42pm today, so expect those to get merged too. =T
    Jazmyn
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,870
    edited October 8, 2018
    Hellkaizer wrote: »

It won't happen because some NA players can't fathom the thought of not having the unique username xx_godofde4th_x or Kirito212940812.

There are a couple problems with usernames in this argument- personally, yeah, I'd be hecka upset if I lost my name (I'm very picky, that I will admit) but at the same time a great workaround to this would to also give us name changing in the cash shop.

Also, it's less about being special, but having made an identity for yourself over the years only to have changes made to it. I know, not a good argument, but people are picky like that. I've never let this get in the way of me wanting a merge though (I'm more worried about Dunbarton and Belvast shop spaces). Names are just a small, dissatisfying price to pay for something that benefits the larger population of the game.

BronzebreakLeinei
  • CaissaCaissa
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,175
    Anngiekinz wrote: »
    I wanted to start playing Mabi again after a longggg break and found that my home server, Tarlach, is DEAD, DECEASED, GONE. What? I saw maybe 10 people the whole hour I was on! ON THE SHOPPING CHANNEL. Wut? This literally hurts my heart. Why hasn't Nexon NA done a server merge? I don't want to play is I'm the only one on! I'm sure others feel the same. This is so sad.

I don't know, your post was in the morning on a weekday, so it seems as if you were looking for people when most players would be at work or school. Most people don't use the Market Channel after the Auction House update. It would also really depend on where you are looking for people. Most of the afk people are probably at Lake Neagh right now.
  • CaissaCaissa
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,175
    Janghala wrote: »

This doesn't sound like a good idea. Not only does it sound like more work than a server merge, but forcing everyone to rename everything (obligated to make it different?) sounds unnecessary. This is basically the same thing as a merge except instead of merging to one server we have multiple for some reason. Also it's pretty coincidental to see two Server Merge threads posted at the same time on the same day by users with 1 post.
    Bronzebreak
  • LeineiLeinei
    Caissa wrote: »

I don't know, your post was in the morning on a weekday, so it seems as if you were looking for people when most players would be at work or school. Most people don't use the Market Channel after the Auction House update. It would also really depend on where you are looking for people. Most of the afk people are probably at Lake Neagh right now.

Oh yeah. I forgot about the time of day thing. So used to soloing because I've been ranking skills a lot by myself lately. XD
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    No one has to worry about losing character names. Before a merge, Nexon just has to add a hidden field to every characters record in order to make them unique despite having the same name of a character on another server. If, say, you want to send a note to them, when there are multiple characters of the same name, a context menu can show up and ask something like Blabla from Tarlach, Blabla from Ruari, or Blabla from Mari; and then you pick.

The only thing that people will need to worry about is whether their guild stone will be in the same spot or not; woop dee doo.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Anyone one think there would be any sinister individuals that might intentionally steal someone's character name?

On a serious note, I would have security concerns of hacking during a merge. There would be numerous issues that would have to be addressed in a transition especially with how vulnerable cybersecurity has been as of late.
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    edited October 10, 2018

Market Channel is 7 now. Either that, or you're clearly looking in the wrong places.

Tarlach isn't dead. You just need to spend more than five seconds actively looking.
    Anyone one think there would be any sinister individuals that might intentionally steal someone's character name?

On a serious note, I would have security concerns of hacking during a merge. There would be numerous issues that would have to be addressed in a transition especially with how vulnerable cybersecurity has been as of late.

A very good point.

Not to mention that, while having gotten better compared to the past, Nexon still has quite a few issues. The LAST thing I would trust them with is a server merge.
  • LeineiLeinei
    The names issue is the main reason I'd be opposed to a server merge. If people have a free-for-all trying to get their names instead of just adding a tag to the end of their name, then that's just going to stress people out. They should have the option to change their name if they're unsatisfied with it, but everyone (in all servers) should have a tag on their name reflecting the server of their creation.
    Sebastian
  • HelsaHelsa

There will be no opportunity to steal character names whatsoever because there will be no reason to delete them. A server merge is just a database merge, nothing more. There would be no reason to clear a characters name field; likely that field is set to NOT NULL meaning it can't be made blank. No one will have to fight to get their name back.

Hacking will also not be an issue. Again, this is a database merge. It all occurs internally inside a building in LA and then goes live in the new state. There will be no opportunity to hack because there will be nothing to hack.
    SyrusMarufujiBronzebreak
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760

Helsa wrote: »

There will be no opportunity to steal character names whatsoever because there will be no reason to delete them. A server merge is just a database merge, nothing more. There would be no reason to clear a characters name field; likely that field is set to NOT NULL meaning it can't be made blank. No one will have to fight to get their name back.

Hacking will also not be an issue. Again, this is a database merge. It all occurs internally inside a building in LA and then goes live in the new state. There will be no opportunity to hack because there will be nothing to hack.

Obviously, you've never witnessed Nexon at their "finest" /sarcmark. The issue with names comes when people on different servers have the same username, and one is forced to change theirs. Or, in the likely event people are asked to enter a new name during the merge (so that no name conflicts happen when finally merging the servers).
  • HelsaHelsa
    Obviously, you've never witnessed Nexon at their "finest" /sarcmark. The issue with names comes when people on different servers have the same username, and one is forced to change theirs. Or, in the likely event people are asked to enter a new name during the merge (so that no name conflicts happen when finally merging the servers).

As the database is set up today, you are technically correct. So to make a server merge they first will need to add a field to the character record in order to be able able to distinguish between Buttmunch55 of Tarlach and Buttmunch55 of Alexina. So they will add that field and that will solve the problem. After the merge, if you want to send a note to Buttmunch55, a context menu would pop up and ask if you mean Buttmunch55 from Tarlach or Buttmunch55 from Alexina; easy peasy.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Lol Buttmunch55 is the digital name of John Smith and Jane Doe xD

Another issue is how to manage
    1. People with different main characters on different servers.
    2. People with different accounts for different servers.
    Bronzebreak