Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Food and hunger

YokeimonoYokeimono
Mabinogi Rep: 800
in General Chat
After seeing the Delicious in Dungeon anime, it made me think of Mabinogi's hunger system. I wish hunger would be more crucial to the gameplay. Food seems to be its own system but is an optional part of gameplay. It's unfortunate when Mabinogi has lots of food but not many bother with it or even learn to advance the skill. I know there are players that do use Catering while in parties but it's also an option not many use.
Mabinogi has a sort of hidden mechanic of body weight too which also has been forgotten.

Comments

• AquasolAquasol
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,465
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    I do wish eating had more of a presence! But can also see how it would disrupt the flow, not to mention means sacrificing even more inventory space.

I used to pack tons of strawberries in my bags, and kept milk in my cow pet for that very reason :3
    Yokeimono
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited March 2
    At first thought making the need to address hunger more realistically important seems interesting but there are a couple problems with it:
    - If you die of hunger, you just respawn, making a new hunger system not only annoying but pointless.
    - It will make the game more tedious. A more tedious game will make people leave.

I do agree that the food mechanic, presently, is and can be ignored and something should be done to change that. I think though the answer is, pardon the pun, the carrot and not the stick. Rather than punishing for not eating boost the rewards for doing so; it's obvious that the present rewards for eating isn't worth it.

I'm a giantesse and I like being a sticc rather than thicc. Do you know how hard it is for a giantesse to keep a slim figure! Make it worthwhile enough for me to bother, don't force me.
    Yokeimono
  • YokeimonoYokeimono
    Mabinogi Rep: 800
    edited March 6
    Not so much realistic but the Hunger+Stamina status bar should be more active like it used to be or even while still developing a character build. The mechanic or the system, for Hunger specifically, will not be biased to whatever the character is. Players who stand doing nothing will need to replenish their hunger too not just those doing life skills or those in combat.
    Stamina is integral to some skills, yet some play styles or combat preference will not use Stamina as much. If hunger was more significant in its overall loss gradually, players would be more willing to replenish it instead of forgetting it exists.

However, it would be more dynamic if the Hunger system did benefit those with a certain physique or build to make players customize how they look in-game; whether they're ample or gaunt, or voluptuous or muscular. Again, whether they are Elf or Giant, it won't matter but if they choose to be muscular or thin, the Hunger system will then impact how much they lose from the Stamina bar.

. . .

Punishment system for Hunger would be the player is slow to move. If the devs would allow a "nauseous" particle effect, those effects they give to RP quests, or anything to emphasize the player needs food.
    Monsters become stronger against the player and other debuffs maybe given to the player's status too.
    Stomach growls, or some instrument sound like the default sounds players have already for success and failure or even a new sound entirely. The work around to slow movement is to mount a pet, however it won't solve the slow attack speed. Pets also get the same punishment if they are not fed.
    Fynni pets and other specific pets should have a different kind of form of hunger like loss of mana instead. Some pets don't appear to be able to eat or eat similar things as others. (I wish Fynni have the texture of ghosts, that cel shading of glowing silhouettes but still have the same miniature form of whatever they represent.)

Starvation...
    Death from starvation should result in a title and unlock a mini-game of some sort, just before they pass-out. The player will enter a slow paced and hazy world for that moment. They will meet some existing character like Nao or one of the in-game chefs, or some new NPC. What the game is should be food related, they could just meet Nao to make it simple too. If the player logs in as their pet who is hungry or starving, they will also get the same mini-game and title.