Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Dice PvP

SrangSrang
Mabinogi Rep: 600
edited January 18, 2017 in General Chat
I'm unsure wether or not this is something that has been done before, but I felt bored one day so I decided to make a small mini-game.

Cheers. You're now trying to learn the simple game of Dice PvP. Here are your starter kit of knowledge.
This game relies on dice, as the title implies. When you are the attacker the dies will represent the "attack". When you are the defender the dies will represent your "dodge".

First let's begin with what being the attacker means.
You will throw a dice and hope that the RNG supports you over the other one…you will attack with points. These points are gained by having a higher attack dice than the defenders dodge dice. If the attacker rolls a 5 and the defender rolls a 2, then you get 3 points. The attacker can now choose to spend these 3 points on a 3 point skill or several other skills.
The exceptions here are 6's. if your 6 is higher than the other number it's 6 points, unless it's against a 1, then it's 12 points.
You have to agree before the match if points carry over rounds or not. If the points carry over it might be nice to keep a limit too, so it's still a bit of a gamble. In other words, if you roll over points you can only ever reach as high as 6, even if you get a 12. This is to make rolling points over not completely broken...I will wait until someone explains how they managed to still break it, later here.
Points roll for 4 rounds, before they are removed, if you don't get 6 until then. This means if you roll 4 1pointers adding a total of 4p, you can now use those 4points, but if you don't you lose the first 1p, leaving you with 3p.
Another version again is that you can get over 6, but if you do while saving you have to play it with that amount of points, immediately.

The price list I have added is more of a suggestion, than it is rules. Moreover other skills will always be added to the fray and with their own tweaks. There is no definitive edition perfectly made yet. And even there, homebrew is a thing.

The following rules can be decided on as you go along: what happens when you have a tie? You have two options for your game; Reroll or War. If Reroll it's simple you just reroll.
In case of War you will both roll 3 dies and be on the attacking side. That means even the defender can attack if they win this. The loser of the war will be the next attacker.
In case of a tie in the war, you can also make a "Big War" which is just adding 3 more dies. in case of a tie make a bigger war. 3 more dies. etc etc etc in other words, big war is 6 dies, bigger war is 9 dies, and whatever you wish to call it is even higher.

Another rule is the 1's. the common rule is that if you get a 6 against a 1 as an attacker you get 12. A twist on that rule is to make all numbers facing 1's to double. That means 2 against a 1 is a 4, 3 is a 6, und so weiter und so fort. This is known as "Cursed 1's".

Another important thing is to remove some skills which simply ruins the balance;
- Mana Shield
- Life drain
- Snapcast
- Transformations, demi and Paladin/darknight/beasty/birdy
- Dischord
- Final Hit
- All Crusader skills except judgement blade (this one can be changed)
- Mirage Missile
- Respite

Equipment allowed
- You start off with no equipment, no armor, no shields and no weapons.
- Every piece of equipment you want to equip costs 1p. Some games have rules about only having weapons and shields but no armor. This is up to individual tastes

Reforges and Enchantments both add 0.5 points, which are rounded down to lowest whole number.
The basic armor prices are stated below, but to account for armor with higher, just make it 0.20p more per def over the natural limit of your armor. Same with protection.
For each Step upgrade 1p is added to the price.

in case of higher levels:
- if the other party is over 4k higher level than you, you get 2p and then 0.5p more for every level rounded up to the highest whole number. Naturally as there is a cap limit for stats we shall count the limit at 20k as most seem to have reached the cap by then.
- if the other party is 10k higher level, you get to equip armor, cost free.
- if the other party is 15k higher level, you hope RNG will support you and weapon free. From experience, you will need it.

Equipment price list
1p
- all weapons below 150 max damage
- arrows (this is highly optional and should mostly be asked first)
- Small shields
- Normal clothes. Why? If you don't want to be naked, there's robes.

2p
- weapons with 150-250 dmg and no penetration
- weapons with level 1 penetration up to 149dmg
- medium shields

3p
- weapons 250-350 max damage
- weapons 150-250 max damage with penetration level 1
- weapons with penetration level 2 up to 99 max damage
- light armor with normal stats
- Merlin knuckles
- alch shields
- large shields
4p
the pattern kind of describes itself here, no?

5p
heavy armor with normal stats

Etiquette
- Make sure to say if you defended a roll or not so people don't get confused, to avoid confusion after drawn out games
- Let attacker roll first then defender, to avoid confusion about rolls.

Price list Magic
12p
- Advanced magic
- Full charge int magic
- Judgement blade (You summon a huge flying sword, tell me that isn't magic)
9p
- 3charges of int magic
8p
- 5 charges of firebolt
6p
- 2 charges of int magic
- 3 charges of firebolt
5p
- 5 charges of Icebolt
- 5 charges of lightningbolt
4p
- 4 charges of icebolt
- 4 charges of lightningbolt
- 2 charges of firebolt
- Blaze
3p
- Shockwave
- 1 charge of int magic
- 3 charges of icebolt
- 3 charges of lightning bolt
2p
- 2 charges of icebolt
- 2 charges of lightning bolt
- 1 charge of firebolt
- Magic shields....This one is tricky. To be able to use this one, you would need a third person, a referee, whom you would tell which of the shields you were going to use. if the other side then decides to use magic after that, you are allowed to use that shield. This is mostly because this method is in danger of "I was always planning to use X shield against X element". If anyone ever manages to make this work another way, please tell me. Score scrolls dropped on the ground could work now that I think about it, provided nobody picks them up...
1p
1 charge of icebolt
1charge of lightning bolt

Price List Melee

1p
- one normal attack with 1 weapon
- assault slash

2p
- 1 attack when dualwielding
- Counter
- Defense
- Windmill
- Stage 1 chain

4p
- Smash
- Bash
- Lance Charge

5p
- Stage 2 chain

9p
- Stage 3 chain

Price List Ranged

1p
- Normal shot/throw (not elves)
- Support shot

2p
- elves normal shot
- Urgent shot
- Crash Shot (How I wish I could do multi pvp with dies...)
- Arrow revolver first shot
- one shot of final shot, in case someone wondered. This, like throwing rocks serves no real special purpose other than being able to do it.
4p
-Magnum Shot
- Arrow revolver 2nd shot
6p
-Arrow revolver 3rd shot
8p
-Arrow revolver 4th and 5th shot

Hope anyone better acquainted with the other skills will help with input or just someone will use this to amuse themselves. And remember to honour the 1d6 used by doing this at 6%. Or whatever you feel like really. As long as you have fun.
  1. Will you actually try to play this?6 votes
    1. Yes
       33% (2 votes)
    2. No
       17% (1 vote)
    3. Srang needs to get out of Tir
       50% (3 votes)

Comments

• BerryswirlBerryswirl
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,140
    Wow, this is really creative and thought out.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    NERD!!!
  • KttyKtty
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,415
    Gaea said:

NERD!!!
    Now now..... They're people too...
  • SrangSrang
    I'd say more bored. I just wanted to make a small dice game and it kind of snowballed...
  • KttyKtty
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,415
    Srang
    Srang said:

... and it kind of snowballed...
    Turned into a avalanche.
  • SrangSrang
    But it's an avalance of fun....ish....wait for equipment price list....that one is going to be fun.....
  • NasumiRayneNasumiRayne
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,265
    edited January 3, 2017
    [quote=Srang]
    Srang
    Srang said:

....wait for equipment price list....that one is going to be fun.....
    [/quote]
    Could always reduce the equipment list to generic catagories to simplify it. Heavy armour, light armour, then clothes for the baseline points. Add on points for every X-amount of defense/protection and/or points for each 5% of each auto defense rounded up to the nearest 5%. Apply the same to shields but divide into small shield., medium shield, or large shield.

Then for weapons simply use 1/2hander (2hander category for bows) as the baseline then add on points based on max damage divided by an amount for the points added on.
    Srang
  • SrangSrang
    See, fun
  • asnscorpioasnscorpio
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,500
    Just like those book games....and dungeon and dragons. Don't know anyone who plays those dice roll games with story boards like that anymore.
  • SrangSrang
    I figure Mabi DnD would be just a bit too complicated right now
  • SplatulatedSplatulated
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,930
    hows this meant be played through the forums?
  • SrangSrang
    edited January 3, 2017
    ingame, with the dies found in general shop. Sounds boring but it's quite fun
  • SplatulatedSplatulated
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,930
    Srang
    Srang said:

ingame, with the dies found in general shop. Sounds boring but it's quite fun
    how long before can take it to table top and or forums
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    what if someone is stronger than we knew, its not like mabinogi pvp numbers are like DND. There is more math involved in it.
  • SrangSrang
    for it to be played on forums you would need a rng to calculate damage done by not only doing the skill, but also your current min-max and your opponents defense and prot. Tabletop kind of suffers a bit there, I'm afraid. there you would need static damage, or you would have to make 6 values based on weapon used for the max damage you can do, while removing the amount blocked by all defense. as such the tabletop may be more fair, due to a severe lack of crits, unless you do that too on the 6 value. So for how long? The amount it takes you to find someone who wants to play with you
  • SrangSrang
    @watercat0
    all guesses on points are based upon the assumption they are r1 and the user specializes in them. But you do have a point about people who might be stronger and as such you can add in handicap rules. Can be from simply the really stronger is not allowed to wear armor while the weaker starts with it. Can't save so high, when saving dice points. There will in the end never quite be a way to eliminate status differences but we can try to make them as easy to figure out as possible. So yeah, there are many ways to do it, you find one that works well, please do say it. I really do want people to enjoy it....and try to break it. Please try to break it within it's rules, then tell me how. Best way to fix it. Also if someone could please give ideas on Lancers I'd be happy. And Guns. And Ships. And so the balance shifts.
  • SrangSrang
    edited January 4, 2017
    as the original rules grew too large to contain both them and the price lists some of the price lists have been moved here....and soon more might follow...
    Price list battle Alchemy

-1p....what did you think you could get for this? Seriously, I never ventured deep into alchemy so I'm making kind of superficial guesses here.
    - wind blast (Why? Why would you ever do this? It's like throwing a rock....by the way, throwing a rock is also 1p.)
    2p
    - 1 charge of water cannon
    - 1 charge of flameburst
    4p
    - 2 charge of water cannon
    - 2 charge of flameburst

6p
    - Hydra
    - 3 charge of water cannon
    - 3 charge of flameburst

8p
    - 5 charge of water cannon
    - 5 charge of flameburst

10p
    - Shock

12p
    - Elemental wave and one skill of your choosing that is not banned, fully charged.

If you choose golems then either wait until I figure out how they work (probably by having someone else trick me into taking a lot of damage) or someone else figures this out. After all these are just suggestions.

Price List Puppetry
    - act 1 1p
    - act 2 6p
    - act 4 2p
    - act 6 1p
    - act 7 12p

Price list Dual Guns

Flash launcher
    - 6p
    Bullet Slide
    Bullet storm
    Grapple shot
    Way of the gun
    - 3p allowed to attack once
    Shooting rush
    - 3p
    Reload
    - 1p

Price List Ninja
    Explosive kunai
    Kunai storm
    - 3p
    Shadow Bind (WHY!?)
    - 1p
    Shadow cloak
    - 1p
    Shuriken Charge
    - 3p uncharged, 6p charged
    Sakura Abyss
    - 12p 10 charges not allowed lower
    Smoke screen
    - 2p

Summons (I have no idea how this works so you know what, everyone will suffer for it! Or just not make them allowed)
    - summon pet, no healing pets or poisoning pets allowed. 4p, costs 2p to maintain and can only live for 3 rounds. Their skillcost is halvet
    - scroll summons? 6p? I don't know how the summon scrolls in practice works so....
    - Monster control? know what, I place it at 1, go play this game at scathach beach. If this actually works I want a video (bythewayfeelfreetocursewatercat0everytimeascathachbeachmonsterattacksyou).
    Transformations (The transformation mastery ones)
    - 1. All of them.
  • FrahaleahFrahaleah
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,680
    Actually, I'm all for this, dice are rarely used as is already.
  • watercat0watercat0
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,855
    oh speaking of golems, you never said anything about pets, summon scroll creatures, monster control, parrent, etc.
  • SrangSrang
    @watercat0
    yes, about that...
    My personal answer is :
    But hey, why not? Feels like there's a million things I haven't done, but just you wait, just you wait.