Check out the patch notes for the August 13th update, P.E.T. Part 2: http://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/23540
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Permadeath Server

Comments

  • FaybalFaybal
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,570
    Posts: 93
    Member
    But guys like Platina and you think "I wouldn't play it so no one would." I don't know any devs that ask players for permission before rolling out an update. They update, test the waters, and revert if they need to. If a Permadeath server was advertised and came out, and no one played on it and it was removed, then fine that would be A-Okay. But some of you think if Devcat or Nexon make this, they'd need to stop all other things they're making and focus only on this which would be ridiculous to believe.
    Well first of all, They have a KR test server... Those people there who self-elect to participate give feedback there. We don't have that. Quite frankly, as someone already posted, you're going after the wrong people. Go talk to Nexon KR. They would be able to implement this type of stuff. The NA Suggestions is more for Bug fixes, in-text changes
    There are too many variables to take into account like lag spikes. That could wreck a character back to level 1 based on your parameters.

    Also skills that have gather quests behind them like ice spear would not work with your server idea as people would have to re-acquire those pages. Same with Shock.

    Also if you want life skillers that can craft higher rank weapons and such, I think it would be best to alter those parameters. If everyone is going to be dying, no one is going to put the effort into crafting if they're going to lose it that easily.

    ... People experience lag that causes death, FACT.
    This Platina guy was great. He mentions programming for the 2nd time while also saying nothing about it
    Programming is something that can be quite hard, as NEXON america can barely translate the content correctly, let alone adjust paramaters, FACT.
    Boss raids/Squires have yet to be addressed, although they heavily alter gameplay yet can generate lag, FACT
    Costs of running/maintaining a server can run thousands of dollars/day, FACT

    I haven't been on the forums often, actually. I come on to literally ask about G22, see your post, and posted because I thought it was a little unreasonable and unrefined as is. I hardly know others on here, but I'm only supporting them because they aren't hellbent on defending their position by deflecting everything.
    I also love how you once again cherry picked the things you wanted to respond to rather than address the REAL issues. You took it all as a personal attack, while it was really just questions/comments by players trying to inquire about your scheme. No one was coming after you until you decided to take it like we were bashing your idea. Had you taken that chance to improve or even perhaps further explain in detail what your idea was, we'd all be in agreement. Until then, I call it as I see it, and I am calling it a hot mess express.

    Article II.A
    Your defense for Lag: It doesn't happen for me, people know the risks
    How does that solve the issue in any way? So people who have latency, such as European players, cannot play? Nope, try again.
    Your defense for Nexon's Monetization: Oh, they'll figure it out
    No, honey, you can't just sweep it all under the rug. You suggested it, if you want us to support it, we need reasons to. Deflecting it to Nexon when you were the one with the idea in the first place ain't it.
    Your response to Raids: None
    Your response to Squires: None
    Your response to Content: Well don't attempt it on the Permadeath server first, do it on the main servers (You corrected me on this, so I'll have it your way)
    Well, this game is heavily based on completion of content and generations; as a matter of fact, some skills force you to have completed certain generations in order to advance/learn (Shock, Life Drain, Heat Buster, First Aid Rank 2->1, Crusader Skills, just to name a few.) Generations not being able to be completed would heavily hinder character progress.

    It might be hard for you to see it, but You've been deflecting it constantly, bringing up your "3 points". There are way more than just 3 points to a game. You can either directly address the issue, or be called out for it.
    Saying "I addressed it already" is not valid; obviously, we are asking for more substance because your explanation was either lacking or not through. Besides from that, you keep deflecting. It's undeniable that lag can be experienced. Just because you personally don't experience it doesn't mean it doesn't happen to others. If this restricts others from playing, reducing the appeal/market size to Nexon, it wouldn't be ideal for them.
    Secondly, yes, we experience lag on the main servers. However, we usually don't quit upon death because our whole character doesn't get deleted due to lag; we can revive and pick up where we left off.

    But anyways, GL with this whole concept, I'm just gonna sit back at this point because it's like trying to reason with a grape.
    WolfsingerkiyueTwelie
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,835
    Posts: 790
    Member
    SEVEN pages and TWO spinoff threads full of activity in 2 days! If I had to guess I'd say this idea is really popular. Guys... it looks like we're getting a permadeath server.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 15,060
    Posts: 3,287
    Member
    Sure why not? As long as it doesn't effect the main install of Mabinogi. If Nexon wants to launch what is essentially a different game in parallel with Mabinogi well that's their money to spend.
  • ChoCho
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,575
    Posts: 163
    Member
    Faybal wrote: »
    But guys like Platina and you think "I wouldn't play it so no one would." I don't know any devs that ask players for permission before rolling out an update. They update, test the waters, and revert if they need to. If a Permadeath server was advertised and came out, and no one played on it and it was removed, then fine that would be A-Okay. But some of you think if Devcat or Nexon make this, they'd need to stop all other things they're making and focus only on this which would be ridiculous to believe.
    Well first of all, They have a KR test server... Those people there who self-elect to participate give feedback there. We don't have that. Quite frankly, as someone already posted, you're going after the wrong people. Go talk to Nexon KR. They would be able to implement this type of stuff. The NA Suggestions is more for Bug fixes, in-text changes
    There are too many variables to take into account like lag spikes. That could wreck a character back to level 1 based on your parameters.

    Also skills that have gather quests behind them like ice spear would not work with your server idea as people would have to re-acquire those pages. Same with Shock.

    Also if you want life skillers that can craft higher rank weapons and such, I think it would be best to alter those parameters. If everyone is going to be dying, no one is going to put the effort into crafting if they're going to lose it that easily.

    ... People experience lag that causes death, FACT.
    This Platina guy was great. He mentions programming for the 2nd time while also saying nothing about it
    Programming is something that can be quite hard, as NEXON america can barely translate the content correctly, let alone adjust paramaters, FACT.
    Boss raids/Squires have yet to be addressed, although they heavily alter gameplay yet can generate lag, FACT
    Costs of running/maintaining a server can run thousands of dollars/day, FACT

    I haven't been on the forums often, actually. I come on to literally ask about G22, see your post, and posted because I thought it was a little unreasonable and unrefined as is. I hardly know others on here, but I'm only supporting them because they aren't hellbent on defending their position by deflecting everything.
    I also love how you once again cherry picked the things you wanted to respond to rather than address the REAL issues. You took it all as a personal attack, while it was really just questions/comments by players trying to inquire about your scheme. No one was coming after you until you decided to take it like we were bashing your idea. Had you taken that chance to improve or even perhaps further explain in detail what your idea was, we'd all be in agreement. Until then, I call it as I see it, and I am calling it a hot mess express.

    Article II.A
    Your defense for Lag: It doesn't happen for me, people know the risks
    How does that solve the issue in any way? So people who have latency, such as European players, cannot play? Nope, try again.
    Your defense for Nexon's Monetization: Oh, they'll figure it out
    No, honey, you can't just sweep it all under the rug. You suggested it, if you want us to support it, we need reasons to. Deflecting it to Nexon when you were the one with the idea in the first place ain't it.
    Your response to Raids: None
    Your response to Squires: None
    Your response to Content: Well don't attempt it on the Permadeath server first, do it on the main servers (You corrected me on this, so I'll have it your way)
    Well, this game is heavily based on completion of content and generations; as a matter of fact, some skills force you to have completed certain generations in order to advance/learn (Shock, Life Drain, Heat Buster, First Aid Rank 2->1, Crusader Skills, just to name a few.) Generations not being able to be completed would heavily hinder character progress.

    It might be hard for you to see it, but You've been deflecting it constantly, bringing up your "3 points". There are way more than just 3 points to a game. You can either directly address the issue, or be called out for it.
    Saying "I addressed it already" is not valid; obviously, we are asking for more substance because your explanation was either lacking or not through. Besides from that, you keep deflecting. It's undeniable that lag can be experienced. Just because you personally don't experience it doesn't mean it doesn't happen to others. If this restricts others from playing, reducing the appeal/market size to Nexon, it wouldn't be ideal for them.
    Secondly, yes, we experience lag on the main servers. However, we usually don't quit upon death because our whole character doesn't get deleted due to lag; we can revive and pick up where we left off.

    But anyways, GL with this whole concept, I'm just gonna sit back at this point because it's like trying to reason with a grape.

    Well first of all, They have a KR test server...

    You want me as an NA player to not suggest things on the NA suggestion forum and instead, learn Korean, and send my suggestions to the Korean side of Nexon. What is wrong with you?
    ... People experience lag that causes death, FACT.

    Good fact. That has nothing to do with the idea of this server. "People experience lag therefore this won't work" is your reasoning. If I die because of lag, should Nexon give me Holy waters because I lost blessing? Give me my lost EXP back? You do everything you can on your side to get rid of lag, then come talk to me.
    Programming is something that can be quite hard, as NEXON america can barely translate the content correctly, let alone adjust paramaters, FACT.
    Boss raids/Squires have yet to be addressed, although they heavily alter gameplay yet can generate lag, FACT
    Costs of running/maintaining a server can run thousands of dollars/day, FACT


    You say Nexon America can barely translate the game. That is your OPINION.
    Boss Raids/Squire may cause you to lag MIGHT be the only thing that is a FACT here.
    Tell me how much does Nexon pay to maintain their servers? I read that servers can cost 10~50 dollars a month to maintain. You're saying thousands. I have no reason to believe you over anyone else.
    I also love how you once again cherry picked the things you wanted to respond to rather than address the REAL issues. You took it all as a personal attack, while it was really just questions/comments by players trying to inquire about your scheme. No one was coming after you until you decided to take it like we were bashing your idea.

    Real issues. I'm not cherry picking anything. There are no real issues that I haven't already addressed. Again you spent time typing this up but you just go and state a bunch of opinions as facts again.
    Had you taken that chance to improve or even perhaps further explain in detail what your idea was...

    I explained enough. You're just insufferable. There are posts on this forum like "I want a pony pet, nexonsz pls add a pony pet pls" and that's it and no one harasses them as much as this thread has been.
    Your defense for Lag: It doesn't happen for me, people know the risks
    How does that solve the issue in any way? So people who have latency, such as European players, cannot play? Nope, try again.

    Because you're incredibly lazy because you can't even quote my responses,
    they were:
    This addresses if YOU lag
    If you're on the Permadeath server you would know the rules. You die, and use the items in your bank to start over. This "I worked so hard on my character and now I died" situation would mostly be your fault. Don't play on the Permadeath server when your ISP is giving you lag spikes. Don't play on the Permadeath server on wifi unless you're that gutsy.

    If you have laggy internet, don't play permadeath. How hard is that?

    This addresses when it's RANDOM lag (i.e. Everythings fine then sudden lag spike)
    In PoE if you lag and die, you still lose the character. It happens. Your friends can help you start over. If you don't have any, your bank can help you start over. It would work the same way. If you're thinking "What if I'm level 30000 with R1 everything and I died" My response would be, "Wow dude congrats, you lived for 30000 and didn't die. Sucks that you died. Better luck next time."

    No rollbacks. If you're experiencing lag on the permadeath server then hmmmm... I don't know... log out??? Things happen. Life happens. etc. You can't cry if you choose to stick around while the server is doing backflips and then be mad at Nexon if you die. And I would expect you as a reasonable person on the forums to be one of the people quelling the outrage. Doing your part as a community member and not just letting Nexon take heat because some guy decided to stay on the laggy death server.

    If the server is lagging, don't play permadeath?? When Mabi is lagging on the regular servers, I'll log out to not lose anything in case of a rollback and I haven't needed to do that in forever. What do I do if people want to always be logged in but never lag ever? There's no answer to this. People who play PoE go through the same things but if you're not willing to even look into it as a game to understand the comparison then I can't help you.
    You still don't understand the problem with lag, and if you really think what's left of this playerbase could be patient in the scenarios you have provided, then you clearly have not played long at all.

    After Platina refused to work with me on my PoE comparison and cried about how "I just don't understand and tried to flex how long he's been playing" I responded with

    Lag isn't as bad as it used to be coming from someone not in Cali where it's lagless.

    When someone links a god dang video FROM 2012 whining about lag spikes I respond

    You mention the lag video. If that still happens, that's terrible, I'm sorry for those affected but it doesn't happen to me often if not at all in the east coast far away from the servers on average internet speeds and I want to believe I'm not the only one.

    What else can I say when people are using an excuse about lag to shut down everything. People playing Path of Exile deal with this in way worse capacities due to monsters ACTUALLY being able to one shot and the game being more difficult yet only these select forum users are complaining.
    Your defense for Nexon's Monetization: Oh, they'll figure it out
    No, honey, you can't just sweep it all under the rug. You suggested it, if you want us to support it, we need reasons to. Deflecting it to Nexon when you were the one with the idea in the first place ain't it.
    I don't want you to support it. I've been making this clear. Your opinion about my suggestion doesn't matter to me yet you're free to critique with meaningful criticisms. I'm not even deflecting to Nexon. I'm suggesting an idea and leaving the marketing to the people who are paid to do that. It's not my job. I've even said, pets are allowed, I never said the cash shop was cancelled, or the homestead, but for some reason your big brain thought that M O N E T I Z A T I O N was a problem. Someone says I don't think people will buy gachas. I say I think they will. We're both not wrong because we have no proof one way or the other until it has actually happened but apparently I"m not addressing the real issues.
    Your response to Raids: None
    Your response to Squires: None
    Your response to Content: Well don't attempt it on the Permadeath server first, do it on the main servers (You corrected me on this, so I'll have it your way)

    ??? Was this mentioned in your rude rant post that I ignored?? I seriously didn't read nor will I. I know nothing of G21~G22 content but if you're talking about things like Girgashiy raids then yes, you don't do them until you're strong enough. I've said this before. Squires are the mobile game thing where you send them on missions? What does this have to do with permadeath? And yes I addressed Content.
    Well, this game is heavily based on completion of content and generations; as a matter of fact, some skills force you to have completed certain generations in order to advance/learn (Shock, Life Drain, Heat Buster, First Aid Rank 2->1, Crusader Skills, just to name a few.) Generations not being able to be completed would heavily hinder character progress.

    This was already addressed. For generation skills, I never said you needed to complete them in order. That was someone else. Duncan would still let you skip. If they had to be in order I would've said that in the OP. Characters not having powerful skills that come from dangerous content shouldn't be seen as hindering progress. That's normal server mentality. On a permadeath server, having those skills are a bonus. Cup half full vs half empty.
    It might be hard for you to see it, but You've been deflecting it constantly, bringing up your "3 points". There are way more than just 3 points to a game. You can either directly address the issue, or be called out for it.
    Saying "I addressed it already" is not valid; obviously, we are asking for more substance because your explanation was either lacking or not through.

    I read through everyone's posts and put a lot of thought into what I'm typing and explain things clearly. It's very hard to phrase responses to the same 3 points over and over and over and over to lazy people who don't take the time to read the OP or read through the posts and just want to put stupid gifs on the messages and talk like they're smart. Every single time it's

    What if I lag?

    I answered this many different ways. Fix your net. Logoff if you lag. Nothing can be done in some cases. This isn't a legitimate issue because lag exists everywhere yet is nonexistant 99% of time.

    What about monetization?

    Pets, gachas, the usual. You seem to want me to present Nexon a full business plan or something. I shouldn't have to go through this trouble for a simple suggestion.

    I wouldn't play it.

    Okay. This is just an opinion. If Nexon asked people whenever they were going to make major changes to the game, people would say no because people hate change. This is also an opinion.
    It's undeniable that lag can be experienced. Just because you personally don't experience it doesn't mean it doesn't happen to others. If this restricts others from playing, reducing the appeal/market size to Nexon, it wouldn't be ideal for them.

    You have no idea what you're talking about. We should close all online games with this logic. It's funny you and some others pretend to want monetization and pretend to care about Nexon's appeal but trash it all the time and you think that all of this negative word of mouth doesn't hurt Nexon more. I've talked to people who hate Nexon but don't even know why because of people bashing it all the time.
    Secondly, yes, we experience lag on the main servers. However, we usually don't quit upon death because our whole character doesn't get deleted due to lag; we can revive and pick up where we left off.

    That's the beauty of options. If you don't like you don't play on it. Go play an MMO with permadeath and get back to me because you keep bringing up hypothetical nonexistent lag. You honestly have no idea what you're talking about.
    it's like trying to reason with a grape.

    I feel like this everytime I see one of your messages. But I don't give up because I have hope that maybe just maybe you'll turn into a decent human being. I'll admit I'm losing patience with you.
  • UnpayedUnpayed
    Mabinogi Rep: 775
    Posts: 16
    Member
    edited January 15, 2019
    leymwyW.png
    (Ignores the text walls)

    Permadeath? No. Just no. There's too many points in Mabi that can screw players over. Python Knight's Shadow Death is one example.

    EDIT: (Not Bumping this thing)

    1. Shadow Death, as stated earlier.
    2. Girg Harder raids (Miss the timing)
    3. Field Boss Raids in general.
    4. Balor - Considering my experience with him, (three deaths/Naos) and other players...
    5. Adniel's Horn - This SUCH A GOOD WAY TO GRIEF
    6. Speaking of griefing, Kiting any monster to an afk person.
    7. Anything that contains Lag- Hell, Im using a 1060 6B Display, a 3.60 GHz Processor, 300MB DL Internet... Basically some top end computer with the third fastest option on my internet provider, and yes, I still get lag from time to time. All I know now is it's not me. It's Nexon's side.
    FaybalWolfsinger
  • ChoCho
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,575
    Posts: 163
    Member
    edited January 14, 2019
    Unpayed wrote: »
    leymwyW.png
    (Ignores the text walls)

    Permadeath? No. Just no. There's too many points in Mabi that can screw players over. Python Knight's Shadow Death is one example.

    Name some more examples.

    Unless it's a scripted death, then what's wrong with it?
  • LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 14,670
    Posts: 2,289
    Member
    The reason people keep saying to send it to the Korean branch is because that branch is one that does all the game programming and creation. NA does nothing for that. If there needs a coding fix done or a unique event request for the NA branch they have to send Korea a request to get it done.
    Faybal
  • FaybalFaybal
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,570
    Posts: 93
    Member
    Leinei wrote: »
    The reason people keep saying to send it to the Korean branch is because that branch is one that does all the game programming and creation. NA does nothing for that. If there needs a coding fix done or a unique event request for the NA branch they have to send Korea a request to get it done.

    I mean the discussion can continue all it wants but nothing can really be done because Nexon KR handles this stuff, but the OP can go off IG.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 15,060
    Posts: 3,287
    Member
    Faybal wrote: »
    Leinei wrote: »
    The reason people keep saying to send it to the Korean branch is because that branch is one that does all the game programming and creation. NA does nothing for that. If there needs a coding fix done or a unique event request for the NA branch they have to send Korea a request to get it done.

    I mean the discussion can continue all it wants but nothing can really be done because Nexon KR handles this stuff, but the OP can go off IG.

    It's pretty obvious by now the guy is employing argument by stamina. He will respond to every criticism whether he answers the concerned or not. The idea is that by responding you have answered all criticisms. By answering all criticisms you have disproven them. By disproving them you have proven your proposition. By proving your proposition you have "won" . . . at least until someone else responds. He needs to have the last word and is determined to have it whether he's actually proven his point or not. Unless, you're into this kind of contest (yes contest, it stopped being a process to mutually discover the truth long ago) just let him have the last word and then we can go back to ignoring him.
    FaybalWolfsingerTwelie
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,835
    Posts: 790
    Member
    Now that the harassment crew is gone, let's get back to discussing the idea.

    Should the permadeath server be available even to new players that just downloaded mabi? I would want new players to experience the regular servers first before trying a permadeath server. A new player can automatically unlock the permadeath server by dying 100 times in the regular servers OR by manually activating it through the account options menu (with plenty of warning messages).

    But this assumes that a permadeath server is less desirable than the regular server. What if people download mabi JUST to play on the permadeath server? That would be amazing, since it would mean the permadeath server is attracting a new type of customer and expanding the mabi playerbase.
  • FaybalFaybal
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,570
    Posts: 93
    Member
    Helsa wrote: »
    Faybal wrote: »
    Leinei wrote: »
    The reason people keep saying to send it to the Korean branch is because that branch is one that does all the game programming and creation. NA does nothing for that. If there needs a coding fix done or a unique event request for the NA branch they have to send Korea a request to get it done.

    I mean the discussion can continue all it wants but nothing can really be done because Nexon KR handles this stuff, but the OP can go off IG.

    It's pretty obvious by now the guy is employing argument by stamina. He will respond to every criticism whether he answers the concerned or not. The idea is that by responding you have answered all criticisms. By answering all criticisms you have disproven them. By disproving them you have proven your proposition. By proving your proposition you have "won" . . . at least until someone else responds. He needs to have the last word and is determined to have it whether he's actually proven his point or not. Unless, you're into this kind of contest (yes contest, it stopped being a process to mutually discover the truth long ago) just let him have the last word and then we can go back to ignoring him.

    You're absolutely right.
    :)
    At this point, further discussing it would only bring attention to it and "Bump" the thread up. Time to let it die I guess, it's had a nice 7 pages of discussion.
    ZeoLeineiWolfsingerTwelie
  • ZeoZeo
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,030
    Posts: 521
    Member
    While the idea itself would be interesting and may work for some games, it wouldn't work at all for Mabinogi due to MANY different reasons that people have provided in here so I will have to say no, sorry!
    Faybal
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 32,845
    Posts: 7,533
    Member
    Cho wrote: »
    Eralea wrote: »


    MMMMMmmmmm I love the idea of permanently losing a character due to circumstances I can't control, yep.

    That's a really cool video from 2012. Yes the servers were like that but I think they've gotten a little better since then. I haven't experienced it in years but I don't if anyone else has. And that's such a rare occasion. It would be the biggest shame if that happened to someone. But it's definitely not common that people are surrounded by powerful enemies right during a lag spike.

    I still get lag spikes with crappy internet and everyone decides to use every single internet connected device in the house.
    My room having the worst signal strength usually is the first victim.
    FaybalZeo
  • ChoCho
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,575
    Posts: 163
    Member
    edited January 14, 2019
    Leinei wrote: »
    The reason people keep saying to send it to the Korean branch is because that branch is one that does all the game programming and creation. NA does nothing for that. If there needs a coding fix done or a unique event request for the NA branch they have to send Korea a request to get it done.

    I get it. It's a little unreasonable that I'm told to send a suggestion to the KR branch when everyone else can just suggest their ideas on this forum though. If I absolutely wanted this realized, I would.
    Helsa wrote: »
    Faybal wrote: »
    Leinei wrote: »
    The reason people keep saying to send it to the Korean branch is because that branch is one that does all the game programming and creation. NA does nothing for that. If there needs a coding fix done or a unique event request for the NA branch they have to send Korea a request to get it done.

    I mean the discussion can continue all it wants but nothing can really be done because Nexon KR handles this stuff, but the OP can go off IG.

    It's pretty obvious by now the guy is employing argument by stamina. He will respond to every criticism whether he answers the concerned or not. The idea is that by responding you have answered all criticisms. By answering all criticisms you have disproven them. By disproving them you have proven your proposition. By proving your proposition you have "won" . . . at least until someone else responds. He needs to have the last word and is determined to have it whether he's actually proven his point or not. Unless, you're into this kind of contest (yes contest, it stopped being a process to mutually discover the truth long ago) just let him have the last word and then we can go back to ignoring him.

    No. I just don't let people who I think are wrong just walk all over me because they post in numbers. If I'm disproving people and they think that my counterpoint is wrong, they should just read what I wrote and give a better point that makes me change my mind. Not just say "You don't get it" and start being rude like Faybal and Platina did. There's something wrong with you if you think me responding to posts on a thread I made is wrong somehow. Am I supposed let people echo things I disagree with, while saying nothing, until the thread is locked?
    While the idea itself would be interesting and may work for some games, it wouldn't work at all for Mabinogi due to MANY different reasons that people have provided in here so I will have to say no, sorry!

    This is what I mean. Someone leaves a post that says something cryptic like "MANY reasons". Doesn't go into detail. Then on their second post, just talks about lag and all that same stuff already talked about. But I understand if it doesn't look appealing to someone thinking of their main characters they spent years on. I'm fine if they wouldn't like it but I'm not fine with pretending to justify it with reasoning that doesn't line-up.
    Now that the harassment crew is gone, let's get back to discussing the idea.

    Should the permadeath server be available even to new players that just downloaded mabi? I would want new players to experience the regular servers first before trying a permadeath server. A new player can automatically unlock the permadeath server by dying 100 times in the regular servers OR by manually activating it through the account options menu (with plenty of warning messages).

    But this assumes that a permadeath server is less desirable than the regular server. What if people download mabi JUST to play on the permadeath server? That would be amazing, since it would mean the permadeath server is attracting a new type of customer and expanding the mabi playerbase.

    I was thinking it'd be available right away. You know how Mabi used to recommend players play as a Human because it was easiest? Maybe a warning can pop-up asking if they're sure. Or maybe their first character (character cards they give you) can't be made on that server. When you say account options, you mean on the Nexon website?

    I think it would be cool to attract new players but I'm not sure it would. It would need some advertising and I don't think a sponsored Youtuber or Twitch streamer would be able to promote something like this.

    I just thought now. What if, the permadeath character is treated like a Hero talent and can give AP to another character. It would give an incentive to play while rewarding progress?
    I still get lag spikes with crappy internet and everyone decides to use every single internet connected device in the house.
    My room having the worst signal strength usually is the first victim.

    I wouldn't play on that kind of server if I were you. Not every Idea can appeal to people with poor internet conditions. Even regular Mabi is way harder to play with poor internet because of having to time your skills rather than some point and click, skill mashing MMO.
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,835
    Posts: 790
    Member
    Cho wrote: »
    When you say account options, you mean on the Nexon website?
    I don't have mabi open right now, but I thought there were game options somewhere in the character select carousel. That's where I thought to place the manual unlock option. Placing the manual unlock on the nexon website would be very roundabout, making it like a secret playmode :D.

    Cho wrote: »
    I just thought now. What if, the permadeath character is treated like a Hero talent and can give AP to another character. It would give an incentive to play while rewarding progress?
    Now THIS, this is good idea. If your successes on the permadeath server had benefits for your main account, I think everyone would sign up immediately. I have to think about why Nexon would want us to play on the permadeath server and what incentives would be appropriate.
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,505
    Posts: 907
    Member
    edited January 19, 2019
    Cho wrote: »
    Cho wrote: »
    You still miss the bare minimum; programming.

    This Platina guy was great. He mentions programming for the 2nd time while also saying nothing about it
    I know nothing of "Path of Exile", and i'm not going to pretend like I do. I know that trying to compare the two is like comparing apples to oranges, though.

    "I don't know anything about this game you mentioned but lemme tell you how different it is"
    You still don't understand the problem with lag, and if you really think what's left of this playerbase could be patient in the scenarios you have provided, then you clearly have not played long at all.

    this is from a player who is playing a game that has survived when channels died, monster mob lag, intense rubberbanding and displacement, and rollbacks where they've lost their equipment. Players toughed it through those times and now there's much less problems today. If people were going to quit, they'd have already. And he also talks as if Nexon would make it mandatory to play on such a server.

    I'm sure you and your forum buddies = an accurate consensus. If you really wanted that, you could Bugel Horn all the channels in every server, multiple times per day, and ask them to post in this thread or even vote on the poll. Then you'd have to make sure that the number of votes is a large enough sample size of the community. And even then you'd have to take into account people posting on alternate forum accounts like those 1-post new accounts posting in server merge threads. Instead you just side with obvious harrassment because you've got some vendetta against me or the permadeath idea and I don't even know you.

    I've been playing this game since G3.
    As for me "not explaining programming", I did, if you could do more than just cropping my posts the way you have.

    When we post legitimate issues involving things like lag, you don't give any sufficient proof to back your own claims. You claim lag isn't a problem for you. Okay. That doesn't mean its not a problem for other people. If something suddenly happens to the servers (like a lag spike, which is 100% possible), and it causes characters to end up dead, its somehow the players' fault?

    When you're presented with points like that, you just say "Oh, it's not an issue for me, so it isn't a legitimate issue". It IS a legitimate issue; just because it doesn't happen to you, doesn't mean it won't happen to others.
    Now that the harassment crew is gone, let's get back to discussing the idea.

    Should the permadeath server be available even to new players that just downloaded mabi? I would want new players to experience the regular servers first before trying a permadeath server. A new player can automatically unlock the permadeath server by dying 100 times in the regular servers OR by manually activating it through the account options menu (with plenty of warning messages).

    But this assumes that a permadeath server is less desirable than the regular server. What if people download mabi JUST to play on the permadeath server? That would be amazing, since it would mean the permadeath server is attracting a new type of customer and expanding the mabi playerbase.

    So, to you, people with differing opinions = harassment?
    K, just checking.
    ZeoSebastianLeineiGretaWolfsinger
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,835
    Posts: 790
    Member
    ^ well, when they call the OP names, when someone make a wholly separate thread just to add a poll about this thread against the OP's wishes, and then when someone else mass necros a lot of really old threads to try to bury this thread, then I think that counts as harassment. Let's be real here. We all know what went down here. I don't care. I think we can move on and just brainstorm happily without trying to kill the thread, because honestly this is just another random idea. Let's have fun.
    Greta
  • ZeoZeo
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,030
    Posts: 521
    Member
    ^ well, when they call the OP names, when someone make a wholly separate thread just to add a poll about this thread against the OP's wishes, and then when someone else mass necros a lot of really old threads to try to bury this thread, then I think that counts as harassment. Let's be real here. We all know what went down here. I don't care. I think we can move on and just brainstorm happily without trying to kill the thread, because honestly this is just another random idea. Let's have fun.

    That’s quite golden coming from you considering you’re also one who stated that all suggestion threads should have a poll to help Nexon get the idea on what the Mabinogi players want and don’t want. Also, you do have quite a history of ‘attacking’ and being disrespectful to others because you didn’t like their ideas. /thonk
    GretaSebastianPlatinaKoki
  • UnpayedUnpayed
    Mabinogi Rep: 775
    Posts: 16
    Member
    edited January 22, 2019
    This is from my edit, if anyone else missed it. Since this topic was bumped, Ill bump it ironically.
    EDIT: I still want this topic to die, so Ill edit this post. Until someone bumps it, Ill bump it ironically.
    1. Shadow Death, as stated earlier.
    2. Girg Harder raids (Miss the timing)
    3. Field Boss Raids in general.
    4. Balor - Considering my experience with him, (three deaths/Naos) and other players...
    5. Adniel's Horn - This SUCH A GOOD WAY TO GRIEF
    6. Speaking of griefing, Kiting any monster to an afk person.
    7. Anything that contains Lag- Hell, Im using a 1060 6B Display, a 3.60 GHz Processor, 300MB DL Internet... Basically some top end computer with the third fastest option on my internet provider, and yes, I still get lag from time to time. All I know now is it's not me. It's Nexon's side.
    Yes, Its a good way to grief. You want me to add more?

    8. Ice Mines. Again Grief.
    9. Baol Infiltration in improperly equipped/tactics groups/user.
    10. Monster Summoning Urns. Griefing or Not, a player can summon one IN FRONT of Quila and kite them inside. Gods help them if it's a Red Dragon (It's lightning), A Desert Dragon (Discount "Elder Dragon Fled" Mechanic), Sandworm (Almost instantaneous high damage), Giant Lion (Persian used Roar!), or an Ifrit (Hello Aggro Hell)
    11. "The Tank Title" Right. Don't we need that for a technique?
    12. Aggro Hell in general.

    EDITS:
    8. (EDIT) This means if someone places an ice mine and a monster sets it off, killing the NPCs, and possibly another player... in the Shadow Realm, that is.
    10. (EDIT) - Soo.... in a scenario where we are not aware and continent warp to just be mauled by a Giant Persian (Lion) or get a Dragon fireball to the face?


    From my experience in Permadeath games...

    1. The internet cannot have nice things due to trolls. It's the way how the internet works. Play with friends? Sometimes friends are not available at the moment and there's a part if the friend in question can be a R.C.* Whole in secret. Play with real life friends? I don't know. Huge R.C. Moves may cause... well, real life problems. Woe to anyone who trolls the wrong person...
    2. Some Permadeath games have a safety net if you "die". Some of them maybe "There is nothing to achieve in permadeath mode. You proved your nerdiest, Go (Bleep) yourself". Some of them allows you to be revived by a teammate. Some of them even allows you to use a Support ticket/forums to say "You were killed by a griefer".
    3. Examples of my experiences with Permadeath/No-save games
    Ghost Recon Wildlands - As long as one teammate is alive in Online mode, you can be revived... Assuming you don't bleed out, that is. In Offline mode, as long you didnt die in a short time... and assuming that none of the AI bots are downed too.
    Minecraft - The world can be "backed up" in Hardcore mode. Unfairly killed in Multiplayer? File a report at the server's forums. A minecraft server requires regular players to play. Those "advanced" ones are usually competitions and not regular play, which beats the reason for playing minecraft in the first place.
    Terraria - Same as minecraft(?). Well, in the console versions via cloud.
    Left4Dead2 - There is nothing to achieve in Ironman(?) mode. Plus, several maps can be "Unfair" at times. Why are you playing Expert mode? Like before, "You proved your nerdiest, Go (Bleep) youself." ~AVGN
    Resident Evil 2 - You're only doing this to unlock the Gattling Gun, right? RIGHT? Well you should. Because only the pros can do this.
    Resident Evil 1 Remake - You want that "Ink is for Squids" Achievement right? Good luck on that Nitro Fuel part of the game! Or that Lisa fight in general... Do not combine it with a run of "CQB FTW" Achiement (Knife only, aside from Final Rocket) ARE YOU MAD? (yes, I've done it... with cheats)

    * Say the letter R and C. Get what I'm saying?*

    Yes, there's a reason why I said "Not sure if TC is a Troll or stupid." Perhaps Both. I keep on forgetting this isn't Gamefaqs and have this topic be locked by a moderator already.
    Greta
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,835
    Posts: 790
    Member
    Zeo wrote: »
    ^ well, when they call the OP names, when someone make a wholly separate thread just to add a poll about this thread against the OP's wishes, and then when someone else mass necros a lot of really old threads to try to bury this thread, then I think that counts as harassment. Let's be real here. We all know what went down here. I don't care. I think we can move on and just brainstorm happily without trying to kill the thread, because honestly this is just another random idea. Let's have fun.

    That’s quite golden coming from you considering you’re also one who stated that all suggestion threads should have a poll to help Nexon get the idea on what the Mabinogi players want and don’t want. Also, you do have quite a history of ‘attacking’ and being disrespectful to others because you didn’t like their ideas. /thonk

    I don't remember saying that, but it sound like the type of suggestion I'd make lol (please link the post). I often ask the OP of a thread to add a poll, but I still wouldn't force a poll on someone else's thread without their consent. That's not nice.

    As for attacking and disrespect... I dunno, that's totally subjective so I'll have to take your word for it.