Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Filia desert has big hills again

KouyioueKouyioue
Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
edited September 23, 2021 in Town Square
g0pS6D.jpg

I don't think Filia's desert has had hills since before the G17 towns renewal(filia and vales were redesigned and the town chiefs placed indoors instead of outside). It was flat for all that time.

For the longest time, the only hilled area was the Oasis.

g0pPhH.jpg

Comments

• FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    I was confused about the lack of sand dunes when I returned since the Connous I remember (from '09) definitely had them.

So... I checked yesterday. There were no dunes outside of Filia, but there were multiple near the eastern region's Mana Tunnel. It was consistent across all the channels. I meant to take a capture, but, yeah, that didn't happen :^|

Checked today just now and I did not see ANY dunes in Connous. Does the landscape change daily or something?
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Time to get out your sand skis!
  • FluoretteFluorette
    edited September 28, 2021
    Been checking the Connous area every day since I last posted. Haven't seen any dunes since. I did find an interesting buttcrack line that ran across the desert for quite a distance

but that may have been a textural error on my part :D

Maybe the area needs some stimulation. If I hit some mobs and do some L-Rod exploration/Land Making, will a dune show up somewhere ?_?
  • HelsaHelsa
    Fluorette wrote: »
    Been checking the Connous area every day since I last posted. Haven't seen any dunes since. I did find an interesting buttcrack line that ran across the desert for quite a distance

Maybe the area needs some stimulation. If I hit some mobs and do some L-Rod exploration/Land Making, will a dune show up somewhere ?_?

Maybe the dunes and their position is tied to the which location of Longa is being used. So, if you recognize the pattern you might be able to know where Longa is in order to get the discovery credit?
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Helsa wrote: »

Maybe the dunes and their position is tied to the which location of Longa is being used. So, if you recognize the pattern you might be able to know where Longa is in order to get the discovery credit?

:D

I wondered the same; I should try that
  • HelsaHelsa

:D

I wondered the same; I should try that

You have your leave madam; godspeed!
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    edited October 4, 2021
    Still no new hills and stuff after that initial discovery . . . .. .

I've been in longa/connous all week because I've been farming magical arrows from the dungeon and haven't seen those cool hills since the first time. It may have just been a glitch in the game's programming after all.

I'm disappointed
  • HelsaHelsa
    So was it just a hiccup that happened once?
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    edited October 14, 2021
    Found some dunes again! Alexina, channel 6:

gVRAZZ.gif

Maybe it's broken in such a way that you can only see them very early in the boot cycle of a new server restart?

There's something kind of neat about seeing desert ghosts stand on something other than flat un-hilly desert:

gVRium.jpg

gVR0Ai.jpg
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    edited October 14, 2021
    I wonder if AFKing here in the desert will keep the hills from despawning?

In any case, I'll keep a character sitting in the desert for a while, hopefully someone besides me can actually SEE these hills and it's not just some freak glitch that only happens to MY computer

Edit: 2 hours later:
    It looks like the hill I was AFKing on just disappeared from beneath me. Now my character is sitting on flat land.... But there are still dunes all around me if you still want to explore Filia Desert

Edit: 3 hours later:
    It seems like the dunes move quite a lot actually. I haven't actually CAUGHT them moving because I don't pay much attention to the game window. But the dunes have indeed moved a third time

Tell you what..... I'm going to move my character high up into the sky, and keep the camera facing a direction and keep a screenshot folder. Every time the dunes change I will take a screenshot. At the end of the day I'll make an animated gif.

Edit 4: I took a lunchbreak and simply sat here the whole time staring at the screen while eating.
    From my long term observations, Filia's desert looks like it's one giant, slow-moving rolling ocean mesh. You can't track changes by simply staring at it but if you were to wait 20 or 30 minutes between screenshots, you'll be able to notice that new dunes have indeed formed while the old ones either flatten out or increase a little. It's a VERY slow process

Edit 5: Sad to see but it looks like the hills are simply dying out, Filia is getting flatter and flatter. Let's hope I'm wrong and some new dunes form while I'm still observing this channel, but with how slow this desert moves it's almost impossible to guess if a dune is forming or going away.. Earlier in my (real life)day the changes were interesting but at this point(in real life) they all just look like they're going away.

Edit 6: HAH! I was probably wrong. The hills look like they disappear and form one by one rather than the other assumption that the entire desert was one giant animated mesh. I noticed that my game was shimmering in one spot so I stared at it for a while and noticed that one of the hills was verrrry slooowwwwly flattening back to nothing. I'll try to get a video recording of it happening if I manage to catch one of these incidents again
    Fluorette
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    edited October 14, 2021
    gVT1ak.gif

Well here's a gif compilation of the changes I've tracked so far. Each picture is around 20 to 30 minutes apart with the last three taken being about 12 minutes or less apart.

Right now I'm less interested in tracking changes right now and I'm trying to put all of my attention into catching and recording a hill forming//unforming rather than taking screenshots

At this time though.... Filia's desert has gone back to being (disappointingly) flat(I haven't moved the camera so I'm not looking behind me). So something tells me I might not actually catch another hill change today(real life).

One last remark: I finally decided to take a flyaround. It looks like the desert only forms hills near ME, a player. Everywhere I've currently flown right now is nothing but generic flat desert. I'm gonna go AFK in a remote (flat) part of the desert see if dunes start forming around my character

- - - - - - - - - - -

I'm giving up for today. I'm going to go with my first thought and assume that this is just a glitch and dunes only happen when the server is very newly-rebooted. I haven't seen any new dunes since I gave up earlier and my character has been in Filia Desert on channel 6.... all day...
    Fluorette
  • HelsaHelsa
    Well, I'll be. The dunes actually move; they bothered to program that in! That's kinda cool actually. What about the Muyu desert? Same thing? If they bothered with this detail, I wonder if the sky has planets; did they bother with that?
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Turns out I haven't had time to do anything related to this for the past few weeks, but woooooooooooooooooooowww these observations are great.

Kouyioue wrote: »
    One last remark: I finally decided to take a flyaround. It looks like the desert only forms hills near ME, a player. Everywhere I've currently flown right now is nothing but generic flat desert. I'm gonna go AFK in a remote (flat) part of the desert see if dunes start forming around my character

So, it's not punching monsters or creating holes / mounds with the sand. It's just being the area that stimulates the desert to make dunes? I would've never guessed.

I'm giving up for today. I'm going to go with my first thought and assume that this is just a glitch and dunes only happen when the server is very newly-rebooted. I haven't seen any new dunes since I gave up earlier and my character has been in Filia Desert on channel 6.... all day...

Well, glitch or not, this is still intriguing!
    I'll tell you what: I don't usually AFK, but I'll make an exception sometime over this weekend in attempt to confirm whether this is the case or not.

On a related note: I wonder if the desert isn't the only place that behaves in this way. You can create holes in the snow as well. Are the hills in the snowfields of Physis set, or do they rise and fall gradually when a player is present as well? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • FluoretteFluorette
    I stood in the desert from 4:10 P.M. - 7:20 P.M., checked in a few times in between, and noticed no changes in the landscape... T.T I'm afraid you may be right.... but part of me wants to hope it's otherwise.

What about the Muyu desert? Same thing? If they bothered with this detail, I wonder if the sky has planets; did they bother with that?

I believe the dunes in Muyu are set; never noticed any changes in them. Guess the devs wanted to focus on all the time-based devices scattered around that desert than the actual dunes. Shrugggggg

Also: I can't speak for planets, but I DID stumble upon something interesting in the sky a few years back. I was in the Courcle region at the time and the sky there showed this -

APbHgx4.jpg
    ISvZxIX.jpg
    Kx72fEw.jpg
    Excuse the dumb character model; back then I didn't embrace the screenshot mode.

It went on from sunset to dawn. I initially wondered if it was some graphical error on my part, but nah; I'd like to think this is something added to this region when certain conditions are met (a certain time of the Erinn year, maybe?) I haven't seen it since, but then again, I haven't been paying good enough attention to the sky. :D
    Makes me wonder if there's an aurora type of thing in Physis. I ought to start watching the skies!
  • ToucandyToucandy
    Mabinogi Rep: 710
    This is SO cool i had no idea this was a thing.
  • HelsaHelsa
    APbHgx4.jpg
    ISvZxIX.jpg
    Kx72fEw.jpg
    Excuse the dumb character model; back then I didn't embrace the screenshot mode.

Laser light show? Maybe it was from that event waaaaaaaay back that gave away the shooting star robe?

• FluoretteFluorette
    edited October 20, 2021
    Laser light show? Maybe it was from that event waaaaaaaay back that gave away the shooting star robe?

Don't recognize that event. But nope. The screenshots' were taken January 2018. I checked the archive and I didn't see any event from then that indicates that there would've been any effect on the skies in Erinn. With that said, I'd need to see the effect happen again (at the very least) to have a better idea of what's going on.

Back to the dunes, though. Tomorrow there'll be maintenance, so another server reboot. I don't know if I'll have time then to watch any forming dunes, but ... :D
  • HelsaHelsa

Don't recognize that event. ...

That event was a long time ago.
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    edited October 21, 2021
    Yeaaahh I'm going with "probably broken". Here they are again:

gdJbP2.png

If the "being broken" part is true, then they should be gone by about 8PM central time. Never to return... until the next server maintenance

EDIT: Caught a hill change on camera!

Fluorette
  • FluoretteFluorette
    ^Great capture
    That event was a long time ago.

As I said before.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Yep. With the passing of this week's maintenance brings the return of the sand dunes.
    HpsQHgd.png
    y8fuiVJ.png
    YOPk7vf.png
    uJUarS9.png

Sat in the desert for about an hour starting from 7:11 P.M. (EDT). Some dunes quickly receded close to where my character was sitting, while a new one formed closer.
    hWCtq19.png
    TdU5gvn.png

Changed the camera angle to focus on where that new dune had formed. Didn't notice any changes from these dunes for the remainder of my time there.
    fSyhpoH.png
    y11c37u.png
    U2j3v1W.png

I'm going to go with my first thought and assume that this is just a glitch and dunes only happen when the server is very newly-rebooted.

So far, this has been true.