Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Why nobody uses these forums (any more...)

Comments

• LutetiumLutetium
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,605
    Niought wrote: »
    Discord is much more reachable with less having to log in and out, in everyone who doesn't want to use forums defense. And you can still have "functional and structured conversations" on discord or anywhere else too.

I'm not saying you can't have a conversation on discord or other instant messaging services, but rather a message board offers a functional structure to conversations by nature of having individually threaded topics, you can have a conversation and a year later come back to the thread when you need to reference something in a specific post, usually being able to find the thread or even the exact post via the search function.
    Compared to instant messaging where you would be scrolling up for hours loading in logs and maybe with a little bit of luck have a search function that will help find the messages you're looking for hidden in tens of thousands of messages on different subjects with little to no separation.
    Both options of course allow you to have a conversation with one or more people, but I'm simply saying the message board format is better structured, not that every interaction must be that way or is somehow inferior, I wouldn't be running IRC and XMPP servers if I saw no value in instant messages, but the current internet culture pushes using only instant message even when it isn't as appropriate.

The constant forced logouts are very annoying though, and do nothing to help account security. I wish they would take lesson from getting rid of similarly useless false "security" features like the secondary password they did get rid of and get rid of forced logout and 60 day email reactivation for logging into the client.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    It's because there is so much going on discord these days. I remember these forums fondly but I honestly don't have time for them as much anymore. It doesn't help that discord released forum threads.
  • KitsunemorieKitsunemorie
    Mabinogi Rep: 100
    I find reddit to be better for stuff .Iv seen people ask here on some stuff and take days if not ever getting a answer to the question they asked .
  • NioughtNiought
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,660
    Lutetium wrote: »
    I'm not saying you can't have a conversation on discord or other instant messaging services, but rather a message board offers a functional structure to conversations by nature of having individually threaded topics, you can have a conversation and a year later come back to the thread when you need to reference something in a specific post, usually being able to find the thread or even the exact post via the search function.
    Compared to instant messaging where you would be scrolling up for hours loading in logs and maybe with a little bit of luck have a search function that will help find the messages you're looking for hidden in tens of thousands of messages on different subjects with little to no separation.
    Both options of course allow you to have a conversation with one or more people, but I'm simply saying the message board format is better structured, not that every interaction must be that way or is somehow inferior, I wouldn't be running IRC and XMPP servers if I saw no value in instant messages, but the current internet culture pushes using only instant message even when it isn't as appropriate.

The constant forced logouts are very annoying though, and do nothing to help account security. I wish they would take lesson from getting rid of similarly useless false "security" features like the secondary password they did get rid of and get rid of forced logout and 60 day email reactivation for logging into the client.

Hmm, I guess I see your point, but its not always like that for discord, even then? Really depends on what server your in I guess, cause like, in a lot of the ones I'm in, there's different threads for different topics. And for certain topics, they are much more slow going. Usually even the general chats are somewhat slow, even with their fast days. And, just like with these forums, discord has a search engine too. I've been able to find past conversations just fine with certain keywords.

I'll say though, its not so slow that it'd be relevant to return to a conversation a year later like that on discord, I wouldn't imagine.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    h48T7ju.jpg
    Sherri
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,715
    Helsa wrote: »
    h48T7ju.jpg

well yeah, but this thread was also made in June of 2022, i've seen threads on here get to this amount of posts within days

i really do think people should bring back forums again, i still kind of don't understand why they died out.. yeah discord is cool and all for dm's and the like, but nothing will replace forums for me :smile:
    Pectyl