Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Why nobody uses these forums (any more...)

HabimaruHabimaru
Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
in General Chat
Time to gather survey-results...
  1. Forums...? Obviously because...21 votes
    1. ...because I'm/we're on Discord
       24% (5 votes)
    2. ...because I'm/we're on Reddit
       10% (2 votes)
    3. ...because I'm/we're on Guilded
       0% (0 votes)
    4. ...because I'm/we're on Telegram
       0% (0 votes)
    5. ...because I'm/we're on Skype
       0% (0 votes)
    6. ...because I/we don't want to talk to anyone ! Go away...!
       5% (1 vote)
    7. ...because the forum-rules became too restrictive (not that it's any better anywhere else...)
       14% (3 votes)
    8. ...because I'm/we're too busy trying to make in-game progress
       14% (3 votes)
    9. ...because I'm/we're now mostly on some other game(s) instead
       0% (0 votes)
    10. ...because I am deliberately avoiding (a)(n) (certain) attention-seeking forumer(s)
       5% (1 vote)
    11. ...because I'm/we're now on some other forum/communication-platform
       0% (0 votes)
    12. ...because I/we have decided to quit all dialogue with people on-line
       10% (2 votes)
    13. ...just because...! O_O
       0% (0 votes)
    14. Else/Other
       19% (4 votes)

Comments

• NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    I think Discord, Reddit, and other places like them play a small part in why not as many players use the forums anymore. But it is kind of sad how dead the forums are these days. There are just so many other sites you can access easier with your phone or a mobile device. For a while I was having some major issues logging into the Mabinogi forums which greatly decreased my activity here for a bit. It appears some player either were or still are having similar issues which could explain some of the activity here decreasing.

My guess is forums like these are becoming outdated when there are more convenient ways to discuss things about the game with other players. I am probably one of the few that actually doesn't use Discord that much mostly cause I am old fashioned. Forums work just fine and I don't see any reason to stop using them until they 100% die. Things change, back in my day in the 90's the only mobile computers we had were a gameboy and everyone used forums when going online. Now everything is mobile and we have 5 year old kids using cell phones that are basically mini computers. Checking the Mabinogi forums on my phone is a lot more work than just checking Discord or Reddit from my phone. Things are changing and now I feel ancient, technology really has improved dramatically over the past 30 or so years.
    HabimaruSherri
  • HoldHold
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,480
    Negumiko wrote: »
    For a while I was having some major issues logging into the Mabinogi forums which greatly decreased my activity here for a bit. It appears some player either were or still are having similar issues which could explain some of the activity here decreasing.
    This right here was the biggest contributor. Me and my friends gave up coming to this forms because of how bad it was to login. It was really aggravating knowing you couldn't report nothing, couldn't join in on a discussion, or couldn't ask for help on this forum. It seems like its been fixed ever since they moved to that new 2 step verification, for me at least. I've been able to login without any issue now.

Sadly Discord took up all of the community for anyone to bother coming back.
    Habimaru
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    Hold wrote: »
    For a while I was having some major issues logging into the Mabinogi forums which greatly decreased my activity here for a bit. It appears some player either were or still are having similar issues which could explain some of the activity here decreasing.
    This right here was the biggest contributor. Me and my friends gave up coming to this forms because of how bad it was to login. It was really aggravating knowing you couldn't report nothing, couldn't join in on a discussion, or couldn't ask for help on this forum. It seems like its been fixed ever since they moved to that new 2 step verification, for me at least. I've been able to login without any issue now.

Sadly Discord took up all of the community for anyone to bother coming back.

I started noticing login issues around the time the forums and main website had their look updated. This issue was only affecting my access to the forums and I could still login to the main website and report the problem. However whenever support messaged me back they said they couldn't do anything about forum related issues.

What finally fixed it for me was I messed around in my account settings and I finally tried changing my Nexon Tag in the Personal Info Tab. Once I typed in my new Nexon Tag name it gave me some new random numbers at the end and the problem was fixed. Have not had a issue since. So if you know anyone that is still struggling to login to the forums have them try changing their Nexon Tag if they can. I think some of the old Nexon Tags got messed up when they updated the main website and the forums.
  • KouyioueKouyioue
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    edited June 21, 2022
    Mismanagement of the pre-2015 forums in general.

Posts would often get deleted and people casually singled-out and followed around, censored here and there. On top of the one-sided (rape license type) policies where the faculty were allowed to do whatever they wanted to people and were not obligated to leave any explanations or warnings for any of the edits or trimmings they would do. In retrospect, one would think that they'd interpret those policies in a way that was sane and fair for the betterment of the forum, but instead they gladly did this stuff the heavy-handed-way and openly talked about enjoying it. The only reason the older administration behave better at all is because it is explicitly demanded of them now and not because they want to. Ala, and I quote quite directly: "figure it out loser because I'm not telling you why and I don't feel like I have to" every time a user asked the acting faculty about why they give no warnings or explanation. And there was even a policy in place where you'd get banned or heavily censored for criticizing these policies.

And like everyone else here, the funny technical forum issues with the pre-2015 forum. :blush: You had to log in twice, you had to click forum topics twice you had to post twice, etc etc etc. Just to work around the quirks of the very broken pre-2015 forums. That was fun times. We also had custom avatars !

Even if progress has been made, this place is pretty much 'damaged-goods' to most people and the advent of all of those other chat platforms already provided the safe-harbor from the nightmare this place was.
    HabimaruPectylSherri
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited June 20, 2022
    The forums aren't as active as they were years ago, but it's not like "nobody" visits or posts. The premise here is phrased with a leading question.
  • KelpSodaKelpSoda
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145
    edited June 21, 2022
    the amusing clownish miscreants got banned/vanished while i was gone ¯ \_(ツ)_/¯
    also too many things changed from like 2015 so i pick "because I/we have decided to quit all dialogue with people on-line" lol
    Habimaru
  • ratchetratchet
    Mabinogi Rep: 205
    edited June 23, 2022
    For me the reason is different. I used to play Mabinogi many years ago, and then I stopped just like that. Or frankly enough, I don't even remember the reason for leaving the game. And now I have again started to play it a while back. Before that I almost forgot about the existence of Mabinogi. Until the time I had to write a research paper outline example on Nexon Inc, then the game clicked me and I started to play it. I also didn't thought of the forum. It just randomly popped up in my head to give it a search.
    Habimaru
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Lots of technology has long-existed though that can power everything without dependence on fossil-fuels;
    not that we plebeians will ever be informed of these facts without some serious digging up of key archives...
    Things are changing and now I feel ancient, technology really has improved dramatically over the past 30 or so years.
    This is a story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody. There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it. Somebody got angry about that, because it was Everybody’s job. Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn’t do it. It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have.
  • SaiSai
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,785
    For me, the forums just stopped being fun to visit. I stopped coming when it became overly moderated.
    I peek once or twice every few months.
    HabimaruPectylLiberateHardmuscleSherri
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    there's a number of reasons for the lack of activity among the general populace, but the more non-specific ones include: (1) the fact that you can't say or do a number of things here that you can do almost anywhere else; (2) the Nexon staff/mods presence (if even?); and (3) that forums all over the Internet in general have been seeing a decline for quite some time now.
    Habimaru
  • HelsaHelsa
    By "use" the OP really means "posts", I think we'd be surprised by how many still come to lurk. All gaming forums face the same problem: a big chunk of posts made are of the "how do I" variety. Over time these are all answered. So you show up, search for your answer, find it, and don't bother to post. Every game forum faces this eventually.
  • HabimaruHabimaru
    Gymnastics with Semantics is unnecessary; and few people actually lurk; it's basically literally the same handful of people who might visit these forums each day, but, otherwise, the lack of changing view-counts each day goes to show that there's very little traffic (regardless if it's from posters or lurkers). Certain topics might get people's attention/reactions, but, for the most part, this is no longer the «hang-out» that it once was (although, that might be a good thing, for, I remember, the more-smoothly the game ran, the more that people would work on trying to make in-game progress; forum-usage was historically higher when there were game-issues, due to complaints about unsmooth/non-smooth game-plays, and, that old fiasco about «elves» apparently being a «controversial» topic; why so many people in this world lack the ability to exercise intellectual-honesty even over «important matters» such as whether the game/classes/races are even «balanced» or not was once really beyond me until I finally cracked the psychological-code as to what causes these cult-behaviours but not to digress)...

...first time I came across such a «ridiculous» phenomenon, from a different game before I arrived at Mabinogi, the «dogmatic» players absolutely insisted that all the «classes» in that game were «balanced» despite the fact that the «thief» class was like 90% of the whole entire damn player-base, and, the ONLY so-called «class/profession» (get a REAL job you THIEVES) that could ONE-SHOT tough opponents even with a cheap 10g dagger (NONE of the other classes had even CLOSE to that amount of DPS even with a much more expensive store-bought weapon). I have since learned that it's best for me to NOT make «friends» with those kinds of «dogmatic/argumentative» people (also because they always become «hostile» for some reason or even no reason at all) and to essentially NOT «associate» (or even interact) with them at all in any way; this also applies to both on-line and off-line by the way as it's been my experience that such people have only ever caused net-problems for my life for a variety of reasons... anyway, now that the connection-speeds here have been upgraded to fibre-optics, I might bother to login again next Sunday or one of these Sundays & see if I can't finally complete the necessary Dan-Test Requirements for Final-Rank of Magnum-Shot...
    Helsa wrote: »
    By "use" the OP really means "posts", I think we'd be surprised by how many still come to lurk. All gaming forums face the same problem: a big chunk of posts made are of the "how do I" variety. Over time these are all answered. So you show up, search for your answer, find it, and don't bother to post. Every game forum faces this eventually.
    Spoiler-Content : What seemed to me to be the most-impactful reason(s) for dwindling activity.
    ...also, I do know of the existence of active forums, revived forums, etc., and, they are most-certainly not lacking in activity (the mistake here with its original population was as was quoted in an entrepreneur-magazine : «It takes 20 years to build a good reputation & only 5 minutes to ruin it»)... this is the reason why the «momentum» that could have continued & piggy-backing off of the wave-of-energy of previous population-numbers has or had people choosing to refuse to return to the company or any of its products/services altogether (and having «authoritarian» managers/systems that are quick to punish or auto-ban for even the tiniest or briefest of «infractions» also does not help the bottom-line in any way).
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited July 6, 2022
    I think its because a game like this is inevitably as fun as its community, and it has been what, over a decade of operation? Honestly, there are several factors to consider.

1. Fantasy MMORPGs just aren't as popular as they were. Like battle royale games, they were a trend that was going to die out until another company spends a heck ton of money advertising the next state of the art, most immersive MMO imaginable. The forums are a small segment of the shrinking/static playerbase. We aren't going to attract new players, and people will inevitably move on from Mabinogi to play other games if not have lives. It's social entropy.

2. Mabinogi is a drastically different game than it was years ago, in both as a game and its management. Past mismanagement has definitely soured many players that may have contributed to a more vibrant community in this day and age. For others, they don't enjoy Mabinogi except as a habit, and realize they should stop playing if they don't enjoy it.

3. Old games in general just don't attract much new players, especially if they are part of a past trend (See number 1 above). The shift to mobile games, battle royale, and god knows what else has help to date Mabinogi...for now. I imagine there'll be a resurgence in this genre, but I am not holding my breadth.

4. People use Discord.

Am I saying Mabinogi is dying? In a way, yes. All things do, and Mabinogi doesn't have the fortune of being associated with a franchise like Final Fantasy or World of Warcraft. I say this as someone who used to play Mabinogi religiously. Albeit, I started playing in Middle School and now I have bills to pay and a job to do. It will die one day, and its decline will be slow and steady. I'm 26 and I am going to die one day, hopefully after growing to the ripe old age of 40.

If you're worried about Mabinogi dying and you still enjoy playing it, then don't waste your time worrying. Just enjoy the time you have. I certainly don't regret my time spent here (Except all those times I made an out of myself), and neither should you.
  • PectylPectyl
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,715
    I can’t choose any of the answers because I think this is a more complex issue.

First and foremost, I believe access to too many official social media “hangout” sites are a detriment to an online games health, once upon a time people used to login and chat in game even when other options where available like Skype and TeamSpeak, there was something about meeting up in game instead of spending all day in a chat app, maybe I am just old school at this point but something changed when Discord came around, was it that there was now an official Mabinogi Discord group? The activity? Or perhaps too many Discord focused, events and content? I don’t personally know, but what I do know is that this could draw attention away from the game itself.

Second, Discord is really bad at information retention, I cannot count the amount of times I have seen people ask the same questions that has already been answered 4-6 times a day in different Discord groups and I would not be surprised if it’s the same case in the Mabinogi Discord group, I know that some recent additions have slightly remedied this by having threads and of course the pin feature helps but it’s nowhere near enough.

Solution? I am not sure if there is one at this point, but if there are 3 things that could help remedy this issue it would be to first put some of that Discord content/event energy in game instead, second make the Mabinogi World wiki more user friendly and if there isn’t one add a easily accessible FAQ to the Wiki and third, use the current official social media platforms to give people a reason to log in to the game instead.
  • LiberateLiberate
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,360
    Sai wrote: »
    For me, the forums just stopped being fun to visit. I stopped coming when it became overly moderated.

This, and it's also a hassle to just login that ends up logging you out frequently.
    Sherri
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,715
    i much prefer the forums, as it's easier to chat here compared to Discord.. you gotta be constantly watching Discord and are expected to reply right away or the convo will switch faster than a tik tok video, and it goes by so fast.. i was never very good with keeping up with a chat going faster than the speed of light :/
    other than that, both have pros and cons.. discord has custom profile pics (something we never got :unamused: ) but at least there isnt paywalled emojis on the forums
    Liberate wrote: »
    Sai wrote: »

This, and it's also a hassle to just login that ends up logging you out frequently.

YESSS its so annoying to keep having to log in! especially with it being hooked up to my phone and all -_-
    Pectyl
  • NioughtNiought
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,660
    edited March 3, 2023
    Tbh, the forums seem fine and active to me. Not overly active, and it's not like I can compare it to the older days where it may've been more active then, since I haven't been around for that long. Speaking personally though, I just don't check in too frequently, but I'm not in the official mabi discord, or in its reddit. Forums is the only place I come to to see if anyone needs help/has a cool suggestion, or if I need help and have a suggestion of my own.

Its not like "no one" uses the forums here, though. I definitely still do, even if I don't log in every single day.
    SherriLutetium
  • LutetiumLutetium
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,605
    Niought wrote: »
    Tbh, the forums seem fine and active to me. Not overly active, and it's not like I can compare it to the older days where it may've been more active then, since I haven't been around for that long. Speaking personally though, I just don't check in too frequently, but I'm not in the official mabi discord, or in its reddit. Forums is the only place I come to to see if anyone needs help/has a cool suggestion, or if I need help and have a suggestion of my own.

Its not like "no one" uses the forums here, though. I definitely still do, even if I don't log in every single day.
    The mass centralization of the internet since 2007 in combination with the younger generations burned out dopamine receptors and diminished attention spans from constant stimulation and algorithm induced addictions have mostly destroyed message boards and other structured forms of conversation in favor of "infinite scroll feeds/chats", it's an unfortunate result of western culture becoming terminally online.
    But there are still people out there, even some zoomers, who do appreciate a functional and structured conversation offered by the message board format, even if things move a bit slower now days. I respect those who still do, even if I myself might only pop in a few times in a year here between work life and my own small online communities.
  • NioughtNiought
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,660
    Lutetium wrote: »
    The mass centralization of the internet since 2007 in combination with the younger generations burned out dopamine receptors and diminished attention spans from constant stimulation and algorithm induced addictions have mostly destroyed message boards and other structured forms of conversation in favor of "infinite scroll feeds/chats", it's an unfortunate result of western culture becoming terminally online.
    But there are still people out there, even some zoomers, who do appreciate a functional and structured conversation offered by the message board format, even if things move a bit slower now days. I respect those who still do, even if I myself might only pop in a few times in a year here between work life and my own small online communities.

Okay, I pretty much disagree with all that. Discord is much more reachable with less having to log in and out, in everyone who doesn't want to use forums defense. And you can still have "functional and structured conversations" on discord or anywhere else too. Really, I just can't actually use Mabinogi's official discord, its nothing personal against it. As for reddit and anywhere else, I simply don't want to have to make an account for it, so these forums in my case, is the easiest option to be apart of the community outside of the game.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited March 5, 2023
    Niought wrote: »
    ... is the easiest option to be apart of the community outside of the game.

There's a pun in there somehow. :)

EDIT:
    Anyway the forums aren't "dead". Every time I make a post to the Jousting Finals thread, someone buries it within hours. ;)
    Niought