Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Best skill builds centred around close combat?

ShouKShouK
Mabinogi Rep: 4,735
edited January 9, 2017 in Help
Sorry if I posted too many topics owo

There are too many skills in the game. So I am wondering what do you guys rank in priority due to limited AP? I am specifically asking about important
skills centred around final hit and bash? I know R5 song and Lullaby is a must, should I spend the AP for battlefield overture, enduring melody for the fast regenerations too? Because final hit has its long cooldown, bash eats up durability and stamina, and they are useful for close combat and 1vs1 only, what other second main skills that can be used?

I think I have about 3k+ total AP, so I wanna re-rank skills that allows me to run harder stuff and not be squishy while still sparing some AP for me to train other skills. I'm pretty frustrated that other players with less skills rank have a much easier time fighting stronger monster while I can't, because for the life of me I can't figure out a good strategy to utilize my skills.

P/S: If you can screencap your vital skills hotkeys that would be really helpful :D

Comments

• Clovis15Clovis15
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,780
    edited January 9, 2017
    It's possible those lower-levelled players have everything reforged out the Ying-Yang, rather than possessing a mythical skill-set. There's plenty of under 3K players on Mabinogi that've actually been around nearly forever, and thus their true-secret is their gear more than anything. It's also - rather sadly - possible they're acting duplicitously via "non-terms allowed" means (especially if they regularly engage in PvP)*; but that's neither something we're allowed to discuss, nor something you should ever consider getting mixed-up with.

* (I obviously don't mean to imply all PVPers are doing this, but those that do are nearly always into PVP.)

My honest advice going forward - however - is that TTL 3K really isn't that high, and I'd focus on getting more AP and taking advantage of AP-producing events whenever they arrive. That said, you should probably be informed - based on your specific question - that you may only have a single song-buff in effect at any moment (exempting Lullaby). As such you can't benefit from both Battlefield Overture and Enduring Melody at the same time, which admittedly is rather annoying. I know this is really frustrating right now - and I was certainly there back when I was your level - but simply getting more AP is a far more fruitful path, and saves you the Reset Capsule purchase as well.

Additionally - and I doubt you've personally considered this - but you might also wish to look into Life Skills, that extra Stamina really goes a long ways towards keeping you fighting.

NOTE: I'm currently nearly TTL 8K, and Elite Shadow Missions are generally too easy at this juncture.
  • ShouKShouK
    OMG I didnt realize my typo there - my apologies, I meant to say I think I have about 3k+ AP, not that Im total level 3k. I am still under 1k, which is why I am asking on the must rank skills while still have some AP left to train some other skills. I have ranked skills and resetted them, therefore when I reset my skill again and rebirth into another talent to train, Im wondering about what skills is a must to re-rank to still be strong.
  • TheNyanCatTheNyanCat
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,665
    If you need stamina then rank production mastery, it gives a whooping 10 per rank. And catering is also another big stamina booster though that's a bit harder to get.

The reason other players have much faster clear times is because of the raw stats they have(or gear as mentioned already), gunner and ninja have wide aoe but require a nice sum of stats to clear effectively. Just focus on raising your base stats like strength through life skills and such. Rerank skills such as combat or magic mastery since those are the kind of skills that are going to give you the bulk of your core stats.
  • XeekTheMightyXeekTheMighty
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,505
    Unless you are dead set on close combat I recommend switching to fighter. It is by far the best starting talent. It takes about ~1500 AP to get master if you ignore counter punch, Respite, and Tumble. Which I recommend you do.
    This will also leave you some Ap to rank final hit and a few other combat skills that you may find useful.

Another alternative route that my friend recommended is getting ranking Fire Bolt and the masteries around it. Getting a CC-firewand and setting up your homestead to make potions. You should be doing very high numbers very quick.
    Personally I find this route tedious and a bit cheesy.

If you wish to stick to combat, I don't recommend you rank enduring melody. It is not that beneficial for restoring stamina. You can always just rest or get a few stamina potions. Close Combat does not have a lot of AoE options, so you will not be clearing the field with it.
  • ShouKShouK
    @TheNyanCat Actually I have already rank production mastery and catering to R1. However, as of right now, I didn't rerank catering back to 1 and let it stay at rank F. I am focusing on raising my stats through skills, but my exact questions is what I should re-rank in the mean time as to make my life easier in running say, a hardmode mission. Other than combat mastery?

@XeekTheMighty I'm not exactly set on close combat, I'm just set on basing around final hit and bash. I did ranked Firebolt and some of the masteries to R1 and I have a cc+4 firewand. However, I don't prefer mage atm because it takes a huge chunk of AP, require lots and lots of pots and the repair fee is high (I can afford it but I'm cheap lol)

Let me rephrase my question. So I have all these skills at R1:
    Close Combat: Defense, smash, counter attack, assault slash, windmill, combat mastery, critical hit, bash, final hit, sword mastery, light armor mastery, heavy armor mastery, dual wield mastery
    Archery: Ranged attack, magnum shot, arrow revolver, crash shot, bow mastery
    Ninja: All skills
    Bard: All R1 except Musical Knowledge (R4), Encore and Enthralling Performance (both didn't get yet)
    Life skills: Weaving, Carpenter, Mining, Refining, Production Mastery, ingredient hunting, catering
    Magic: Firebolt, icebolt, lightning bolt, fire mastery, bolt mastery, thunder and fireball. Other of note are magic mastery, lightning mastery and ice mastery all at R3.

I checked my AP, and it is near and possibly already 4k AP. My question is, out of all these skills that I have ranked, what should I re-rank (because I always reset my skills to train new ones) in order to utilize what I have ranked so far? I want to test how far I have gotten by properly re-ranking my skills, but I am so confused on what skills are important at my current level.
  • TheNyanCatTheNyanCat
    For close combat defense, windmill, assault slash and combat mastery are your core skills. Critical hit is a must period. Get will and luck where you can and raise your max damage since critical damage scales from it. I would also recommend armor masteries for defense and they're also cheap ap wise if you use armor often. Also getting some ninja skills to at least r9 would not be a bad idea since the talent gives a lot of strength and will on it's own. Though if you're going to use close combat to clear I would get lullaby and overture to high ranks and pick up bash to clear, grand master bard would greatly help.

Magic weapons can be made cheap if you slap a engineers enchant on them which cuts the repair fee in half, or any item for that matter. Or if you want 1 gold repairs just nab a beginners ice want and make it a chain cast. You would rank music knowledge for the chunks of int it gives if you wanted magic attack. If you plan to do gunner I would suggest having some points into magic at some point.

If you want clear time then puppetry, ninja and gunslinger are the talents you are going to want to aim for. I personally prefer guns and ninja but you would want high amounts of strength, int and will to clear effectively. You can go puppets but you would want to rank archery for dex but archery on it's own is a bit lackluster, not to mention if you use heavy armor your damage will suffer from the dex penalty.

Remember that you can also raise your damage with some cheap max damage enchants here and there. What server are you on?

I would again recommend fighter. While you cannot use bash, final hit still works. Ans if you decided to rank up Ninja you would have some will to back you up.

Other than that I would say;
    Close Combat: smash, assault slash, windmill, combat mastery, critical hit, bash, final hit, sword mastery, dual wield mastery.
    Should be your core.
    For Music: Battlefield. If you do not want to carry an instrument then song.

Then start ranking Ninja as it would give you another tool to fight and give you HP, Str, and Will.
  • ShouKShouK
    @TheNyanCat I'm on Alexina. I used up all my character cards and each got talents already so I can't have anymore beginner weapons T^T I also don't have R1 enchant. Also are all magic weapons eats up durability fast or just the fire wand? I used the fire wand and it loses durability so quickly, so have to fix it quite a lot of times, which means greater chances of the repairer breaking my wand.

@XeekTheMighty I guess I'll do fighter next then. So ninja skills are actually useful? I remember I just focus on hating ninja so much because it's so grindy to rank... I thought only sakura abyss and kunai storm is useful but sakura abyss has a long cooldown. Crisis escape and lullaby to substitute shadow cloak and shadow bind respectively. Normal attack and shuriken charge is laggy on my part. Smokescreen and explosive kunai are useless. Both of you are saying ninja would help but I don't see how?? I thought it's only useful for giving strength.
    edited January 11, 2017
    Strength, HP and Will.
    For Example; Smokescreen to rank 3 gives you 18 HP, 18 Str and 7 will.
    Explosive Kunai is the same.

Eventually they all add up to be a hefty amount of Str and HP.
    Shuriken Mastery gives 34 HP and Str.

They all give some Str, HP, and Will.

Which will help with damage, and not being as squishy.
    Also,

If we ever get the ninja patch, then Smokescreen will also remove protection.

Edit: Funny enough, Kunai Storm gives you the least you need in Stats. Giving you 7 HP and Str and 19 will.

However the total for all ninja skills is about
    236 str, 178HP and 114 will.
  • TheNyanCatTheNyanCat
    ShouK
    ShouK said:

@TheNyanCat I'm on Alexina. I used up all my character cards and each got talents already so I can't have anymore beginner weapons T^T I also don't have R1 enchant. Also are all magic weapons eats up durability fast or just the fire wand? I used the fire wand and it loses durability so quickly, so have to fix it quite a lot of times, which means greater chances of the repairer breaking my wand.

@XeekTheMighty I guess I'll do fighter next then. So ninja skills are actually useful? I remember I just focus on hating ninja so much because it's so grindy to rank... I thought only sakura abyss and kunai storm is useful but sakura abyss has a long cooldown. Crisis escape and lullaby to substitute shadow cloak and shadow bind respectively. Normal attack and shuriken charge is laggy on my part. Smokescreen and explosive kunai are useless. Both of you are saying ninja would help but I don't see how?? I thought it's only useful for giving strength.
    All wands are like that, just remember that chain cast pretty much eats up durability 5x as fast. You can always just make a new account if you really want a beginner weapon.

And ninja is great for clearing purely because of kunai storm, every thing else is a little less practical however. If you paired it up with guns then you could clear entire waves of monsters by just spamming kunai storm and shooting rush.