Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!
Closed

Graphics Engine Update

Comments

• THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    Ninzerker wrote: »
    As it is currently I have to have two fans and an air conditioner running in order for my laptop to even boot mabi without hitting the emergency shut off due to overheating

Could they be using our computers to mine cryptocurrency?
    AlexisEU
  • SplatulatedSplatulated
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,930
    At this point, it would be far more cost-effective for DevCAT/Nexon to make a new game. Trying to redo literally EVERYTHING visual-wise in this game is just not worth the effort.

if they would do what runescape did and update a region at a time before going to a new engine entirely
    SherriBronzebreak
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    FYI there is a jump action although it doesn't do much other than jump up at a fixed position.
    And pressing spacebar with an active umbrella also allows you to jump around while moving.
  • ErorservErorserv
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,695
    FYI there is a jump action although it doesn't do much other than jump up at a fixed position.
    And pressing spacebar with an active umbrella also allows you to jump around while moving.

Mabinogi doesn't have any 3D physics, i.e. gravity. The characters z axis is locked to the height of the terrain. What you're seeing is the models animation play out while the actual physics object stays still. This is why you can't jump over things and walk under any paths or bridges.

Mabi is truly a product of its time.
  • GignarokGignarok
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    For engine change: I can reason with it. Tons of graphic issues, optimization is a mess and it honestly makes it hard to impossible to recommend this game to many of my friends. I'd be explaining how to stop/avoid more bugs than how to play the game. My insane patience is the only reason I don't quit(again) and I think it's important that the game gets improved in order to live longer and pull in more players. Considering a game this poorly done has ever had the following it did shows that their effort would be worth it to have a flood of new players coming in with friends of old and new players looking to play the new and improved Mabinogi with others. For NEXON they should already know that 1/3 friends is a whale.

Against engine change: It's a very high risk, questionable reward despite what I said. There is a chance nothing will change or people will enjoy it for a month and quit. Also it's not in the hands of NEXON but instead DevCAT as they are the owners of the game. Though I'm not familar with how they work in terms of updating(if it's dev or nx), I'm sure the process could take a very long time as they would have to redo the entire game, textures might not port well, mechanics needs to be redone and tested, ect. Even with a engine change we might not see this game for 1-2years as it would release in korea for a long time then release here in a very long time.

Worse case we never get it even if it's done(like I hear KR got optimizations we didn't though lack of solid proof lead me to dismiss this as incorrect information.

I think the least they can do is look at player mods and put many of them in the game. No I don't mean add "cheats". I'm talking about things like:
    -Font changes(give us multiple selections)
    -FoV Slider
    -Flash removal from crits/Rank ups(helps with people who get sick or headaches from excessive flashes, especially those poor gun mains)

Things that really make a huge difference that are small. Even without a engine change minor adjustments could change how tedious it is to play this amazing game.
  • GignarokGignarok
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    EDIT: FoV/Ability to change camera height*
  • o0mouse0oo0mouse0o
    Mabinogi Rep: 305
    edited March 16, 2019
    Coolaid- "While I myself do not care for graphics either
    A new engine would optimize the game better, better graphics or not you can't deny some parts of the game are severely unoptimized."

I agree with you. The game itself is enjoyable but there ARE plenty of needs for optimizing. I also dislike when I'm walking through any map and my character gets stuck on random invisible things. I wish I knew how to optimize the visuals when running around maps aswell. My high end video card can handle the max on everything but even so I still need to be close to a creature for it to suddenly appear? It's so weird how close I have to get to some NPCs or creatures to finally see them.

I would love a resolution increase for sure but also dont understand why I can't play the game fullscreen without it bugging out on me. Haven't bothered trying to figure it out since I started to watch netflix side by side while training things lol but when I go to fullscreen all the tiles either take an extraordinary amount of time to load or dont load at all. Shoot I play so many other games on my system at "ULTIMATE" mode with 1080p at 200+ fps without issues but Mabinogi is different and it drives me CRAZY cause I LOVE MABINOGI!!!
    THICCthighssavelives
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    *sigh*
    We're necrobumping this old thread?
    Hasn't Nexon's years of silence already done the talking?
This discussion has been closed.