Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Potion chugging.

LawrenceFoxLawrenceFox
Mabinogi Rep: 810
edited August 17, 2017 in General Chat
So I've noticed this Deadly Status thing from time to time and only now know that its because I have less than 0 HP? I was so confused at first why potions had zero effect unless I just frat boy style keg chug em which leads to the delightful potion poisoning...
It almost seems unavoidable and I have no say in choosing other options at times which kinda bugs to put it lightly.
I can't seem to find places to buy potions higher than 30 and with my health as it is, just one doesn't make a dent. So I have to quaff a wine cellar full of these things in order to get back from a hefty deadly status and then have to deal with the potion poisoning such and such.
Is the only other option to this investing in some sort of healing skill or something? Otherwise doing some of these story line quests are pretty much not worth it.

Comments

• IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    edited August 17, 2017
    Deadly is when you take so much damage from a single hit that your HP goes down past 0 and into the negatives.
    But hey it beats dying, usually!
    You can go down by up to -100% of your base HP (the white number on your character window) so depending on your HP, it sure would take a ton of HP30s to get out of that state, not to mention getting your HP back up to a comfortable amount.

I guess you can level up a pet so that its Healing skill gets stronger and just have your pet heal you when you need it.
    Have your pet use healing and just feed IT MP30s as needed.
    Healing yourself is really lame, as the normal healing skill drains your stamina at a 1:1 ratio of HP healed, so having a pet do it is a bit better an idea.

Or you can buy potions from other players, if someone has some for sale in their personal shop.

You could also train up the Potion Making skill to make your own 50 point or 100 point potions using herbs you gather using the Herbalism skill.
    That takes work, but not only will you save gold in the long run, but they're slightly less toxic to spam than the 30 point potions.

You can ALSO learn the Potion Lore hidden skill.
    It has a passive effect of making you more resistant to potion poisoning.
    Also adds a chance for potions to "crit" and heal even more than normal.

Oh also, if you don't mind eating food, you can try cooking and eating Poisonous Mushroom Stew.
    Despite the name, it actually works to reduce potion poisoning by a small amount.
    And if you're worried about getting a "Good Food Cutscene" in the middle of battle, if you're in Combat Mode when you eat anything, you'll never get any Food Cutscene, so combat eating can actually be a thing.
    [Deleted User]KokoroTheNyanCatSibbpawcalypse
  • PanPan
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,165
    Afk. You'll heal over time.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Pan wrote: »
    Afk. You'll heal over time.

joke.exe has stopped working.
    [Deleted User]Sibbpawcalypse
  • noobodyzxznoobodyzxz
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,990
  • ArchdukeValeCortezArchdukeValeCortez
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,380
    I recently asked something similar over on Reddit. The best answer was to learn not to need so many potions. The next best answer was to make your own 50 and then 100 pots. Finally, you can make 300 pots but there is a pretty severe choke point in ingredients needed.

If you're on Mari I can give you herbs to get your own garden started.
    Gspin
  • TheNyanCatTheNyanCat
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,665
    I recently asked something similar over on Reddit. The best answer was to learn not to need so many potions. The next best answer was to make your own 50 and then 100 pots. Finally, you can make 300 pots but there is a pretty severe choke point in ingredients needed.

I can't stress this enough, the game was not originally meant to be played like some stat checking simulator. You have to learn to play as if you're a glass cannon because that's how the game originally was, even though defensive stats are much easier to obtain you shouldn't be face tanking a giant mob of monsters. Though for more recent content such as the divine knights it really is a stat/luck check so if you can't clear those generations it's usually better to come back a bit later since those storylines are aimed at stronger people.
  • ArjuneArjune
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,890
    edited August 17, 2017
    just wait for the next event that drowns you in SE and RE potions :D they come in sizes up to 1000!

if one of those doesn't come for a while, you can get a small amount of RE potions from the Festia boxes. You can also get 300 pots from running Alban... you can possibly get some at the beginning of each floor. So if you can find someone to let you leech in exchange for your key at the end... that's some free potions there. Other than that... I believe just stick with the other suggestions people have given you
  • RheyRhey
    Mabinogi Rep: 10,175
    play fiesta. Potions seems 2 be the common prize.
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    You also have to remember that originally the game forced you to fight tactically in the beginning, and potion poisoning is a hold-over from that era. Currently there are many ways of avoiding potion spamming, and these are generally combat and style changes. Taking consideration into the recommendations of other people lets categorize these into 3 different categories: Item recovery, Skill Recovery, Defensive measures.

Item recovery: Your stock potion related recovery and primary source of self recovery. If you're deep into potion poisoning it might be beneficial to use other items such as cater dishes to improve your base HP as a form of "quick" healing. If you have the means, the seal shop always contains Full recovery potions, so if you take critical damage, it would be worth it to spend one of those to raise your HP back to full.

Skill Recovery: This will be your secondary means of recovery and may require different combat patterns or styles. Skills such as Party heal, Heal, Shield of Trust, transformation, and Life Drain are the skills you should look for. One method of employing these are to recover after a battle and reserve your potions for in-battle recovery. Life drain can be used combatitively, but requires a bit of planning to execute during a battle. In case of emergency, it may be wise to save your transformations (paladin/dark knight, falcon, beast) for critical moments as the act of transformation provides additional stats as a minor form of recovery, this may help you get through a difficult battle and further conserve your potions.

Defensive Measures: This is preparations done prior to doing dungeons, missions, etc. Namely, if the enemies you expect to encounter can endure your damage for longer periods of time, it may be wise to switch to equipment that boosts your defenses over equipment that boosts your damage. Keeping a heavy shield in your aux slot can also help to reduce your reliance on potions and only switch to it to endure strikes from enemies. Other things that can be done, particularly if you're alone is to switch to a more defensive fighting style rather than an overly offensive one. Making use of defence, counter, and strategic use of mana shield can also reduce potion consumption.

These are just some methods you can use to reduce potion reliance.
    Gspin
  • LawrenceFoxLawrenceFox
    Mabinogi Rep: 810
    TheNyanCat wrote: »

I can't stress this enough, the game was not originally meant to be played like some stat checking simulator. You have to learn to play as if you're a glass cannon because that's how the game originally was, even though defensive stats are much easier to obtain you shouldn't be face tanking a giant mob of monsters. Though for more recent content such as the divine knights it really is a stat/luck check so if you can't clear those generations it's usually better to come back a bit later since those storylines are aimed at stronger people.

Yup thats pretty much the quests I'm working on. I Thought about the healing skill and went about learning it. Although the heal 10 hp at a time for stamina 1:1 plus MP was a huge let down.... Its been a while since I've been on a mission or fighting baddies that do more than 1-10 damage to me ^^;; Pretty much shadow missions and pesky critters near ores and whatnot. But does Shield of Trust restore HP? I thought it only gives defense?
  • HazurahHazurah
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,570
    i usually gather those 100/50 HP/MP pot that lying around when doing sm party with 4-8 players and it always benefiting to have high rank first aid and handmade bandage
    really, people now rely too much of nimbus even when "fully" wounded
  • RaishiiRaishii
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,245
    Hazurah wrote: »
    i usually gather those 100/50 HP/MP pot that lying around when doing sm party with 4-8 players and it always benefiting to have high rank first aid and handmade bandage

Nimbi would only be effective if you have low HP. With the amount of HP we get now, 150 recovery and 30 wound healing just isn't enough, nor is it worth canceling Divine Link over. Full recovery pots are the way to go.
  • HazurahHazurah
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,570
    Raishii wrote: »
    Hazurah wrote: »

Nimbi would only be effective if you have low HP. With the amount of HP we get now, 150 recovery and 30 wound healing just isn't enough, nor is it worth canceling Divine Link over. Full recovery pots are the way to go.

well, i happened to be an Elf, HP is something small for me
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Or stash RE and SE potions like I do from events. Those potions stack to 50 and do not give you poisoning like regular potions.
    They can't be traded so it's sad when people litter them all over during those events.