Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Inventory System Changes

OrkaneOrkane
Mabinogi Rep: 2,365
edited August 11, 2018 in Feedback and Suggestions
Mabi's inventory system is bad; or rather it has become bad. Inventory tetris can be a fine system to put hard limits on what players can carry and represent those limits in a way that's immediately visually clear to most people i.e. players can judge based on an item's size how much of their inventory it is using up without having to do any calculations based on carry weight or anything like that. The problem is, mabi's inventory tetris was designed for an inventory that looks like this:

nJ5puNP.png

It's easy to see where everything is, and it's easy to tell that a 2x4 armour is using more space than 1x3 sword for example. It also doesn't take up much space on the screen and everything is easy to find.

With bags being made free for everyone and with larger and larger bags being released, inventories might now look more like this:

6kF8R48.jpg

This is a mess. It takes up the entire screen and is extremely unintuitive to use. The ability to tell at a glance how much of your inventory is being used by an item is gone because now it's hard to even tell how large the entire inventory is. It's unreasonable to keep it clean because looted items/ quest rewards/fishing/doll bags constantly add new clutter into unexpected places while potions/phoenix feathers are used in an order that's not at all obvious at a glance.

The search feature is also pretty bad. The way it highlights an item is the same as a new item, and it's still hard to see for 1x1 items which tend to be the items that need to be searched for most often. As an example, in the second screenshot, I have searched for a Melodic Metal Board. See how long it takes you to find it.

I suggest that there should be a way to browse through the inventory as a simple, scrollable list. In this list view, only the names of items would be visible and they would be sorted alphabetically (though other sorting options could be added such as by value). When a player uses the search bar in this list view, only items that match that search term will be shown in the list.

The current, tetris view would still be usable, and players would switch between them using a toggle option in the inventory menu.
Sebastian

Comments

• ErorservErorserv
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,695
    Nah it's fine. You do need to organize your inv though. Yikes.

It's easy to keep clean if you stay on top of it.
    GretaYangKoeteSherri
  • OrkaneOrkane
    edited August 11, 2018
    It's a tedious task that doesn't need to exist. Frequently taking time out to clean up after my doll bags and fishing isn't exactly my idea of fun hence the mess that is my inventory.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    I find it very satisfying to organize my stuff in bags. It's sometimes relaxing as well.
    BronzebreakAlexisEUKensamaofmariRudeCrow
  • SebastianSebastian
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,870
    Greta wrote: »
    I find it very satisfying to organize my stuff in bags. It's sometimes relaxing as well.
    Yeah, but this is about finding smol bean items which has gotten pretty difficult for me lately. My eyes are bad enough Nexon, pls
    SyrusMarufuji
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Oof it needs organized really badly though, I'd recommend that for sure-- oh wait everyone else does too xD
    GretaAlshian
  • YokkaichiYokkaichi
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145
    There's a search function. It highlights the items in your inventory. Also, you need to organize...yikes...
    Greta
  • SplatulatedSplatulated
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,930
    Yokkaichi wrote: »
    There's a search function. It highlights the items in your inventory. Also, you need to organize...yikes...

i couldnt find anything highlighted except a health potion

i didnt eventually find the board by searching for it manually took about 3 minutes
  • OrkaneOrkane
    Yokkaichi wrote: »

I know that. A major point of this thread is that that very function is not a good solution to a problem that only exists because devCat have stuck to a design decision made a decade and a half ago while moving away from the reasons that decision made sense back then.

As I said in my original post, that second screenshot shows the search function in use and it's currently highlighting a Melodic Metal Board. It's still a pain to find in spite of this.
  • nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,870
    What about changing the search feature to have it darken out everything other than what you're searching for instead?
    YokkaichiBronzebreakPlatinaKokiRudeCrowTakunshoAlexLightBerryswirlKitini
  • TakunshoTakunsho
    Mabinogi Rep: 660
    I agree with nomigid, better highlighting would be the fix for this. Darken out things that aren't valid and maybe make it flash for a second or two
    Yokkaichi
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    edited February 8, 2019
    Some suggestions to help the inventory problem.

Bag stuff:

1. Please name the bag window with the bag item's actual name, like Moonlight Hammer Ferghus Doll Bag instead of just Bag. Cut the name short if it's too long, but anything is better than 7 windows all named Bag.

2. Don't hide the bag's item type preference icons when it gets minimized.

3. Option to add nickname to bag window, like "Gems" or "Sell".

x2RLRK9.jpg

4. Option to add color to a bag window, with bag item's dye color as one of the options. (This idea is half-baked, what part should get colored? title bar and border, interior grid?)

5. More fine-grained bag preference options or more powerful rules for bag preference. Either have more item types in the bag options menu OR allow custom rules like: ALL weapons EXCEPT blunt weapons with 0 durability. Auction House already has very powerful categories and filters. We could use those for bags.

kdvSY1K.jpg

6. Allow some way to re-order bag hierarchy, meaning which bag window gets shown on top and where items go first when there are no preferences set. The simplest solution is to follow the order of the bags in your main inventory (first use the bag in the top left, all the way down to the bag in the bottom right).

Misc interface stuff:

1. Stop with the endless popup windows that tell us we received items. Option to move this information to a scrolling text log somewhere.

2. Some way, somehow, let us combine/stack items that are functionally equivalent yet separate items. This mostly applies to items that have ran out of allowable trades. When these items reach 0 trades left, please just turn them into the event/non-tradeable version. Example, Combat 2x EXP Potion (10 minutes) are stackable. There are event and non-event versions of this potion. When the non-event version runs out of trades, it ends up being the exact same item as the event version but the two stacks can't stack together.

3. Not too important, but let us dye leather/cloth/silk pouches. It would help with organizing.
    BronzebreakTakunshoLeineiKensamaofmariAlexLightDragoolfire
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    I get around this problem by actually organizing my inv and setting things up so I can easily keep and reject items that enter it. First I keep the screen clutter by moving items that I don't use often into a bag together, then minimize the bag (I just minimize the bag rather than outright close it). I also keep a bag specifically for holding materials, I have a rule to never put materials anywhere else besides on pets (That's an entirely different beast so lets just leave that issue for another topic). I also keep items separated in categories (buff items, food, potions) and refill them when I need to. As for any remaining bags, I tag all of them with "ancient book" except one, generally the largest bag I have, this ensures that all new items will go to this bag first if the stack isn't anywhere else, or the stack is full. Since I have another empty bag, I use that as a "keep this" bag. Anything I don't want is then flushed out when I empty the bag. As practice I always keep my "trash" bag empty. Anything extra that breaks the confines of my system are moved to pets (that I've recently finally started organizing) and for usable items I simply move them from my pets when my supplies are depleted. Thanks to this I always know what I have on me, if it's not in a specific bag I've assigned, I'm confident that I don't have such an item. It also lets me throw out items that I don't want while making it easy for me to keep items I do want. So yeah, a little organization makes a world of difference.
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    My inventory makes the average hoarder look normal.
    Lialin
  • GretaGreta
    edited August 14, 2018
    How bag looks like when you are obsessed organizer and perfectionist. I get extremely anxious when i see a mess and it's painful for me when bags are not organized at all. I can't look at my boyfriends bag because it is a hot mess in there, everything he leaves in his bags are so randomly placed and i just can't... I feel slightly annoyed every time :x

4wJhxhp.png

First large 10x10 bag is a bag that i use frequently for events/dailies and such, so it's always slightly messy and stuff constantly gets moved in/out from there. 11x11 right next to it is personal shop bag that i'm currently using for selling items, but it's usually a bag for random items too which i frequently use as well when i'm not selling stuff in there. Half of these bags that i don't use often are closed by the way. This is why you need to organize inventory so you make sure that you won't need too much opened bags on your screen since in certain situations, like in combat, it won't disturb you and will definitely find stuff easier when you know what is what and where it is.

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Dream bag takes up way too much space, but I can't help it that I'm a lazy organizer and hoard music scores.
    With a little bit of cleaning on a day with no events, maybe I can create more space and empty my overfilled mailbox...
    A little cleaning can create lots of space, just like cleaning irl.
    4wJhxhp.png

I'm looking for duplicate items in this picture. What are the biggest offenders of wasted space?

- Music Scrolls
    - Passes
    - Recovery Potions
    - Money Containers
    - Gems

And for me, personally, the biggest offenders are

- Old event rewards
    - Gear, either for being able to use skills from different talents or because they have enchants on them.
  • GretaGreta
    edited August 14, 2018
    4wJhxhp.png

I'm looking for duplicate items in this picture. What are the biggest offenders of wasted space?

- Music Scrolls
    - Passes
    - Recovery Potions
    - Money Containers
    - Gems

- Old event rewards
    - Gear, either for being able to use skills from different talents or because they have enchants on them.

Most passes can't be put in pets, so yeah... They gotta sit in bags. Some event potions too. Gems are being thrown away most of the time, only keeping Diamonds now and i'm selling them at this moment in personal shop. Money Containers are useful since there's a chance for having less fees when buying/repairing items by using gold directly from your bags, also don't need to empty gold in Bank so often. Also Recovery stuff never hurts to have with, because you never know when will i need it. Music Scrolls are a meh to me now because it's a Bard's Bag, which means that bag can only hold all instruments and music scrolls and it's nice when you want to quickly pull out an instrument and play a song while feeling bored or just waiting.
    4wJhxhp.png

- Music Scrolls
    - Passes
    - Recovery Potions
    - Money Containers
    - Gems

- Old event rewards

Most passes can't be put in pets, so yeah... They gotta sit in bags. Some event potions too. Gems are being thrown away most of the time, only keeping Diamonds now and i'm selling them at this moment in personal shop. Money Containers are useful since there's a chance for having less fees when buying/repairing items by using gold directly from your bags, also don't need to empty gold in Bank so often. Also Recovery stuff never hurts to have with, because you never know when will i need it. Music Scrolls are a meh to me now because it's a Bard's Bag, which means that bag can only hold all instruments and music scrolls and it's nice when you want to quickly pull out an instrument and play a song while feeling bored or just waiting.

It's actually quite organized and most of the items are consumables anyway.
    I'm assuming those are age pots in that one bag that can't be stored in pet or bank?
    Using the soul stream inventory as the warchest is actually genius to me.
    Music scores waste space but there isn't really anything you can do about it. My collection of scores is enough to kill.
    Acorns probably should be stored elsewhere.
    Greta
    edited February 8, 2019
    Bump. I updated my first post above and added helpful pictures.
    Kensamaofmari
    Bump. I updated my first post above and added helpful pictures.

Pictures worth a thousand letters.