Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the May Quality of Life Updates! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91455/may-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-may-9th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

So long Mabination!

Comments

• FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    edited August 24, 2018
    Yes, the wiki could really benefit from more volunteers, but there's not much interest or time to be had to do so, it seems. :( I actually still have projects there I'd like to work on but feel a bit out of reach now.
  • VeylaineVeylaine
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,050
    edited August 24, 2018
    Pan wrote: »
    Mabinogi Wiki should shut down as well seeing how much it lacks in being maintained and updated. Comparing the wiki now and back then, we're seeing a lot of missing things that continue to be missing for months. The information provided just is not holding up anymore like it used to be. With new sites such as mabibase and discord groups to pull information from foreign servers, there really is not a need for the wiki anymore. Same could also be said for Nexon's Mabinogi forum itself. May as well cut the cord and shut the whole game down.

ill continue to fund the wiki through patron, it still has a lot of basic info and I highly doubt you can remember every little tid bit of info to pass on to noobs ( quest lines, how to get certain books for skills and secret shops and much much more. )

I checked the mabibase all it seems to be is just a data base for items and enchants.
    Aava wrote: »
    RRM wrote: »
    Aava wrote: »
    If this is ever going to happen, please post this on the official announcements. Not everyone checks the forums so the results are pretty skewed.
    Well, it was also linked in the unofficial discord server if that helps.
    Not everyone uses Discord either, I myself haven't bothered joining the unofficial discord. Again, if this ever is serious, I still stand that it needs to be posted on the official announcements.

I used discord but not everyone does use it though.

In short it would be nice for them update on things but that shouldn't be a reason for it to shutdown, especially since early to mid-game players rely on it.

• Gaby5011Gaby5011
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,965
    I think the wiki is still useful, even though it lacks some of the new content.
    VeylaineBronzebreakJayy124
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited August 24, 2018
    Gaea wrote: »
    Mabinogi Wiki should shut down as well seeing how much it lacks in being maintained and updated. Comparing the wiki now and back then, we're seeing a lot of missing things that continue to be missing for months. The information provided just is not holding up anymore like it used to be. With new sites such as mabibase and discord groups to pull information from foreign servers, there really is not a need for the wiki anymore. Same could also be said for Nexon's Mabinogi forum itself. May as well cut the cord and shut the whole game down.

That is true. A lot of the new outfits and gears are just not there. And I know the wiki staff would just argue with us and say "Well you could help update the wiki content". You know what I say about that? Something crude and vulgar because I don't have time.

Aren't wikis supposed to be updated by the public?

Only the unofficial and unsponsored wikis have to be updated by the fanbase.
    Games with a high level of moderation to an official wiki often do it to maintain specific ESRB ratings.
    However, a wiki's decline in updates is usually said in omen as an omen itself.
    (Nexon's Gachapon outdated greedy Cash Shop model.)

• CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175

That is true. A lot of the new outfits and gears are just not there. And I know the wiki staff would just argue with us and say "Well you could help update the wiki content". You know what I say about that? Something crude and vulgar because I don't have time.

Aren't wikis supposed to be updated by the public?

Only the unofficial and unsponsored wikis have to be updated by the fanbase.
    Games with a high level of moderation to an official wiki often do it to maintain specific ESRB ratings.
    However, a wiki's decline in updates is usually said in omen as an omen itself.
    (Nexon's Gachapon outdated greedy Cash Shop model.)

Riperonies!
    Helsa
  • PectylPectyl
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,715
    Shutting down the wiki would be the true end to this game, then what? who is going to pass on the info that you need to speak to whatever npc in order to start said quest, Mabinogi is old and outdated, it needs a wiki because not everything in game in terms of skills, items and most importantly quests are obviously laid out for you in a straight line directly to the quest giver or items in question, it would also make it nearly impossible for any new player to get started on this game, and with the declining player base and large groups of afk players, who are they going to ask?

Discord would also make a mess out of things as there is no way to properly communicate to new players, or someone who plays once in a long while that they should join the Mabinogi Discord server in order to get help, there is no ingame pop up or npc that directs you to Discord lol.
    Also the people on the Mabinogi Discord server are not paid, should someone pop in at the wrong time of the day or perhaps someone young asking "how i beat g1 berry dungon" there is nothing preventing other players from trolling or making fun of the young player on some support channel, since it's at the end of the day not work and no one is being paid.

In conclusion, this would probably work in something like World Of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2 or Black Desert Online, new games with relatively grasphable levels of content to make sense of, or games with huge player bases and enough highly dedicated players, Mabinogi and it's community is none of that right now.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited August 26, 2018
    Pectyl wrote: »
    Shutting down the wiki would be the true end to this game, then what? who is going to pass on the info that you need to speak to whatever npc in order to start said quest, Mabinogi is old and outdated, it needs a wiki because not everything in game in terms of skills, items and most importantly quests are obviously laid out for you in a straight line directly to the quest giver or items in question, it would also make it nearly impossible for any new player to get started on this game, and with the declining player base and large groups of afk players, who are they going to ask?

Discord would also make a mess out of things as there is no way to properly communicate to new players, or someone who plays once in a long while that they should join the Mabinogi Discord server in order to get help, there is no ingame pop up or npc that directs you to Discord lol.
    Also the people on the Mabinogi Discord server are not paid, should someone pop in at the wrong time of the day or perhaps someone young asking "how i beat g1 berry dungon" there is nothing preventing other players from trolling or making fun of the young player on some support channel, since it's at the end of the day not work and no one is being paid.

In conclusion, this would probably work in something like World Of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2 or Black Desert Online, new games with relatively grasphable levels of content to make sense of, or games with huge player bases and enough highly dedicated players, Mabinogi and it's community is none of that right now.

- The original point of this game was for the player to discover those skills by talking to the NPC's or uncovering them from combat and going through the gens. It is completely possible to discover all the skills without even looking at the wiki or talking to other players. People have forgotten how to explore games and just want everything spoon fed to them.

- Uh we really don't have those problems on the discord channel. Whenever we do they get muted or booted. For the most part everyone there is quite helpful. If your question is not answered the first time, try again. It happens that sometimes someone didn't notice your question. But really that's the only bad (understandable) thing when the channel is at peak activity.

- "In conclusion" You're not in high school anymore. You don't have to end your statement like that on here lol. But yes this is an older game, way older. We do have highly dedicated players, I consider myself one of many of those players that still reside here. As with ANY game there will eventually be declines in activity and population. This game has an outdated unsupported engine and is a DECADE old. But we're still here and will continue to be for a long time.

KensamaofmariPanHelsa
  • VeylaineVeylaine
    edited August 26, 2018

- The original point of this game was for the player to discover those skills by talking to the NPC's or uncovering them from combat and going through the gens. It is completely possible to discover all the skills without even looking at the wiki or talking to other players. People have forgotten how to explore games and just want everything spoon fed to them.

While that may be true thats not how the game is going anymore, if the 5k nooby support is any indication idk what is. Also the wiki is optional so those who want the feeling of exploration can still do it, mabi is comprised of more players than just the exploring type. Saga II ep 2, Principles of a Pirate , that quest would take considerable amount of time to complete you don't have to search for answers in the wiki and those who thirst for exploration will be sated since the wiki is optional. Lets not forget the locations of price for g2-3 either. ( since price page can link to the timer for both rua and price.)

Though I think they are going overboard in saying it would be true end to the game, giving up before we can even try to rebuild lol.

Ugh...I really wish we had more communication with the owners of that wiki. Mabiworld is an essential tool for such a diverse and complex game. If we lose Mabiworld...it's going to really suck for new players and us.

It would be a HUGE undertaking, and I mean HUMONGOUS, there is just sooooooo much information upon information! Information inception! But I think it's time we do what Vindictus did and start building another more up to date one. That way if it goes down we have an ETA and an explanation. This is BS how we are completely in the dark about this!

You along with others went on a panic on why the wiki was down, not to mention you won the patron drawing twice for NX codes. What changed?

Again im not saying its ok for the wiki to be not to updated like this, but it should not be a reason for it to be shutdown.
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Veylaine wrote: »
    Ugh...I really wish we had more communication with the owners of that wiki. Mabiworld is an essential tool for such a diverse and complex game. If we lose Mabiworld...it's going to really suck for new players and us.

It would be a HUGE undertaking, and I mean HUMONGOUS, there is just sooooooo much information upon information! Information inception! But I think it's time we do what Vindictus did and start building another more up to date one. That way if it goes down we have an ETA and an explanation. This is BS how we are completely in the dark about this!

You along with others went on a panic on why the wiki was down, not to mention you won the patron drawing twice for NX codes. What changed?

Again im not saying its ok for the wiki to be not to updated like this, but it should not be a reason for it to be shutdown.

I smell rigged NX giveaway :trollface:
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855

"In conclusion" You're not in high school anymore. You don't have to end your statement like that on here lol.
    I'm a big proponent of "in conclusion", "finally", "also", "in summary", and "and so on". Makes it easier to read and understand a post. :)
    Pectyl
    edited August 26, 2018
    "In conclusion" You're not in high school anymore. You don't have to end your statement like that on here lol.
    @Gaea no, but it helps!

Also, can't we just copy the entire wiki to somewhere else, why rebuild from scratch?
    PectylPan
  • VeylaineVeylaine
    edited August 26, 2018
    @Gaea no, but it helps!

Also, can't we just copy the entire wiki to somewhere else, why rebuild from scratch?

that could probably work, but I think people mean when it goes down, we probably won't have them saved. So maybe just copy and paste now to avoid that mess I suppose. Since humans really don't like paperwork or at least most don't I think, we're really good at procrastinating. But yeah thats why I think Pectyl was going a bit overboard saying that it would be end of mabi. Since theres ways around the problem before or after it goes down but the wiki is still good to have around unless we have a new replacement underway?
  • PectylPectyl

- Uh we really don't have those problems on the discord channel. Whenever we do they get muted or booted. For the most part everyone there is quite helpful. If your question is not answered the first time, try again. It happens that sometimes someone didn't notice your question. But really that's the only bad (understandable) thing when the channel is at peak activity.

- "In conclusion" You're not in high school anymore. You don't have to end your statement like that on here lol. But yes this is an older game, way older. We do have highly dedicated players, I consider myself one of many of those players that still reside here. As with ANY game there will eventually be declines in activity and population. This game has an outdated unsupported engine and is a DECADE old. But we're still here and will continue to be for a long time.

You and anyone else who avoid the wiki or make as little use of it as possible for reasons are free to do that, i on the other hand know how valuable a wiki for any game really is, nobody is forcing you to use the wiki, but removing it is as backwards of an idea as can be, don't remove the wiki, copy it's content somewhere in case something do happen is a good idea, but don't remove it, there is absolutely no reason to remove it regardless of how outdated it is, it still covers a great deal of content.

As i mentioned above, any new players or someone revisiting the game after a long break ain't going to join a Discord server they never heard of, it's great that there is a Mabinogi related Discord server, but i think we can all agree on that not everyone playing Mabinogi is there.
    Imaizumi
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Well that's your misguided opinion. You might of worded that wrong, but we have a lot of new and returning players who have joined the discord channel. I can assure you of that.
    Helsa
  • PectylPectyl
    Well that's your misguided opinion. You might of worded that wrong, but we have a lot of new and returning players who have joined the discord channel. I can assure you of that.

Why is my opinion misguided? what did i word wrong? you use a lot of "catchy" words but backs none of it up with anything, what would removing the wiki solve? what issue is the wiki creating? you have answered none of this though this whole conversation, yet you keep claiming that by somehow removing the wiki something would change or at least be affected for the better, however you haven't told us what that might be.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn

Why is my opinion misguided? what did i word wrong? you use a lot of "catchy" words but backs none of it up with anything, what would removing the wiki solve? what issue is the wiki creating? you have answered none of this though this whole conversation, yet you keep claiming that by somehow removing the wiki something would change or at least be affected for the better, however you haven't told us what that might be.

I never claimed that. You assumed that. I am just stating the original intention of the game was for exploration and discovery. I do still use the wiki on occasion for certain things. Even if the wiki was the shut down - it would NOT be the end of this game.
    Helsa
  • VeylaineVeylaine
    edited August 26, 2018

I never claimed that. You assumed that. I am just stating the original intention of the game was for exploration and discovery. I do still use the wiki on occasion for certain things. Even if the wiki was the shut down - it would NOT be the end of this game.

Same here I don't think that being outdated is a reason to shut it down like how @Pan suggests since that one site they did mention only had items and enchants ( mabibase) BUT you're jumping to conclusions and its pretty catastrophist to think that shutting it down would be the end of mabinogi @Pectyl .

We can rebuild, or do you really doubt our community?
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Veylaine wrote: »

Same here I don't think that being outdated is a reason to shut it down like how @Pan suggests since that one site they did mention only had items and enchants ( mabibase) BUT you're jumping to conclusions and its pretty catastrophist to think that shutting it down would be the end of mabinogi @Pectyl .

We can rebuild, or do you really doubt our community?

...He really doubts this community lol
    Helsa
    Hey, imagine if they incorporated mabibase into the actual game, in like a window or text command? dang, my wiki visits would be cut down by 80%.
    PanBronzebreak
  • XypixXypix
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,890
    I'm pretty sure trying to figure out how to edit pages in the wiki is a NIGHTMARE...to simply edit a monster's info table you have to edit a separate page that has the template. After editing the already inconsistent template, trying to preview it is impossible because it just gives you a wall of text. It used to be the tables were directly on the pages themself, but I guess they decided to switch to embedding tables instead...it's really backwards in my opinion.

tl;dr the site doesn't seem to be user friendly at all
    THICCthighssavelivesTheOthic