Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Weekly Loc Discussion: (M) and (F) Tags on Items

KatherzKatherz
Mabinogi Rep: 21,640
edited August 29, 2018 in Weekly Loc Discussion Archive
Hello once again, wayfarers of Erinn! Have you been enjoying the Re:ZERO event so far? Seeing those giant beds in town is a real trip, and the outfits are pretty snazzy too!

It got us to thinking about outfits, in fact. Mabinogi has no shortage of fashion that can be mixed and matched, and while with some of them it's apparent whether it's meant to be worn by a male or female character, in many cases, it's not easy to tell at a glance. Some fashion pieces sport the helpful (M) or (F) tag, letting you know for sure whether that perfect-looking piece you saw on the Auction House is something you could wear, but that's not standard across every outfit piece, unfortunately.

But...what if it WAS? Do you think it's a worthwhile endeavor to tag each item in Mabinogi's vast fashion closet with (M) and (F) tags for pieces that are single-gender only? Or do you think it's easy enough to glean the pertinent details from the tooltip already? Share your thoughts with us!

- The Mabinogi Localization Team

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    edited August 29, 2018
    (M) (F) (B) for both genders
    That's all we need.

I also think there can be more sub categories to define specific items, so you don't have to think of the exact item name to type it out. Or just allow us to search based on keyword, although the drop down list right now does help.

I think adding an add to cart or wishlist for AH also helps where you can get notification whether someone else is bidding, whether item is still available and time expiring.
  • TheDumbOneTheDumbOne
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,790
    i never had a problem with what was tagged...anytime i put any full name into AH i never get the counter gender version of the one of searching... that make sense?
    edited August 29, 2018
    TheDumbOne wrote: »
    i never had a problem with what was tagged...anytime i put any full name into AH i never get the counter gender version of the one of searching... that make sense?

So for clothing items that don't have a gender indicator on item itself, you were able to find them without a gender issue?
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    It would be rather helpful to add in (M) and (F) to outfits that don't have them, or to add a (U) to the ones that can be worn by both genders (Unisex), or have no parentheses at all so people know it's Unisex?
    Jazmyn
  • JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    We definitely need a (M) or (F) tag on everything.
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    I mean sure, the only downside is that it can look kind of crowded in the name region.

Though sometimes it'd end up being redundant.
    Though sometimes, it already is.
    One case I can think of is the Grace Shawl Dress, referred to as "Grace Shawl Dress (Womens)" in-game, despite there not being any male version of it. (just yet, I mean).

I'd say maybe only have the tag on things that actually have an opposite-gendered counterpart.
    After all, there's already the "-only" tags on items descriptions.
    Though I guess some items also already have not only Gender Restrictions laid out in their titles, but also Race Restrictions, though this is mostly in the case of Elf-restricted headwears sort of like Floral Fairy Earrings, which have a (Elf/M) version and a (Human, Giant/M) version.

Also, the cases of "Eluned" outfits, the series of outfits that were rereleased under reversed gender restrictions.
    It's a lot easier to tell at a glance if some outfits are male or female-only if they have it literally marked at the end with (F) or (M) rather than having to rely on remembering which restriction the original non-Eluned version is.

So I guess I'd say...
    Yes, if the outfits have opposite-gendered counterparts, at least.
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    edited August 29, 2018
    I think it would be neater to leave sex restriction info in the "item attributes" section and have the item name stand alone without tags. Would this cause any unreasonable confusion? Maybe item restrictions can be shown in the item name only if the player wants to see it, like some sort of interface option that labels everything that is male only as (M) and so on.

If that's not possible then I'd just like (M) or (F) tags whenever an item is male or female, respectively. If it's unisex, then no tag.
    SherriBronzebreak
  • papatuluspapatulus
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,200
    Is there an option to remove gender restrictions on items entirely?
    If it would be a hassle to change it on everything (since.. there's a lot of items out there) then maybe add only on items where there are male and female versions with identical names. Though I'm pretty sure that's already the case for 90% of items like it?
    I wouldn't start removing it from any items that already have the tag though! The aesthetics of the names of the items I'm wearing is way, way down my fashionogi list of priorities (not that I have one, but ykno)
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    BmUcc.png

The inconsistency is more obvious when you see them side-by-side like that.

To be honest, before this I didn't really have a problem with the suits and dresses being unlabelled because it was quite obvious who wore what, but with all the fun crossdressing things coming out it won't be so easy to tell with just the name anymore.
    Might as well label all of them, then they would be helpful and consistent.

Also having all three labels - (F), (M) and (U) - would definitely help when browsing the AH for equipment. The only other thing I'd want is to be able to search by race restrictions :d

Sherri
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    In my honest opinion we should just remove the gender thing all together. If a balding middle aged man character wants to dress up as a pretty frilly magical girl, WE SHOULD LET THEM. Mabi is all about freedom. We should embrace our freaky side.
    SherriDANIartsBronzebreakChaosShadowKensamaofmariNinzerkerRobykyun
  • Sphyra21Sphyra21
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,555
    That's all we need.

I also think there can be more sub categories to define specific items, so you don't have to think of the exact item name to type it out. Or just allow us to search based on keyword, although the drop down list right now does help.

I think adding an add to cart or wishlist for AH also helps where you can get notification whether someone else is bidding, whether item is still available and time expiring.

Actually if youclick on the category, then the sub category, type one word then a space and hit enter it'll show everything with that keyword in its title. For example: If I want to look for gesture cards on the AH I go to Misc>misc> then i type "Gesture " then hit enter, it;ll show all the gesture cards on the board ^^
    Sphyra21 wrote: »
    That's all we need.

Actually if youclick on the category, then the sub category, type one word then a space and hit enter it'll show everything with that keyword in its title. For example: If I want to look for gesture cards on the AH I go to Misc>misc> then i type "Gesture " then hit enter, it;ll show all the gesture cards on the board ^^

I've wondered, what determines an item to be in misc category?
  • YorozuyaYorozuya
    Mabinogi Rep: 775
    I think adding (U) for unisex would be more useful, since most clothes are already obvious in their name or look.

Tho, I rather have the option to remove the gender restrictions. I find so many of the (F) options skimpy, or just less cool looking than the (M) version *glares at Divine Demigod Set*

I would legit pay money to apply a Unisex feature on clothes.
    DANIartsChaosShadow
  • TheDumbOneTheDumbOne
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,790
    edited August 31, 2018
    TheDumbOne wrote: »

So for clothing items that don't have a gender indicator on item itself, you were able to find them without a gender issue?

its hard to say, i just never had the issue ever arise. anytime i ever searched for a outfit i was looking for, AH pre-categorize them individually.
    AH pretty much singles out the item your searching for.
    unless you can search up the full name of the item and get BOTH gender items, then that can cause an issue.

Dl9KtcAU4AAI4vY.jpg

it stink if you searched up the full name of an item, for example: "localization mini skirts" , and got both a mess of female and male localization mini skirts- then purchasing the male counterpart or female counterpart be hard and confusing. (it may be a thing already, i just never searched for an item that would do that)
    And that can be something the Local Team can work on doing.(in my opinion)

• ZeroPantsZeroPants
    Mabinogi Rep: 855
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    In my honest opinion we should just remove the gender thing all together. If a balding middle aged man character wants to dress up as a pretty frilly magical girl, WE SHOULD LET THEM. Mabi is all about freedom. We should embrace our freaky side.

I totally agree, though I feel it's gonna be impossible, since I assume female only clothing and male only clothing, plus race restricted clothing is only made to fit on those specific body-types.

Either way, I also think that some kind of a tag could be very useful, but I was more thinking the actual icons for male, female and unisex to be shown instead of the letters, however that is more of an aesthetic preference. That and, make the name of the equipment that's gender/race restricted show in red when a character can't wear it due to race/gender, it's easier to discern at a glance what can be and what can't be worn that way. Just an idea. I personally can work with the way things are right now just fine, if I am unsure of an items' gender I can always attempt to try it on, which won't work if it's not for my gender. But if we wanna fancy it up, I feel these may definitely make things easier to oversee.
    DANIarts
  • DANIartsDANIarts
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,120
    Honestly, We should just make every outfit a Unisex.
    Mainly because there's this cute male outfit(has no idle) that I wanna wear on my female character, I saw it in the AH but since I'm not a male - never bothered to buy it, but if we can make all outfits Unisex, there would be no need in "Eluned" stuff.
    which would make it easier.
    For example: some people prefer the female bunny parka, while others prefer the male. so it's easier to just make them unisex, especially when the female wants the male bunny parka and vise versa, no need for Eluned.
    Robykyun
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Making all outfits unisex would be a developer thing, not a translation/localisation thing. They would have to make all the clothes fit the opposite models.

Unless you're okay with things like this, which is what we got the last time they made a male outfit "unisex" without changing the actual model (for the record, I am forever grateful they did this lmao):

BoWah.png

If you thought giantesses had a bad case of man-hands before...
    THICCthighssavelivesDANIarts
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    If we remove outfit sex restrictions, then outfit race restrictions are next on the chopping block. After that, age restrictions. It's a brave new world where everyone can wear what they want.
  • DANIartsDANIarts
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,120
    Eralea wrote: »
    Making all outfits unisex would be a developer thing, not a translation/localisation thing. They would have to make all the clothes fit the opposite models.

Unless you're okay with things like this, which is what we got the last time they made a male outfit "unisex" without changing the actual model (for the record, I am forever grateful they did this lmao):

BoWah.png

If you thought giantesses had a bad case of man-hands before...

Honestly I'd be okay with that x'D it's be quite hilarious and awesome.
    But I also know that not everyone will be okay with it, hmm.... Then developers should at least make this outfit a unisex, AT LEAST.
    rgergrger.png
  • JazmynJazmyn
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,595
    edited September 4, 2018
    I'm going to elaborate on why I think we should have tags on all items. For me, it's a simple reason.... I like to search in housing and auction house by (M) or (F) items... If an item doesn't have the tag, it doesn't show... but it still might exist out there. There are sooo many outfits and the dressing room doesn't act as a preview of sorts, so I like to check what's out there and if there's anything I like that I haven't seen before to save up for or hunt around and buy.