Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Plans if the MERGE occurs

Comments

• LeineiLeinei
    Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
    edited January 28, 2019
    Helsa wrote: »
    Leinei wrote: »
    @Zeo It would be good if they do. I know a bunch of peeps that are attached to their names. I mean, if they offer the option, great, but I would love if it wasn't a mandatory change. =3

There's no reason to make it mandetory; don't worry.

@Helsa Hey, in regards to our total server size, are we bigger, on par, or smaller than Korea? I would think that would have some weight in changing how they do things here vs. with Korea's.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    @Zeo It would be good if they do. I know a bunch of peeps that are attached to their names. I mean, if they offer the option, great, but I would love if it wasn't a mandatory change. =3

There's no reason to make it mandetory; don't worry.

@Helsa Hey, in regards to our total server size, are we bigger, on par, or smaller than Korea? I would think that would have some weight in changing how they do things here vs. with Korea's.

I don;t know actually, but it's irrelevant.
  • LeineiLeinei
    edited January 28, 2019
    @Helsa Really? So I guess that would just be potential names to add a server tag to and that's that. Oh! You think the server tag would be invisible for other players leaving it for the player in question to give out their name or you think it would be something people could see when they hold Alt?
  • HelsaHelsa
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    A basic understanding of class structure would help the bulk of you a lot.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming

I would expect that Mabinogi is written as object oriented code. Since it's on PC only, it's likely to be written in c++ and probably using Microsoft's SDK, which is designed for an object oriented approach to coding. I suspect the database is set up the same way, as data objects, but of course lacking any methods.
  • ZeoZeo
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,030
    @Leinei - Hey, I believe that KR population is huge compared to NA, they have like 7 or 8 servers with each server having 20-25 channels if that help you get the basic idea! But of course, Helsa is right that it's irrelevant.
  • LeineiLeinei
    Zeo wrote: »
    @Leinei - Hey, I believe that KR population is huge compared to NA, they have like 7 or 8 servers with each server having 20-25 channels if that help you get the basic idea! But of course, Helsa is right that it's irrelevant.

Yeah, I was kind of wondering if audience size might be a reason for a workaround in terms of names initially. =T
  • HelsaHelsa
    A basic understanding of class structure would help the bulk of you a lot.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming

I would expect that Mabinogi is written as object oriented code. Since it's on PC only, it's likely to be written in c++ and probably using Microsoft's SDK, which is designed for an object oriented approach to coding. I suspect the database is set up the same way, as data objects, but of course lacking any methods.

It is. ~ As you suspect. ~ C++ .. ~ (it's also a required language if you seek employment on the team).

Weeeeeell, if they let me work remotely and have folks who speak English . . . .
    [Deleted User]
  • LeineiLeinei
    edited January 28, 2019
    Yeah, I could see the language barrier being a bear, but our branch seems to communicate with them well. =D

I think a harder time would be had with a non-disclosure, meaning you couldn't talk about anything you were working on. That is probably why we can't get as much info on things as we'd like.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Yeah, I could see the language barrier being a bear, but our branch seems to communicate with them well. =D

I think a harder time would be had with a non-disclosure, meaning you couldn't talk about anything you were working on. That is probably why we can't get as much info on things as we'd like.

Crickey if I was coding for them from home do you think I'd throw all that away for bragging rights? Bah! Find out when it's released! :P
    Note: About KR ` I constantly see people talking about how much faster it is there and how the quality of play is better because of low or no lag. ~ This is because South Korea is super small compared to the USA. I, personally, am 2052 miles from the LA server and I'm only in Wisconsin. ~ South Korea is 7 times smaller than the State of Texas by itself. ~ ~ You can almost throw packets back and forth with your hands (sarcasm).

Mhm, also Mabi NA is basically Mabi (world except the far east). I know folks in Australia and even Bangladesh playing this. And if you are into PvP these things make a difference.
    [Deleted User]
  • ZeoZeo
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,030
    Zeo wrote: »

Yeah, I was kind of wondering if audience size might be a reason for a workaround in terms of names initially. =T

It's very possible for sure! Korea may be smaller in term of size compared to USA, however, Mabinogi is very much a huge thing for them still so it's super populated.
  • LeineiLeinei
    edited January 28, 2019

Crickey if I was coding for them from home do you think I'd throw all that away for bragging rights? Bah! Find out when it's released! :P

No, no, no, not that. I mean like about if they have something in the works for a potential server merge beyond the post with a question mark attached to the phrase. I wonder if that would fall under it as well. =T

Also did you see what I asked about the server tag bit? Would it be visible to other players via Alt or hidden to be given out?
  • HelsaHelsa
    Also did you see what I asked about the server tag bit? Would it be visible to other players via Alt or hidden to be given out?

There's no reason to hide it. With same names you have to have a means to know which one you want to talk to. Probably it would go under alt since NOT alt is kinda full now.

[Deleted User]Leinei
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    edited January 28, 2019
    Inb4 they only merge Ruairi and Tarlach.

They can keep the details, but I just want to know YES or NO. Then we will know whether or not we should try and prepare for this. One thing is for sure...I will be scheduling the next 3 days off.
    Leinei
  • HelsaHelsa
    @Gaea I thought about what you had said earlier in your post before it was edited out, and I think you're right. They will have to just delete all the guild stones rather than move them. If the state of the guild stone (bronze, silver, or gold) is stored in the same way as it's gold and GP, meaning moving the stone retains it's type, then deleting the stone then having the guild leader receive a stone placement coupon upon logging in, would be best for Nexon and for the players. Those stones in unpopular spots will get their spots back, they're unpopular after all, and those in popular spots might not, which would be the case anyway. If the state is not retained then the code would have to be altered so that it is, which is a reasonable thing to have in spite of a server merge.
  • LiberateLiberate
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,360
    edited January 28, 2019
    Note: About KR ` I constantly see people talking about how much faster it is there and how the quality of play is better because of low or no lag. ~ This is because South Korea is super small compared to the USA. I, personally, am 2052 miles from the LA server and I'm only in Wisconsin. ~ South Korea is 7 times smaller than the State of Texas by itself. ~ ~ You can almost throw packets back and forth with your hands (sarcasm).

South Korea also has an extremely efficient internet infrastructure. A thing that the United States still can't wrap their heads around.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    edited January 28, 2019
    For a merge to happen, with respect to guild stone placement, Nexon can handle it in one of two ways: either delete them all, or move some. Deleting them all for Nexon is the easiest to do. It would DRAMATICALLY reduce the actual time it takes to perform the maintenance it's self. But would be the most contentious. Must they delete them all though? I don't think so. The only real problem are stones occupying the same spot. Stones that are uniquely situated need not be affected. So what do they do?
    @Gaea I thought about what you had said earlier in your post before it was edited out, and I think you're right. They will have to just delete all the guild stones rather than move them. If the state of the guild stone (bronze, silver, or gold) is stored in the same way as it's gold and GP, meaning moving the stone retains it's type, then deleting the stone then having the guild leader receive a stone placement coupon upon logging in, would be best for Nexon and for the players. Those stones in unpopular spots will get their spots back, they're unpopular after all, and those in popular spots might not, which would be the case anyway. If the state is not retained then the code would have to be altered so that it is, which is a reasonable thing to have in spite of a server merge.

Guilds like Simply and United will more than likely have to move somewhere else. Most of these guilds are dead anyway. I know there is a fully upgraded guild stone outside of dunbarton next to the housing market board called PRIVATE that has only 1 member - that's going poof for sure. lol.

Honestly I might try and nab some prime real estate guild stone spot on that day, (and then have people rage at me again lol). Then I will sell that spot for 300m or something. Muahahahahaha!

But as far as spots go, perhaps the guilds with upgraded guild stones could be compensated GP and gold. That way when they relocate their stones they can upgrade them again.
  • LiberateLiberate
    edited January 28, 2019
    Liberate wrote: »
    You can almost throw packets back and forth with your hands

South Korea also has an extremely efficient internet infrastructure.

A thing that the United States still can't wrap their heads around.

//facepaw ....

12QpIHx.png

Doesn't matter with the size of the US. South Korea still beats similar sized countries to its own with its averages.
  • LiberateLiberate
    @Liberate ~ I'm just going to assume you're tired, slow, or you think I was born yesterday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol

You were talking about size vs speeds. I'm talking about size vs speeds. You even gave me a size comparison of Korea vs United States. Hong Kong is on the list of #4 fastest network average in the world, on the other hand South Korea is 90 times larger than Hong Kong in scale. By your logic Hong Kong should have the faster speeds, but South Korea still ranks #1.
  • LiberateLiberate
    Liberate wrote: »
    @Liberate ~ I'm just going to assume you're tired, slow, or you think I was born yesterday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol

You were talking about size vs speeds. I'm talking about size vs speeds. You even gave me a size comparison of Korea vs United States. Hong Kong is on the list of #4 fastest network average in the world, on the other hand South Korea is 90 times larger than Hong Kong in scale. By your logic Hong Kong should have the faster speeds, but South Korea still ranks #1.

Size (distance between two points / and size of unfragmented packets) has/have everything to do with Speed.

~ They're Rank #1 because you can almost throw the packets back and forth by hand. ~

Then why isn't Hong Kong #1?
  • LiberateLiberate
    Why isn't the Cayman Islands #1 :grey_question:

I can play your game too, Liberate. ~ :mrgreen:

Not playing a game, just stating that it's not about the size, but the infrastructure that also matters.

2mchksx.png

2qkt9wy.png