Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Cethlenn

LeineiLeinei
Mabinogi Rep: 16,440
in Story Discussion
I had a number of random thoughts in regard to our new Elf villain... wait, is he the first Elf villain we've ever had? Have we ever had a Giant villain? (Orcs don't count)

Bleh, well back to what I was talking about. Cethlenn pops up, apparently having been abducted and locked away in some hideout when he's discovered by his new friends. Could this have happened around the same time Ascon was abducted by pirates? If so, were they taken to the same location? Could they have known one another?

Finally, where was Cethlenn abducted from? Filia sounds like the most likely answer as Belvast hadn't really been made safe for citizens until Owen ousted the pirates and Andras seems like the first Elf sent Uladh-side, hence her treatment as being thought as a Fomor. If he was taken from Filia, and this was around the same time as Ascon, we're expecting Cethlenn to be in his mid-late fifties, early-mid sixties tops. Does he even remember Filia? What would happen if his schemes brought him that way and he wound up in Filia? How would the people react to his ear (Maike and he are so far the only Elves with obvious injuries)?

Dang, now I'm wondering if we'll get the option to have cut ears in the future... -_-

Anyway, thoughts on the matter?

Comments

• GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    My only desire is to help him make his other ear match. Preferably with a rusty knife that requires several solid minutes of sawing to accomplish.
    NomnomnomsSpkr
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Some people may think of Castnea and Maike as villians in their efforts to protect their race.
    But if you're looking at a true villian for all peoples, maybe yes.
  • LeineiLeinei
    Some people may think of Castnea and Maike as villians in their efforts to protect their race.
    But if you're looking at a true villian for all peoples, maybe yes.

We don't know what Maike knows in regard to the part about the Elves (he's never been revealed to have been aligned with the Oblivious Elves). It has never been officially confirmed unless Castanea out and told everyone when the Memory Tower was toppled. So, while I get that he's the head of the Castanea Royal Guard, it is possible that he doesn't know. After all, what if what was afflicting we Milletians in Saga could have triggered a transformation in the Elves? I imagine if he knew about the Elves becoming Ghosts thing, he would have gladly let the Giants handle us instead of putting his subordinates at any sort of risk. Seriously, we were turning into MONSTERS. From his dialogue (especially where he gives the order that no one is allowed to die), he greatly values his soldiers and his people. From that mindset, I don't think he knows. Maike at least treated us fairly when we lost our Charm and we were again at risk of transforming into a monster. He talked it out with us and promised that we'd be treated well. That's not villain talk. Villain talk could have been threatening to lock us in Longa Dungeon like Castanea did (which if he had would be proof that he's been in on her workings) or worse.

As for Castanea, I don't like her period. She's trying to protect the people's happiness, which is great, but at the expense of people not being prepared for its potential happening. When she notices it about to happen, she basically has that person taken away from the city and probably tweaked everyone's memory after with the Memory Tower. She also sent her and Hagel's daughter (Andras) to Uladh so she wouldn't be under the power of the tower, leading to the girl being thought a Fomor and tormented throughout her life. I doubt many know about that either as the people of Filia would probably be trying to do the same she did. She also was willing to let us be locked away until we DIED probably of starvation or dehydration (or until we rebirth provided we not be stuck until death), only to be saved by Hagel. Were we to have the agency to, I could see this causing trouble for her people. Like, seriously, one angry and powerful Milletian plus a Meteor Strike? Honestly, it would be poetic if Castanea were to become a Ghost for what she's done to her own people.
    Well not that I'm saying that they are villains, but they take actions that make them not as likable for the welfare of their people. Outsiders may find that villainous in a way.

Castnea's actions I believe are a result of mistrust for outsiders after the events happening prior with the conflict with giants and the curse following.

She became the overprotective elder for the elves to the point it had a negative effect on them.

That said, the giants are kind of similar, but not to the extent.
  • LeineiLeinei
    Yeah, Maike's a grumpy dude who's a little quick to threaten, but I can't imagine I'd be Captain Friendship if I lost everyone I cared for in my life to the Giants. Plus, those bags under his eyes say he doesn't get like any sleep. I could see him take one look at Cethlenn and go "Mama Ostrich Maike" (you guys know what image I'm talking about, but I can't find it =T) on him, demanding to know who cut his ear and threatening hellfire and the like to the perpetrators, while at the same time being the most hospitable person to him. Would be insane if they actually knew either once upon a time. XD

Now, here's a fun idea to play with. What if Elves were thinking of trying to befriend the Giants sooner, but Castanea kept the feud going with the Memory Tower manipulation? I mean, we all know she didn't like the idea of Atrata in general. She might have known about her befriending Taunes.

It may be that because she discovered that Atrata had assisted Taunes during the middle of the war that she had her shunned and came up with how black haired elves are no good.

In the heat of a conflict, aiding an enemy who can fight you tomorrow is at times a no no.

I think it would be difficult for Castnea to keep the memory tower after the interventions from the Milletians exposing them more to the outside world and with the discovery of the resources in Shyllien, it was inevitable that they would become a continental power (if other powers are said to exist) along with the Giant's discovery of Hillwen. The Memory Tower would drag them down and make them inferior to the giants. Plus, it's useless after the curse was broken. There's no way to stop these 2 nations from dominating the continent if they so wished to.

Now here's the thing, if the curse is broken, shouldn't more normal climates return to both Filia and Vales? We have seen the appearance of an oasis in connous, but that's about it other than people's homesteads.
  • LeineiLeinei
    edited February 21, 2019
    The regional curse was broken. I remember Castanea saying Ghosts were still a problem.

Also, the Black-Haired Elf thing I feel stemmed from something else (Dian Cecht) as if this was meant to be a thing against Atrata, then Yvona wouldn't have been tormented. If Castanea did what you said and decided to let all Black Haired Elves suffer to teach Atrata a lesson then she's a totally horrible monster and deserves to be usurped.

In addition to that, Atrata is a healer. It probably went against her moral code to leave anyone suffering even if they were the Giants. We've seen this before in other mediums like the Rockbells in Full Metal Alchemist. They helped everyone and wound up being killed. Castanea could have used that politically if that happened to Atrata and called the Elves to arms with a renewed fury.

The Memory Tower was destroyed because it no longer did was it was supposed to post Saga. Castanea lost her toy to mess with her people's heads. She literally can't do anything about it now, but play damage control like a normal leader and deal with the consequences.

Thing about the regional curse is that it's probably healing at a slower rate. If things went from zero to beautiful, there could potentially be a lot of land damage. Though, I agree, more progress should have occurred by now I feel. But, realistically, if you suddenly turned a freezing climate to a temperate one, you'd be dealing with some issues especially with trees involved.

I wish we knew more about the Oblivious Elves that Castanea is the leader of as well. All we know is that they're kind of a secret society.

If Cethlenn winds up in Filia, I'm curious to how he'd react to things there. =T
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    The thing is that it wasn't just the curses that were broken post saga. The seals on some dangerous things have also been weakened. Metus for one is leaking ghosts, the dragons are also passing through the barriers, and who knows what else ancient evil is sealed in Iria.

Plus if you look at it from the leader's perspective, its easier to distract the populace with an identifiable enemy and keep everyone's focus away from their real issues and mortality. The elves will eventually lose their memories and forget their loved ones who are doomed to wander the desert as a wraith in perpetual pain. The giants live in an unforgiving tundra where resources are scarce. There's also the fact that that wars they waged on each other are "recent" as in still within the lives of the people still living there. There are people that refuse to let go of that grudge.

But back on our little half ear elf boy. I doubt he'd want anything to do with Filia besides burn it to the ground.
    Ok, the curse is broken, yet there are still lost elves in the desert? That's one thing I won't understand.
    Leinei
  • BlissfulkillBlissfulkill
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,425
    edited February 21, 2019
    Ok, the curse is broken, yet there are still lost elves in the desert? That's one thing I won't understand.

We just have a really bad sense of direction. I once got lost in a walk in closet. :/
    Kensamaofmari
  • LeineiLeinei
    Yeah, see that's another issue with the current Elf lore. If the memory thing was related to the curse, why are there still Lost Elves? Why are there Ghosts? =(
    Kensamaofmari

We just have a really bad sense of direction. I once got lost in a walk in closet. :/

Well, the dressing room is like a jungle.
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Also after scouring other mabi version for info, I have found that automatic google translate sometimes translates his name to "Kyle", I therefore petition him to be called Kyle from now on.
  • LeineiLeinei
    GTCvActium wrote: »
    Also after scouring other mabi version for info, I have found that automatic google translate sometimes translates his name to "Kyle", I therefore petition him to be called Kyle from now on.

One of the older ghosts from the Little Ghost event was named Kyle. I don't think they'll leave it alone so as to avoid confusion.
  • BlueblytheBlueblythe
    Mabinogi Rep: 840
    Main thing about Castanea's villainy was that it was something that originally stemmed from good intentions. And it's why I did like her (despite getting locked up and getting salty over it) because she was pretty subtle. Cethlenn probably has more character growth in the future but other than that, he's at a Millia-level of fondness right now (in the negatives).