Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

More updates

ShadesknightShadesknight
Mabinogi Rep: 450
in Feedback and Suggestions
Hunger should not be restored when leveling up and making food expire. This simple change could cause a huge difference. The game would be more realistic and seem more like an actually adventure. People would have to buy food more or make it. This would cause the cooking skill to be used more and people could have more to sell. If you get hunger in a long dungeon you could always take a break, make a campfire, and share some food. This would cause people to spend more time together. Interaction is important for a human being and we may not be able to make them interact offline but if there were harder and longer dungeons people would want a group to make it easier. If food is more important then the economy would make more money and have more to sell. If the food was to expire after a certain time(Not all foods) then people would have to constantly make and buy food instead of making or buying a lot and just going on with their daily afk life. If they eat expired food it gives less hunger restoration and a chance of food poisoning which goes away after time or cured with potions from potion making. This would cause the game to be more adventure rpg like and make people more active. If Nexon wants more money they could sell extremely good food items such nonfood expiration seasoning, 100% food restore pot, or even high grade foods and cooking tools. If you agree then please say so and if you don't then just ignore this.
THICCthighssavelivesKensamaofmari

Comments

• DraechDraech
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,390
    I agree with having hunger not restoring on Level Up. On the other hand, hunger would have to be more forgiving for newer players, because they easily wind up without any stamina, and leveling up is their chance at getting a "second wind." I also agree with the roleplaying aspects of food and hunger, but I'd want to see some changes alongside that.

I'm against the idea of having food expire. First of all, it's needlessly stressful, and second, it devaluates food items by a whole lot. Some aren't easy to come by, so it'd be a shame to have it spoil before finishing the dungeon (remember that many food items require Ingredient Hunting, as they cannot be purchased from NPCs). Also, I've got a bag dedicated to food in my inventory; I like to keep it filled with some nice stuff, not just non-expiring crackers or something.

What I'd like to see, however, is for food to no longer affect body weight (or at least, not all food and not at the current rate). While it's true that food affecting body weight is realistic, it isn't the one thing that affects it most in real life: a dynamic lifestyle. Moreover, I'd like to see Freshness introduced as a new mechanic; the fresher the item, the bigger the food bonus and hunger relieved. After a certain time, the Freshness bonus expires, and your item gives regular stats.

All in all, you're right: food needs to be more important than just a Catering buff.
    Shadesknight
  • MaiaMaia
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,195
    Hunger being a thing would be cool. It would make stamina matter slightly more considering most endgame players never run out of stamina with 3k+ stam, hunger would cut it in half if not monitored
    ShadesknightQuantiumtech
  • ShadesknightShadesknight
    Draech wrote: »
    I agree with having hunger not restoring on Level Up. On the other hand, hunger would have to be more forgiving for newer players, because they easily wind up without any stamina, and leveling up is their chance at getting a "second wind." I also agree with the roleplaying aspects of food and hunger, but I'd want to see some changes alongside that.

I'm against the idea of having food expire. First of all, it's needlessly stressful, and second, it devaluates food items by a whole lot. Some aren't easy to come by, so it'd be a shame to have it spoil before finishing the dungeon (remember that many food items require Ingredient Hunting, as they cannot be purchased from NPCs). Also, I've got a bag dedicated to food in my inventory; I like to keep it filled with some nice stuff, not just non-expiring crackers or something.

What I'd like to see, however, is for food to no longer affect body weight (or at least, not all food and not at the current rate). While it's true that food affecting body weight is realistic, it isn't the one thing that affects it most in real life: a dynamic lifestyle. Moreover, I'd like to see Freshness introduced as a new mechanic; the fresher the item, the bigger the food bonus and hunger relieved. After a certain time, the Freshness bonus expires, and your item gives regular stats.

All in all, you're right: food needs to be more important than just a Catering buff.

Yes I see what you're saying. I'm not saying that food expires fast but at a rate of over a week or so and honestly a lot of items wouldn't expire until quite some times. Ingredients in real life would last quite a while and a week in real life is a year in game. There should be storing by canning or putting salt on meat to make it last longer. And the freshness idea is great. I'm glad you agree with some of the aspects of my idea. And also I never said food should not be restored when rebirth. When you rebirth you should have food restored because you are renewed and therefore it would be easier for new players because they can rebirth everyday, there is your solution for new players and food.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Adding more realism can make a game more interesting but it also has to make it more fun or else it should not be added. Some things might seem like they'd be cool when you imagine them but you have to play them to fully appreciate if they are beneficial to enjoyable game play. I've played P&P FRP's where the DM has tried taking into account food, hunger, and spoilage. Inevitably, everyone kvetches about it and agrees to get rid of it. In this case the present mechanic where lack of eating just means a limit to stamina rather than outright killing you I think is okay. I think making food and ingredients spoil, overall, will not be well received. I do agree that making food more beneficial, in some way, is not a bad idea, but it has to be in a way that won't make the game suck. So in this case food should be a means to add positives rather than eliminating negatives. Make it so ignoring it means shutting you out from benefits rather than inflicting punishment. This is kinda what we have now, so perhaps just boosting the benefits of eating food by even more would do the trick.
    Helsa wrote: »
    Adding more realism can make a game more interesting but it also has to make it more fun or else it should not be added. Some things might seem like they'd be cool when you imagine them but you have to play them to fully appreciate if they are beneficial to enjoyable game play. I've played P&P FRP's where the DM has tried taking into account food, hunger, and spoilage. Inevitably, everyone kvetches about it and agrees to get rid of it. In this case the present mechanic where lack of eating just means a limit to stamina rather than outright killing you I think is okay. I think making food and ingredients spoil, overall, will not be well received. I do agree that making food more beneficial, in some way, is not a bad idea, but it has to be in a way that won't make the game suck. So in this case food should be a means to add positives rather than eliminating negatives. Make it so ignoring it means shutting you out from benefits rather than inflicting punishment. This is kinda what we have now, so perhaps just boosting the benefits of eating food by even more would do the trick.

I see what your saying and yes the negative effects would suck but honestly food is so cheap it wouldn't matter too much it would just add a little more realism.
  • DraechDraech
    edited March 1, 2019
    Yes I see what you're saying. I'm not saying that food expires fast but at a rate of over a week or so and honestly a lot of items wouldn't expire until quite some times. Ingredients in real life would last quite a while and a week in real life is a year in game. There should be storing by canning or putting salt on meat to make it last longer. And the freshness idea is great. I'm glad you agree with some of the aspects of my idea. And also I never said food should not be restored when rebirth. When you rebirth you should have food restored because you are renewed and therefore it would be easier for new players because they can rebirth everyday, there is your solution for new players and food.

Unfortunately, rebirthing won't solve the issue for new players, because it will still affect a new player if they play for a few hours each day. The problem lies in the fact that whatever hunger they gain handicaps them far more than anyone over Cumulative Level 1,000. Since hunger's effects appear rather fast, they'd have to carry excessive amounts of food on them at all times. Moreover, their weakness means they'll take longer completing a dungeon, thus requiring more food to make it to the end. Ultimately, they'd have no room to spare, and considering they already don't have any, it just becomes unfeasible.

Maybe something more appropriate for low-level characters would be to soft-cap hunger to 75% (i.e. reducing max stamina by 25%) for any player under cumulative level 1,000, which wouldn't be game-breaking.
  • DraechDraech
    edited March 1, 2019

Simplicity is the key to any good game mechanic. Having played both Dungeons & Dragons 3rd edition (D&D 3e) and 5th edition (D&D 5e), I can say that 3e's excessive amounts of rules ruin not only the rhythm and the fun, but also any chance at compatibility with new content. Regarding Mabi, there's already too many things to take into account for a whole new set of food mechanics to be enjoyable. Moreover, Mabi doesn't have to be realistic - we all know real life can be stressful, and there's no need to simulate this stress in an online fantasy game.

One other thing to note about simplicity is the Occam's Razor principle (in which the easiest path to take is the one most probable to be taken) : if Nexon is given the choice between adding a whole slew of game mechanics for food, or adding streamlined rules (by this, I mean rules that require no exceptions or adjustments), they'll go for the latter.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    I think expanding on hunger and making food expire is a good thing. It will allow players to make more realistic decisions and food is easy to obtain and affordable, so there shouldn't be a problem with that.

Where we do run into problems would be for people that afk, people like having the luxury to afk and not face penalties. Unless there's a different mode where players can afk in, they will be unhappy.

Then there's storage. Storage of food and food materials should not have spoilage effects, because sometimes certain ingredients or food items are difficult to obtain, and sometimes they want to be kept for later. Also, food should not spoil if being sold in a shop or kiosk because it will become very costly if food spoiled while awaiting a buyer.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    I think expanding on hunger and making food expire is a good thing. It will allow players to make more realistic decisions and food is easy to obtain and affordable, so there shouldn't be a problem with that.

Where we do run into problems would be for people that afk, people like having the luxury to afk and not face penalties. Unless there's a different mode where players can afk in, they will be unhappy.

Then there's storage. Storage of food and food materials should not have spoilage effects, because sometimes certain ingredients or food items are difficult to obtain, and sometimes they want to be kept for later. Also, food should not spoil if being sold in a shop or kiosk because it will become very costly if food spoiled while awaiting a buyer.

office-space-come-in-on-saturday-meme-download-quotes-i-gonna-need-you-to.jpg

Anything that punishes AFKing I can't see as being good or even neutral for the long term health of this game.
    Darkpixie99Crimsọn
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
    edited March 1, 2019
    Make crafting more relevant, gachapons are confirmed to be illegal by Belgium.
    Selling high quality gear or reforges at a gamble is unfair use of the RNG system, and favors the house. (Nexon.)
    Make new recipes for all the crafting skills, and add in multiple new uses for each material.
    This will boost the crafting economy, and motivate players to actually pick items up.

Anything that punishes AFKing I can't see as being good or even neutral for the long term health of this game.
    Actually, new updates and improvements to the hunger system will encourage chefs to sell thier products.
    It'll also kill the bots nice and quick. +More active players for newbies to actually like the game.

• CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175

It's bad enough when we have to deal with durability.
    Darkpixie99
  • EraleaEralea
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,890
    Oh yes everyone loves having more expiring items

I'm sure the few hundred people who wail about every event having expiring rewards would love the idea of food spoiling. 10/10
    Draech wrote: »

Unfortunately, rebirthing won't solve the issue for new players, because it will still affect a new player if they play for a few hours each day. The problem lies in the fact that whatever hunger they gain handicaps them far more than anyone over Cumulative Level 1,000. Since hunger's effects appear rather fast, they'd have to carry excessive amounts of food on them at all times. Moreover, their weakness means they'll take longer completing a dungeon, thus requiring more food to make it to the end. Ultimately, they'd have no room to spare, and considering they already don't have any, it just becomes unfeasible.

Maybe something more appropriate for low-level characters would be to soft-cap hunger to 75% (i.e. reducing max stamina by 25%) for any player under cumulative level 1,000, which wouldn't be game-breaking.

You must have forgotten about the Memoirs

To answer the problem with storage, items obtained with an extremely low rate or obtained by ingredient hunting should last a real life 6 months.
    Kensamaofmari
    Make crafting more relevant, gachapons are confirmed to be illegal by Belgium.
    Selling high quality gear or reforges at a gamble is unfair use of the RNG system, and favors the house. (Nexon.)
    Make new recipes for all the crafting skills, and add in multiple new uses for each material.
    This will boost the crafting economy, and motivate players to actually pick items up.

Actually, new updates and improvements to the hunger system will encourage chefs to sell thier products.
    It'll also kill the bots nice and quick. +More active players for newbies to actually like the game.

You're thinking ahead. I like that.
    To all of you that complain about items expiring and afk people being punished. Games are meant to be played. Also hunger is only allowed to go down to 50%. If people afk the most they will go down is 50% and they can get that up quite a bit because if you are afk then the chances are you will get afk rewards from an event therefore food will be extremely cheap. You complain about items expiring but I'm not talking about expiring in a flipping hour. Food should have a freshness effect and should spoil. Spoil does not mean you should not eat it . It means you can get sick from it. If the game were to add food poisoning then chances are there is a cure from potion making, the time for the effect is low, or eating fresh food depletes it faster.
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    edited March 2, 2019
    ^ I like the idea of a "freshness" bonus. To keep things simple, just add a Fresh tag on all perishable food for the first 24 hours after it is bought/harvested/made. Ingredients with a Fresh tag will get a cooking bonus. Items that are no longer fresh are still good and usable, they just don't get that extra bonus. This will encourage chefs to gather all their ingredients on the day of their meal preparation. Why? I dunno, just for fun and realism.

You could even have some items get better with age, like fresh cheese turning into dry cheese.

There's potential for a great idea here. The gist of it: Grow ingredients on our homestead. If spoilage is implemented: Cure, age, and smoke foods so they are preserved forever.
    ^ I like the idea of a "freshness" bonus. To keep things simple, just add a Fresh tag on all perishable food for the first 24 hours after it is bought/harvested/made. Ingredients with a Fresh tag will get a cooking bonus. Items that are no longer fresh are still good and usable, they just don't get that extra bonus. This will encourage chefs to gather all their ingredients on the day of their meal preparation. Why? I dunno, just for fun and realism.

You could even have some items get better with age, like fresh cheese turning into dry cheese.

There's potential for a great idea here. The gist of it: Grow ingredients on our homestead. If spoilage is implemented: Cure, age, and smoke foods so they are preserved forever.

I like your ideas and I totally agree with them all.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Well, I mean you can consume spoiled/moldy food, but you could get your stomach bad problems.
    Hey, that should give us a passive in poison resistance!
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    No way. Nope. No expiring items please.