Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

More updates

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    ^ I like the idea of a "freshness" bonus. To keep things simple, just add a Fresh tag on all perishable food for the first 24 hours after it is bought/harvested/made. Ingredients with a Fresh tag will get a cooking bonus. Items that are no longer fresh are still good and usable, they just don't get that extra bonus. This will encourage chefs to gather all their ingredients on the day of their meal preparation. Why? I dunno, just for fun and realism.

You could even have some items get better with age, like fresh cheese turning into dry cheese.

There's potential for a great idea here. The gist of it: Grow ingredients on our homestead. If spoilage is implemented: Cure, age, and smoke foods so they are preserved forever.

If I read this right "spoiled" means how food stuffs are now; they're still usable as they are now, even when eaten directly, and produce all the same food buffs as we are used to. But while "fresh" they produce food with higher buffs than normal. Lack of timely action just means the loss of potential extra benefits beyond what we are already used to and nothing more. This would be acceptable as it does not punish.

Rosalina
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Greta wrote: »
    No way. Nope. No expiring items please.

For those who have played Kingdom Come Deliverance, they make you eat your meals so you don't starve to death and quality of food does decrease as a perishable. The wording should not use expiring, but rather spoilage. Where the item does not end up "expired" and unusable, it will remain usable, but probably give you some weird status or effect.

Of course, here in Mabinogi, people are not as adventurous to take on more risks than there already are in the game.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    If the game is designed, from the get go, to have negative effects resulting from poor food management as an integral part of it then players can decide whether to proceed with starting to play it or not. If you're gonna start playing "Don't Starve" one will expect some starving to happen, for example. In the case of AD&D since it is a P&P game you can directly alter the game code, as it were, to suit your needs. Adding punishing effects to an online computer game that didn't have it in the first place. after the fact where folks originally joined not expecting it, is unfair. Changing the game so that failure doesn't punish but only removes potential benefits is a workable compromise.
    Helsa wrote: »
    If the game is designed, from the get go, to have negative effects resulting from poor food management as an integral part of it then players can decide whether to proceed with starting to play it or not. If you're gonna start playing "Don't Starve" one will expect some starving to happen, for example. In the case of AD&D since it is a P&P game you can directly alter the game code, as it were, to suit your needs. Adding punishing effects to an online computer game that didn't have it in the first place. after the fact where folks originally joined not expecting it, is unfair. Changing the game so that failure doesn't punish but only removes potential benefits is a workable compromise.

Valid point.
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    Helsa wrote: »

Adding to this, within the lore and explanation is that the players are immortal beings who don't feel the touch of death, from disease, to starvation, to injury, they are practically immune. On the practical gaming side of things, our inventory and play styles do not make survival mechanics at all a good addition to the game. With spoiling food means that players need to keep large swaths of food in their inventory in order to perform upkeep on their characters, meaning less space for potions and other supplies, while a longer playing person will have the inv space to accommodate, a newer player will probably be turned off from these mechanics stressing their inventories from the get go. The next problem will be a break from actual engaging game play. Imagine being in a particularly hard dungeon that takes a fair amount of time, not only are you fighting something difficult, but now you have to deal with penalties from having to consume foods on top of potions, or you know, using skills to defend yourself.

On the topic of game play, Mabi is marketed so the player feels like an anime protag, complete with Mary Sue protections, transformations and a plethora of different combat styles. Introducing survival mechanics instead makes the player feel like they are baby sitting their characters rather than being empowered through them and also boggles them down with the requirement of constantly looking after their characters and micromanaging things. Basically mabi is a game where survival mechanics make a poor addition to, if you actually want to play survival, there are plenty of other games that fill that niche, Mabi is a game were warriors and wizards dive deep into dungeons and volcanoes transform into Gods to beat up a raging demons in a shirtless bear wrestling match.
  • ShadesknightShadesknight
    Mabinogi Rep: 450
    Well, I mean you can consume spoiled/moldy food, but you could get your stomach bad problems.
    Hey, that should give us a passive in poison resistance!

That makes more sense
  • YangKoeteYangKoete
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,175
    I'd love the idea of hunger having more of an apparent role, I just don't want things to spoil. If we did have to deal with spoiling, I'd want to have a new skill to preserve food/expand on pickling and making sausage and jerky more.

That way, you have to actually either;
    1. Rely on cheap foods that aren't exactly filling, but are cheap so hey.
    2. Train chef a little bit to get the easiest foods to make (Up to Rank E or D.)
    3. Buy food from players.
    4. Not eat and suffer the consquences. (Like anyone would.)

What this hunger update can do if they make hunger more apparent;

NPC's who sell food can now have their own niche stock with food from the area. I could see the cafe in Emain Macha getting more food, sure, but also Glenis selling cheap meals like soups and stews and sandwiches.

Food becomes a much more necessary thign and can even help regulate the economy. Think of it this way; If your item doesn't sell, but you see someone else selling it at a cheaper price, logically you'd change the price of the item. That way, the economy gets a big change.

People will sell food more. Kiosks and Market Stalls will be probably become more abundant throughout the channels because people want to make money off of the other player's needs, and the "Shopping channels" aren't always able to house everyone.

My biggest fear is driving new players away. Not everyone enjoys having to constantly eat. But...potentially seeing how all the food buffs you temporarily, that would probably make more people stay. Heck, if they made all the buffs for dishes more rational, you could even make people want to cook more.

Like have Bread give you say, +1 MaxHP and +1 STR. Then you see the Baked Potato give more of a buff and go;"Hey, that looks good for my stats, and it fills me more!" You could very well revamp it so the lower-quality foods/raw ingredients give some sort of buff, while the cooked food has the better buffs all-round. With that, there'd be a better reason to cook or buy food from skilled chefs.
    Rosalina
    As a whole, economy will be a lot more fluid if everyone relied more on player made goods and services instead of gachas, but in the end they need the revenue from sales in the webshop. I want to see them make more effort into balancing the 2.
    Rosalina