Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Faster Character Movement!

NishikiNishiki
Mabinogi Rep: 605
in Feedback and Suggestions
I've been playing for 6 years now and I can't get any of my friends to play. I can get them to sign up and then immediately starts the "Oh...Oh these graphics are awful...how do you play this?" comments and I always convince them that yes the graphics are blocky but they're beautiful in some places and the world is huge and exploreable and the storyline is amazing but they never get past Duncan's newbie quests in Tir because they can't stand how slow the characters move. And the only excuse I can give them is "Um..well.. if you spend real money on a pet you can move faster....or make an elf? They're a TINY bit faster."

I'll admit too, after I log on after playing other online games, it always feels like the game is lagging before I remember that's just how slow the characters move on here. Just a little increase to the movement speed would not only improve the gameplay but help players stay committed it longer without getting literally bored running from house to house. Especially in the tedious G1 quests that just send you back and forth from Kristell and Tarlach.
SpareohWliaPikangie

Comments

• aef8234aef8234
    Mabinogi Rep: 760
    I also like how a lot of very dangerous skills are only slightly faster than base human speed.
    NishikiSpareohDanievictria
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    I thought G1 now gives you feathers to cut down on all the travel. In the meantime, the game does provide a free horse and eagle, which you should be able to get the first day you play the game. Another option is that you can get a dream-catcher and use a transform to run quicker. So for now, until they change it there are ways to cope.
  • NishikiNishiki
    Mabinogi Rep: 605
    aef8234 wrote: »
    I also like how a lot of very dangerous skills are only slightly faster than base human speed.

Yeah, like final hit ^^; That one move made at least Tara castle shadow missions easier.

Helsa, the feathers wear off after like 5-15 minutes depending on how much money you spent on them and I've got the Adventuring talent ranked up to transform up to rank 6 animals but most of the time the dreamcatcher is taking up awkward weapon space in my inventory because there's not much you can do in animal forms except run around and adventuring really isn't a battle option.
    Spareoh
  • NinzerkerNinzerker
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,640
    Wouldn't the distance displacement be even worse than it is now if we were to increase the movement speed?
    I know with a 25ms ping either fighting a grim reaper, or even more frustratingly during g21 finale, an elf can run in a circle around the boss the moment he begins his attack, and still be hit 90° from where the attack is traveling

HITBOXES.gif
    This stuff still happens all the time as it is now!
  • SpareohSpareoh
    Mabinogi Rep: 780
    Ninzerker wrote: »
    Wouldn't the distance displacement be even worse than it is now if we were to increase the movement speed?
    I know with a 25ms ping either fighting a grim reaper, or even more frustratingly during g21 finale, an elf can run in a circle around the boss the moment he begins his attack, and still be hit 90° from where the attack is traveling

HITBOXES.gif

Or would an increased character speed fix the displacement by letting you actually get out of range? I guess it would depend on if they change the enemy speeds too. I'm trying to imagine if fighting Tarlach on that damned beach in Iria Saga would be worse or better but I'm no game designer.
    Pikangie
  • GTCvActiumGTCvActium
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,125
    They should just give humans a sprint action (eats a ton of stam to run at 500% run speed)
    WliaSpareohTHICCthighssavelivesNishikiKensamaofmariDanievictria
  • WliaWlia
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,205
    edited June 6, 2019
    Ninzerker wrote: »

HITBOXES.gif

AHHH that was pain for me to do as human WAY TO SLOOOOW AS SNAILLS why are humans so slow....
    most annoying 20% hp of my life (after the trans it was super fun and easy tho xD)
    Spareoh
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    I give a +1 for that sprint idea.
    WliaSpareohNishiki
  • aef8234aef8234
    Mabinogi Rep: 760
    edited June 7, 2019
    Actually, curbing off the sprint skill idea, why not just rework the ladeca skills? Have all of it be a toggleable instead of a CD skill that increases/adds stam drain to their respective actions, while buffing the sprint skill?

Or alternatively, have the skills be in two parts, a passive, and an active. With the primary limiting factor the cost, and not the cooldown.

Its not like anyone actually uses the celestial body skills that much anyways, too little benefit for an annoying buff to manage or a randomized grab bag of buffs that you have no control over.
    Pikangie
  • PikangiePikangie
    Mabinogi Rep: 960
    Nishiki wrote: »

I agree with you. I feel all races should get a boost in speed, to make the game fun for beginners who do not have pets, as well as people who simply do not want to be so reliant on pets to travel around a town or field. If there is concern about it being too fast in battle, they could just make it only be a faster speed outside of combat (using the same "in-combat" timer that dictates if elves can use Hide).
    Spareoh
  • THICCthighssavelivesTHICCthighssavelives
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,855
    edited June 13, 2019
    Change the default run speed to twice our current run speed BUT add certain terrain that reduces run speed. The towns and dungeons, having paved roads, stone floors, and packed dirt trails, would let new players run fast and free. The areas that reduce our speed would be areas with steep inclines, heavy vegetation, farmland packed with tall crops, areas with snow, sandy dunes, and rocky unstable ground.
    Spareoh
  • Donk3yDonk3y
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,050
    aef8234 wrote: »
    Actually, curbing off the sprint skill idea, why not just rework the ladeca skills? Have all of it be a toggleable instead of a CD skill that increases/adds stam drain to their respective actions, while buffing the sprint skill?

Or alternatively, have the skills be in two parts, a passive, and an active. With the primary limiting factor the cost, and not the cooldown.

Its not like anyone actually uses the celestial body skills that much anyways, too little benefit for an annoying buff to manage or a randomized grab bag of buffs that you have no control over.

Might of Ladeca toggle-able...
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Nishiki wrote: »
    I've been playing for 6 years now and I can't get any of my friends to play. I can get them to sign up and then immediately starts the "Oh...Oh these graphics are awful...how do you play this?" comments and I always convince them that yes the graphics are blocky but they're beautiful in some places and the world is huge and exploreable and the storyline is amazing but they never get past Duncan's newbie quests in Tir because they can't stand how slow the characters move. And the only excuse I can give them is "Um..well.. if you spend real money on a pet you can move faster....or make an elf? They're a TINY bit faster."

I'll admit too, after I log on after playing other online games, it always feels like the game is lagging before I remember that's just how slow the characters move on here. Just a little increase to the movement speed would not only improve the gameplay but help players stay committed it longer without getting literally bored running from house to house. Especially in the tedious G1 quests that just send you back and forth from Kristell and Tarlach.

Good thing you didn't tell them that there's a walk function as well.