Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Name Changes

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Helsa wrote: »
    Greta wrote: »
    Why they are taking so long to add something that already exists in KR?

Nexon are a bunch of weirdos...

My guess is that they want to repair all the fallout from the merge first out of fear that opening the name change gates before that is complete might lead to more work and headaches for us and them.

It's more of they have to listen and do whatever boss wants them to do.
  • SpareohSpareoh
    Mabinogi Rep: 780
    All I know is that they told us to "keep an eye on the main page" for when the name change coupon would be available and that was weeks ago now before the new update. I'm good and tired of the +Mari names. I don't even care about keeping my original name anymore, I just want a normal name again lol
    Kensamaofmari
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Spareoh wrote: »
    All I know is that they told us to "keep an eye on the main page" for when the name change coupon would be available and that was weeks ago now before the new update. I'm good and tired of the +Mari names. I don't even care about keeping my original name anymore, I just want a normal name again lol

All the needed info is posted on announcements.
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    Greta wrote: »
    Why they are taking so long to add something that already exists in KR?

Nexon are a bunch of weirdos...

Its because Nexon NA has no idea what the hell they're doing.

Pan described it best.
    Greta
  • MusicatMusicat
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,320
    edited June 25, 2019
    @Macal007 , the system here is far more complicated than any separate example you gave. Not only is the database involved, but also the executive part. It's as if you're trying to translate ancient Chinese directly into Scandinavian without knowing any european language's grammar (bad example, still an example).

Concerning the name change itself, the main reason people would want it now is to get rid of + in their names. And, since it wasn't their intention, the name change function in any form it is released in should be for free once for such characters. I bet it's been said in this thread already, and also mentioned somewhere in the announcements. I personally am fine with having a + in my name in terms of aesthetics, but it apparently arouses several major problems that we mustn't experience (guilds, notes, etcetc.).
    Of course there are also people who are just tired of their old names, or have unnecessary numbers in their characters' names, or have come up with some new ultra mega super double chocolate fancy with a cherry on top name. Only comparing these two groups of players ("+" and "desire") already makes the name change thing quite tricky.
    Hisahime
  • Macal007Macal007
    Mabinogi Rep: 930
    Musicat wrote: »
    @Macal007 , the system here is far more complicated than any separate example you gave. Not only is the database involved, but also the executive part. It's as if you're trying to translate ancient Chinese directly into Scandinavian without knowing any european language's grammar (bad example, still an example).

Concerning the name change itself, the main reason people would want it now is to get rid of + in their names. And, since it wasn't their intention, the name change function in any form it is released in should be for free once for such characters. I bet it's been said in this thread already, and also mentioned somewhere in the announcements. I personally am fine with having a + in my name in terms of aesthetics, but it apparently arouses several major problems that we mustn't experience (guilds, notes, etcetc.).
    Of course there are also people who are just tired of their old names, or have unnecessary numbers in their characters' names, or have come up with some new ultra mega super double chocolate fancy with a cherry on top name. Only comparing these two groups of players ("+" and "desire") already makes the name change thing quite tricky.

A database with names in it, is database with a name in it. Simple. Not language, no barriers.
    The changing of one field into another can be as simple as I specifified.
    (I been in computers for over 40 years now, and trust me when I say it's THAT simple,
    if you know how.)
    To keep the original reference intact, you can keep the old names, and simply specify a second field.
    Then, when the name is to be put up on screen somewhere, simply reffer to the new field, rather than the old,
    when it contains anything but a termination character.
    (In most cases a CR or simply zero's..)
    And that's all..no Scandinavian or Chinese involved.
    (I used to program stuff like that in mnemonic code)
  • DraechDraech
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,390
    Macal007 wrote: »
    Musicat wrote: »

A database with names in it, is database with a name in it. Simple. Not language, no barriers.
    The changing of one field into another can be as simple as I specifified.
    (I been in computers for over 40 years now, and trust me when I say it's THAT simple,
    if you know how.)
    To keep the original reference intact, you can keep the old names, and simply specify a second field.
    Then, when the name is to be put up on screen somewhere, simply reffer to the new field, rather than the old,
    when it contains anything but a termination character.
    (In most cases a CR or simply zero's..)
    And that's all..no Scandinavian or Chinese involved.
    (I used to program stuff like that in mnemonic code)

Actually, I doubt it would work. Having a seperate display field would 1. require that this field be shown for every naming instance (i.e. for your name above your character, the name used in the dialogue, the name associated with your friends' list/messaging system, and the one for item-binding, to name a few); and 2. would require more than just game coding; it would require, as Musicat pointed out, executive effort (i.e. having a team working on these changes, discussing the implications and more importantly, updating the Admin Tool to allow this new element to work correctly).

While it may be easy to code something in, it doesn't mean it's possible. I doubt Mabinogi's general infrastructure is so flexible that such a change can be considered minor in terms of design. And if it's too complicated, it becomes a waste of effort from the business perspective.
  • Macal007Macal007
    Mabinogi Rep: 930
    edited July 13, 2019
    ok then..
    let's say that an instruction to use a field for anything looks like so:
    "user_name_here"
    and that the instances to display are something like
    write."user_name_here"
    with an exact direct reference towards that field.

Now, in order to use a different field.
    write."user_name_here" => write."secondary_name_field".
    Change all. Presto..one done..

in order for every account to have it the same way.
    Recursive algorithm for each entry in the player database.

The code would stay mostly unaltered, only the references for display.

When a reference towards that ID is mdae for other purposes,
    then the format would be different.

get."user_name_here"

So in those cases the reference would not be changed.
    Only when the name is diplayed.

the database itself, would need to have fields inserted for the new name field.
    At first, the secondary names would be exactly the ones already in the first name field.
    then one can name change, while the original reference stays intact.
    Problem solved..

I'm not gonna explain what a recurive algorithm is..
    if you don't know what that is, then don't discuss on this plz..

It's not about what you want to implement but how easy you can do so, indeed.

In any case, if it were my job, I'd have it coded in by next week, solo.

(Note:I would maybe need another week if the language it's written in is far different
    from what I was used to)