Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Full Server Merge

HelsaHelsa
Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
edited May 21, 2019 in Feedback and Suggestions
The OP of the Server Merge thread would like everyone to stop adding to it and have it be closed. Since, the merge of early June, 2019, was not a full merge, for some the issue continues. There is a thread in General Discussion regarding merging Alexina but this is in response to Alexina not being included in the aforesaid merge, and is not located in the appropriate forum for the goal of this thread. The purpose of this thread is to continue the discussion towards a full-merge, allthewhile respecting the "Server Merge" thread, OP's wishes, while locating it in the appropriate forum.

Let's have a full server merge.
Helsa0151 of Alexina

Let the games begin! :)
KensamaofmariOroshisamaGretaSakura2503SherriBlissfulkill

Comments

• DragoolfireDragoolfire
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,590
    Let us continue to make these threads so no matter when you look at the forums, IT IS ALL ABOUT MERGE!
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited May 21, 2019
    With multiple servers one always grows while the others atrophy. In evolution, I've read, an organism only needs about a 1% advantage over it's competitors to be significant. So it is with servers. It can take the smallest of things to make one a winner. With the original three, we had Mari in first place. Why should that be so? It could've been for something as simple as Mari is cute and nothing more. Then Alexina was introduced. For years it was labeled as "new". That could've easily been the reason it was able to surpass it's older siblings. In each of these cases once a server is known as the one with the biggest population, that will probably attract more folks than repel them. So we will have Nao and Alexina. Nao is already seen as the one with the larger population, it will thrive. Folks that came to Alexina for the population size some will move back; can you blame them. How many from Nao will move to Alexina, probably none. So, in the short-run Nao will grow a little bit and Alexina will shrink. New players will learn that Nao is the larger server, and most will probably go there as they went to Alexina in the past. When it comes to servers there really can be only one.

That morbid scenario aside, I think most folks on both servers would like to be united with their brethren. So come on already; sheesh!
    GretaSherriSakura2503
  • GretaGreta
    Mabinogi Rep: 51,805
    Okay, so my post got removed here and i haven't been informed for what.
    Our Moderators of these forums are the best indeed. The activity is just outstanding too.
  • VusterVuster
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    well it does seem like the natural progression, if the sever merge for nao is successful. when its all done and dusted, bugs are sorted, the economy is a bit chill and so on, it will be easier to bump this merge into a full sever merge. while there will be players moving from alexia to the Nao sever, not all of em will be willing to start all over again....again.
  • HelsaHelsa
    /************************************************************\
    *·DISCLAIMER: since the following post is not made by an employee of··*
    *·Nexon or any of its affiliates or partners, what is contained therein is······*
    *·ultimately speculation. Until Nexon or any of its affiliates or partners·····*
    *·has spoken definitively on the matters to be discussed, do not take them···*
    *·as granted, even if the language used happens to make it seem so.··········*
    \************************************************************/
    Vuster wrote: »
    well it does seem like the natural progression, if the sever merge for nao is successful. when its all done and dusted, bugs are sorted, the economy is a bit chill and so on, it will be easier to bump this merge into a full sever merge. while there will be players moving from alexia to the Nao sever, not all of em will be willing to start all over again....again.

We on Alexina are hoping the-powers-that-be chose to do this as a two-part action. Bare in mind for those going back to Nao, it would not be an "again, again", but an "again, continue".
  • GretaGreta
    Another thread got removed for asking to include Alexina in server merge which also had a forum poll.

I don't understand how a poll is breaking a CoC even though the poll system is a part of these forums.
    I smell salt for Alexina server from Mods.
  • HelsaHelsa
    /************************************************************\
    *·DISCLAIMER: since the following post is not made by an employee of··*
    *·Nexon or any of its affiliates or partners, what is contained therein is······*
    *·ultimately speculation. Until Nexon or any of its affiliates or partners·····*
    *·has spoken definitively on the matters to be discussed, do not take them···*
    *·as granted, even if the language used happens to make it seem so.··········*
    \************************************************************/
    Greta wrote: »
    Another thread got removed for asking to include Alexina in server merge which also had a forum poll.

I don't understand how a poll is breaking a CoC even though the poll system is a part of these forums.
    I smell salt for Alexina server from Mods.

I suppose we'll learn more after the merge. We'll have to wait and see.

• GretaGreta
    Need to bump this, because Alexina is in danger.
  • HelsaHelsa

In a sense the more danger it's in the better. They'll never let it go down, before merging it. :)
    Greta
  • LutetiumLutetium
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,605

Alexina isn't in any danger, it's just experiencing what the other three servers did when Alexina had **NEW** for 7 years; Nothing to worry about. I expect it'll end up merged within the year the way they're talking anyways, they just need to fix the name problem first.
    DanievictriaSpareoh
  • HelsaHelsa
    Lutetium wrote: »

Alexina isn't in any danger, it's just experiencing what the other three servers did when Alexina had **NEW** for 7 years; Nothing to worry about. I expect it'll end up merged within the year the way they're talking anyways, they just need to fix the name problem first.

Mhm. But just to be sure that they don't forget about us we're cranking our Kvetchatron9000™'s to 11! XD
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    edited June 14, 2019
    At this point if they do merge Alexina with Nao, I just hope they do a few things beforehand;
    1. Fix the names. Not just for players, but eventually I wanna see it for pets and homesteads.
    2. Add more channels. If there is gonna be even more people coming in, they should add the room for them.
    and 3. Improve the servers in general. Isn't there some way they could idk.. increase the capacity and the efficiency of them? I'm no electronics expert so I could be wrong but it would be nice to see this if it is possible.

Also, I want to note that lag will be an issue. It always has been for this game. It's gotten worse.. at least for Nao. It'll probably calm down after a while but once there is a full merge, it'll skyrocket again, which is why I hope they take the necessary steps to fix it up. I doubt they won't but idk.. all of this makes me nervous.
    They have done a good job with the recent merge (besides the few bugs and glitches, and the other issues that need cleaned up), but a mega server is a whole different beast. I'd like to believe they can do it though. I'm just reeeally nervous. ~.~'

Also.. I might be getting this wrong but.. in the last Server Merge thread, didn't a majority of people say they didn't want a full merge? Or was it the other way around?
    Ok nevermind that - they did (support a mega server). But yeah.. basically brings back my question of 'Can Nexon/the game handle it?' o _o
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited June 13, 2019
    Sherri wrote: »
    At this point if they do merge Alexina with Nao, I just hope they do a few things beforehand;
    1. Fix the names. Not just for players, but eventually I wanna see it for pets and homesteads.

Yes but. The same could be said for the three servers recently merged, yet it happened at this time for some reason. If the conditions that made them do so forgoing waiting are then being experienced by Alexina as well, then their hand may be forced yet again. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though, and they can merge it in properly.
    2. Add more servers. If there is gonna be even more people coming in, they should add the room for them.
    and 3. Improve the servers in general. Isn't there some way they could idk.. increase the capacity and the efficiency of them? I'm no electronics expert so I could be wrong but it would be nice to see this if it is possible.

Perhaps you mean they should retain the ability to add new servers in the future? Otherwise why take a server out and put another one in? The Korean servers have 20 channels apparently, and the housing channel is channel 26, so it would seem there is a lot more room for channels. If however, there is an upper limit to the possible number of channels per server then retaining the ability to maintain multiple servers would be prudent.
    Also, I want to note that lag will be an issue. It always has been for this game. It's gotten worse.. at least for Nao. It'll probably calm down after a while but once there is a full merge, it'll skyrocket again, which is why I hope they take the necessary steps to fix it up. I doubt they won't but idk.. all of this makes me nervous.
    They have done a good job with the recent merge (besides the few bugs and glitches, and the other issues that need cleaned up), but a mega server is a whole different beast. I'd like to believe they can do it though. I'm just reeeally nervous. ~.~'

Lag can be mitigated by adding more servers or more channels. At the end of the day it is exactly the same thing anyway, since it really is all one big database cluster. The idea of there being separate servers is artificial, they are really just partitions of the same database. Even though Nao has 10 channels to Alexina's 7, its population is so much larger that its per channel population density is still higher than Alexina. Lag is a per channel issue. Adding more channels would allow the population to spread out more, which would lower the lag experienced on the non-nost-popular channels.

The reason it is better to add more channels rather than more servers is you get the best of both worlds. With multiple servers, you do force a division of the most popular channels, making the lag experienced on those particular channels less than on a combined server. The lag experienced on the less popular channels will mostly be the same given sufficient channels. With a combined server with sufficient channels the lag experienced on the non-most-popular channels is the same, while the lag on the most popular channels is worse. Okay so what do you get for that. You get all the benefits that having a larger population gives at the cost of only the most popular channels being more laggy. Right after the free inventory plus was introduced, Alexina's channel one became just as busy as Nao's channel one is, well, now (punny me). We learned to only visit there if we had to and stayed for only as long as we needed. Full or nearly full channels do have benefits, their lag notwithstanding, it's a good place to shop, which is a relatively lag independent activity, and it's a good place to recruit folks for missions; make a raid party conduct it on an emptier channel.
    Also.. I might be getting this wrong but.. in the last Server Merge thread, didn't a majority of people say they didn't want a full merge? Or was it the other way around?
    Ok nevermind that - they did (support a mega server). But yeah.. basically brings back my question of 'Can Nexon/the game handle it?' o _o

Only, Nexon would really have any chance of knowing, and they went ahead with it.
    Sherri
  • JarvorenJarvoren
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,190
    I support this! We shouldn't be left out. :(

Jarvoren of Alexina
    Sakura2503
  • Sakura2503Sakura2503
    Mabinogi Rep: 775
    edited June 14, 2019
    As a supporter of the Server Merge, I also want Full Server Merge. I would like to enjoy the best gaming experience possible and be fully part of the Mabinogi community.

Sakura2503 Of Alexina
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Helsa wrote: »
    snip snip

Er yeah.. my bad, I meant channels for number 2. I.. don't even know why I put servers.
    But yes, I basically meant adding more channels and improving the servers so they can handle more.
    Though I see why they should just add more channels and be done with it.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Maybe they could merge this and all the other threads asking for the same thing?
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Helsa wrote: »
    Maybe they could merge this and all the other threads asking for the same thing?

Chimera thread.
  • SpringvioletSpringviolet
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,565
    It all good what everyone wants but if the company is not making money to care for its employees at Nexon then we might lose it all. Instead of we try to help improve the game some wish to tear it down. Sadly :(
  • HelsaHelsa
    The servers on which Mabinogi now resides, as of this spring, are owned by a third party. So, if Nexon chooses to use less of them, then that third party can rent them out to someone else. In terms of the Mabinogi database its self, it is managed by the same number of people regardless of how it happens to be arbitrarily partitioned.