Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Replace Homestead Gachapons With MS2 Build/Buy?

Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
Mabinogi Rep: 8,660
edited October 3, 2019 in Feedback and Suggestions
While being able to preview any decorations in a Homestead preview mode build (With stuff that you would want to buy from the Cash Shop) would bring in a lot of money to Nexon, what are your thoughts?
Would this have an impact on the Homestead Seed economy? Would Homestead Seeds become soul bound?
How many items should be exclusive to the Cash Shop? How often should the Cash Shop be updated/rotated?
Maybe we should start seeing everything drop in events instead?
I know that re-coding what's already in place for Homesteads would be rough for Nexon KR staff, so I wanna see some civil discussion about the future of Mabinogi monetization.
Let's get the creative juices flowing, see what comes up. (Loot Boxes as defined and legislated on Wiki, and the Senate bill, just fyi.)
  1. What Are Your Opinions Of The Current Homestead Model?10 votes
    1. Keep the gachapons, I like to roll for Lady Luck's initiative!
       10% (1 vote)
    2. Keep the gachapons, I see no reason to change it.
       10% (1 vote)
    3. I would love to build Mabinogi Homesteads in the same way I can preview/buy in Maplestory 2!
       50% (5 votes)
    4. The gachapons have/will become illegal, I would like a new Cash Shop monetization for Homesteads.
       30% (3 votes)

Comments

• SollSoll
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,330
    A homestead item shouldnt be cash shop only. More use of pon building could be implemented instead, if not outright built with ingame ressources.
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited October 6, 2019
    Soll wrote: »
    A homestead item shouldnt be cash shop only. More use of pon building could be implemented instead, if not outright built with ingame ressources.

So just as Maplestory 2 had Blue Merits (Paid) and Red Merits (Free), then that would mean Mabinogi would also have separate (yet select duplicate items) sections of the Cash Shop for:
    -Pons (Moved from earned in events or paid for in NX, to earned in events exclusively.)
    -NX (Paid for by physical money.)
  • SollSoll
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,330

So just as Maplestory 2 had Blue Merits (Paid) and Red Merits (Free), then that would mean Mabinogi would also have separate (yet select duplicate items) sections of the Cash Shop for:
    -Pons (Moved from earned in events or paid for in NX, to earned in events exclusively.)

More like three:
    Paid (nx, can have bonus stats)
    Pon (event exclusives for the ppl that missed em)
    Ingame material ressources (basic stuff stuff like flowers and non glowing trees perhaps, has no stats and only for appearance purposes.)
    Darkpixie99xSho76
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited October 7, 2019

More like three:
    Ingame material ressources (basic stuff stuff like flowers and non glowing trees perhaps, has no stats and only for appearance purposes.)

-NX (Paid Currency with brand new Paid items which rotate at variable times.)
    -Pon (Event Currency with Event prizes, and items moving off the NX shop at variable rotations.)
    -Crafting (Crafted Homestead Seeds with recipes and requisite items.)

As for the seasonal Cash Shop additions, I feel as if Nexon still hasn't yet begun to process the impact of loot boxes and new legislation.
    They could very well forget Belgium in all this, and continue to roll out the newest items in gachapons.
    The next likely step Nexon would take, is to move the newest Homestead Seeds into the NX store after a week.
    Then they'd move those Homestead Seeds into the Pon store after a year of the first NX rotation.
    It's rather poor planning, and encourages players against active spending, but also encourages active event gameplay.

Perhaps after a year of NX Homestead Seed Bundles appearing at random cycles, Nexon might realize how more engaging a new model is to new/returning users than gachapons. Or maybe not.
    I don't really know, so all we can do is hope for the best when the bill passes Senate here in the US.
    We'll have to pray that Mabinogi remains at a calm Teen rating through this "new" monetization model once the legislation passes.
    Otherwise, this game's future is an Adult Only rating, and nostalgia doesn't sell well, when done and sold improperly.
    (Gaia Online under Goldemort four years ago, for example. Nowadays, the Gaia staff is crippled, and dependent on user donations and money without an investor.)
  • PlatinaKokiPlatinaKoki
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,760
    edited October 7, 2019
    The upside of the current system is that people who don't want to roll the dice can buy it from someone who did. Outrageous gold prices notwithstanding, people can still get Gacha HS props without having to spend a single dollar.

The problem with Red Merets in MS2 is that there's barely any at all. During the year or so that I've played MS2, there's been Red Meret giveaways, like, twice. And they were only worth enough to buy one thing. As for Blue Merets, its the literal equivalent of paying with Pon.

Most of the stuff on my HS is from events. A few of my favorite items are from paid Gachas, but the majority of my items were earned without paying NX, whether it was from an event, or something I bought from someone who did spend NX to get it.

MS2's building system does have some upsides (like all the decorations being stored in a storage system just for the home, instead of taking up your own inventory space): the part with pieces you can buy with real money isn't one of those upsides.

More like three:

-NX (Paid Currency with brand new Paid items which rotate at variable times.)
    -Pon (Event Currency with Event prizes, and items moving off the NX shop at variable rotations.)
    -Crafting (Crafted Homestead Seeds with recipes and requisite items.)

As for the seasonal Cash Shop additions, I feel as if Nexon still hasn't yet begun to process the impact of loot boxes and new legislation.
    They could very well forget Belgium in all this, and continue to roll out the newest items in gachapons.
    The next likely step Nexon would take, is to move the newest Homestead Seeds into the NX store after a week.
    Then they'd move those Homestead Seeds into the Pon store after a year of the first NX rotation.
    It's rather poor planning, and encourages players against active spending, but also encourages active event gameplay.

Perhaps after a year of NX Homestead Seed Bundles appearing at random cycles, Nexon might realize how more engaging a new model is to new/returning users than gachapons. Or maybe not.
    I don't really know, so all we can do is hope for the best when the bill passes Senate here in the US.
    We'll have to pray that Mabinogi remains at a calm Teen rating through this "new" monetization model once the legislation passes.
    Otherwise, this game's future is an Adult Only rating, and nostalgia doesn't sell well, when done and sold improperly.
    (Gaia Online under Goldemort four years ago, for example. Nowadays, the Gaia staff is crippled, and dependent on user donations and money without an investor.)

McConnell is currently known as the Grim Reaper of the Senate, because anything that reaches his desk that doesn't further conservative ideals is ignored by him. I'm sure legislation on lootboxes would fall under the things that McConnell doesn't care about.
    Darkpixie99
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited October 8, 2019
    McConnell is currently known as the Grim Reaper of the Senate, because anything that reaches his desk that doesn't further conservative ideals is ignored by him. I'm sure legislation on lootboxes would fall under the things that McConnell doesn't care about.

This legislation falls under child safety, and consists of technological gambling.
    (Due to certain unnamed companies abusing power to monopolize and lie about loot boxes with a lack of micro-transaction transparency to the common consumer, based off testimony from Consumer Reports.)
    The FTC called forth for a workshop, and followed up with a question of, "If we were to meet again in five years, would we still be hearing about issues with lootboxes?"
    I'd say that there is valid reason for the Senator to pay attention and do his job.
    Either way, the bill's name is: S. 1629: A bill to regulate certain pay-to-win microtransactions and sales of loot boxes in interactive digital entertainment products, and for other purposes. Bill Tracker

The upside of the current system is that people who don't want to roll the dice can buy it from someone who did. Outrageous gold prices notwithstanding, people can still get Gacha HS props without having to spend a single dollar.

The problem with Red Merets in MS2 is that there's barely any at all. During the year or so that I've played MS2, there's been Red Meret giveaways, like, twice. And they were only worth enough to buy one thing. As for Blue Merets, its the literal equivalent of paying with Pon.

Most of the stuff on my HS is from events. A few of my favorite items are from paid Gachas, but the majority of my items were earned without paying NX, whether it was from an event, or something I bought from someone who did spend NX to get it.

MS2's building system does have some upsides (like all the decorations being stored in a storage system just for the home, instead of taking up your own inventory space): the part with pieces you can buy with real money isn't one of those upsides.

I think the Red Merits have been maintenance compensation at certain points, but I haven't played that often.
    If Nexon would listen to feedback and reward event currency more often, then a lack of Red Merit rewards would not be a problem.
    If Blue Merits are exactly like Pon, but Pon become the Red Merits, then NX would be the Blue Merits.
    Unfortunately, the part of having to buy furniture with Merits is where Nexon has to get their money from.
    It's going to have to be an alternative to gachapons for countries that outright ban loot boxes. (The gachapon model is a loot box.)
  • Darkpixie99Darkpixie99
    edited November 6, 2019
    Don't mean to double post, but Red Merits will be discontinued in MS2 on December 11th.
    So we will need a different way to figure out how to suggest to Nexon on how to work out the NX/Pon distribution of currently gachapon exclusive Homestead Items.

While the build/buy model is popular, events with active Homestead event drops have proven equally popular.
    Anyone else with any other insight they want to share?