Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Mabinogi has been my second home.

SutaruSutaru
Mabinogi Rep: 1,715
edited February 3, 2017 in General Chat
So I just wanted to take the time to talk about how much Mabinogi means to me and how grateful I am that it is still around.

Back in 2008 I was a sophomore in high school. I was really big into playing maplestory up until then, but it became hard for me to play because it was on my parents computer, so we had to share. That year I entered into a school raffle to win a laptop and ended up being lucky enough to get it!! I was so thrilled!!! The first thing I did when I got it was went to nexons website to download maplestory. At that time I noticed that they had recently added a new game called Mabinogi. To me it looked like heaven because of the 3D Anime style. I had never seen anything so amazing. I knew I had to have it! I instantly downloaded it and fell in love.

6EC2KHH.png

My character was nowhere near perfection at this point. I had a lot of work ahead of me. I started out training on wolves in Tir and slowly made my way up to doing Ciar Dungeon.
Eventually I ended up meeting tons of amazing friends and joining the guild Fashionogi (Alexina Server). It was great! We talked, helped each other dye our outfits, and had parties.

Yf7QQpi.jpg

ZrbRasN.jpg

As years passed all of my friends had quit playing and my guild was no longer active. It really is sad to think I will never talk to them again, but I like to think they are off enjoying the real world. Something I cannot do, for I am stuck in mabiland.

This game has been nothing but a blessing. It has always been here for me through tough times. No matter what happens to the game I will never forget how great it has been for me. Thank you Nexon for this wonderful game and community. Thank you for all the many fun years and hopefully more to come. And most of all thank all of you for your kindness. See you all in game!! Love Sutaru < 3

ARhbpFb.jpg
KororeShoogCrimsọnImaizumiShadoeNegumikoSherriSpiritikaLineosKingEphyand 2 others.

Comments

• KororeKorore
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,765
    edited February 3, 2017
    I love hearing stories like this one!!

Makes my heart feel warm!

Once a Milletian, ALWAYS A MILLETIAN!!!
    SutaruLineos
  • ShoogShoog
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,535
    I love reading stories like this as well. ^^ Also, remember to hide your pink stuffs from... you... know... who... :P
    Sutaru
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Lovely story. -sniff-

In many ways we all have similar stories about how we chanced upon Mabinogi and journies thereafter. I think at the time I was downloading Maplestory to see what the big deal was about. Loaded it up and instantly decided this game was hot garbage. Uninstalled it, decided to try out Audition, uninstalled that too. Then I saw Mabinogi. Downloaded and installed it. Booted it up and went to create a character. I thought it was pretty cute and the music was catchy. Met with Nao before she transported me to Erinn to start my new life.

I found the game enchanting and have been playing ever since.

Friends come and go, new and old, guilds as well. But I still log in almost everyday. Honestly I don't know why anymore. But I guess this is my online home too.

^_^

Now if only I could enter my homestead house! >:O
    Sutaru[Deleted User]LineosKingEphyPeloi
  • SutaruSutaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,715
    One of my favorite things to do is test out MMOs. I have probably tried everything currently available to the US, whether it is free or buy to play. Nothing is really comparable. I'm not sure if its because there is just so much to do or if its just nostalgia. Its just so good. Of course there are a few runners up like Aura Kingdom was ok. I like Black Desert and GW2 when it comes to buy to play. Nothing beats Mabinogi though.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited February 3, 2017
    Mabinogi just has that unique niche. It might be on a old broken engine. But it still brings people back time and time again. It's almost a national treasure in my opinion. <3
    Sutaru[Deleted User]
  • mintielmintiel
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,855
    edited February 3, 2017
    Sutaru wrote: »
    One of my favorite things to do is test out MMOs. I have probably tried everything currently available to the US, whether it is free or buy to play. Nothing is really comparable. I'm not sure if its because there is just so much to do or if its just nostalgia. Its just so good. Of course there are a few runners up like Aura Kingdom was ok. I like Black Desert and GW2 when it comes to buy to play. Nothing beats Mabinogi though.
    I always find it amazing when people say that Aura Kingdom was good considering that game did nothing but hold your hand through the entire thing.

Mabi's a nice place, I'll agree. It's one of the only games online that actually made me put down Maplestory which I have to say, I've felt like I've had some sort of obligation to play (prolly due to the money I've dropped on it) despite that it's literally as Gaea said: "Hot Garbage"

Though these days it feels to be, while not entirely dead, somewhat empty and lacking on things to do. I'll have to admit, I planned to train a lot during this event, and I found myself straying over to Final Fantasy again :V Whoops

I guess I'll swing by more when there's more story content... or... something

Sutaru
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited February 3, 2017
    From what I know a lot of kiddies were instantly hooked on Maplestory eons back. News stories about kids stealing their parent's money, ext ext. It's a Nexon icon game. So regardless of how well it is doing or not, it's a game that will endure like McDonald's. But I have a feeling...and this is just a little prediction of mine - don't count on it - that Maplestory will be phased out with Maplestory 2.

Will I play Maplestory 2? I will login to register my ign, fuss with some character creation, and log off. Yep.

Also I want to go on and say that there are very few games out there that allow you to switch your character to whatever archetype class at will. That is a core aspect of Mabinogi that is unique and keeps players coming back. Mabinogi has always been a game where you can master everything on ONE character. This allows you to collaborate a strategic build for whatever is needed wherever it is needed. That is why Mabinogi is awesome.
    SutaruNegumiko
  • mintielmintiel
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,855
    Oops I should have specified that past the first paragraph I was refering to mabi. :V Then again my mind was on work and I was just killing time so I guess I messed up there.
    As for MS2 phasing out MS1, that's not gonna happen. Didn't happen in Korea. MS2 is dead, MS1 is unfortunately still kicking

And yeah, the one character, able to do everything (minus a few race limited skills) is pretty much the best thing about Mabi. I wish more games were like this, but I've only found Mabi and FFXIV thus far.
  • VeraduxVeradux
    Mabinogi Rep: 450
    edited February 4, 2017
    I'm certain I could spend half an hour going on and on about my own story, as I'm certain many of us can. I can remember nearly every moment of my whole Mabinogi career. From way back when I was in awe over a friend's spirit weapon, back when they were behind a paywall, to helping that friend use Rundal for Windmill training, again back when Windmill was both required usage and did 10% self-damage. The gladius that friend gave after she lost the one I loaned her for the dungeon became my own spirit weapon later down the road, and that same spirit is now in a Dustin Knight Sword, glowing very brightly.

I wish I had my old screenshots. The ones of my old guild sitting in a circle around Shenon way back when we had to wait for the boat and we all tried to time out ice bolt perfectly so that they wouldn't overlap as they floated around us. I honestly can't even remember the names of most of those guild members, or even the guild's name. But I remember that the guild stone was sitting west of the Moon Gate. Or the horde of screenshots I tried to make into "comics" by adding captions. Those ones would be the most difficult to look at, both because of the bad reference comedy I used to try half a decade ago, and because my second guild helped put most of them together. The only person I ever married in Mabinogi came from that second guild, and that girl I became close with in real life. I got lucky and she was merely 30 minutes away from me, and our relationship lasted nearly five years before she died in a car accident. I remember her lauding the gingerbread cooking truck pet and her shunning me for an hour when I said I wanted it. She had already quit the game at that point.

I'm still in my third guild. It expired a year ago and of the two and a half dozen people still in it, not including myself, two logged in 5 weeks ago, and one logged in three weeks ago. Everyone else is 15+. Even though I have virtually no ties to the guild, since I joined because of one person, I refuse to leave it. I still have that one person on my friend's list, and their one of the two people I could contact outside the game. I have his email, though I don't know if he'd respond. He's the one that tried to teach me to read sheet music. I bet I could find his old youtube, as I'm in several of his videos. The other person I have added on Steam and they're almost always playing whatever the hot anime game of the week is (Tales, Neptunia, etc.). I haven't spoken with them in a long time, though. Maybe some Dungeon Fighter would spark some conversation with them.

Of the rest of my friend's list, I only remember two of the other names. All the others I have no recollection of who they are or why I added them. But those other two, one who was active for a long time and one who stopped conversing with anyone when homesteading was introduced, but was always active. I never wanted to remove him because his homestead is public and has dozens of every kind of herb and a full spread of crafting equipment. One was from the second guild. He was semi-unfocused in his skills like me, but every single one of his items, from his shoes to his spirit LLB to his gladius and shield they were powder pink with a white trim. Never the other way around. He helped me fight Claimh Solas.

And those are just the people. The stories of dungeons I remember, of the time I gave away hordes of neatly colored items, the stories I have of 10k dye amps being haggled over, my rage during certain forced solo generation quests, the fact that I have several thousand song scores ripped from an archive of the old version of Mabi Beats. Freakin' a, I learned to draw by tracing Mabi screenshots. My musical tastes were shaped by the game's soundtrack.

Who left these onions here?
    SutaruLineosshintaroshy64
  • Kimo159Kimo159
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,810
    We all have stories when we were newbie ^_^
    Sutaru
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Indeed, Mabinogi is my second home too. I may not have many friends, but those who are my friends, I cherish them to death. c:
    As for MapleStory.. that's got to be my 4th home or something. I enjoy it. c:
    Sutaru
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    I can't believe people still play maple story. Why?
  • LineosLineos
    Mabinogi Rep: 550
    If we're dropping our mabi stories here, I'll write mine!

I got into mabi through one of my cousins. We were probably like 10 or 11 at the time, and he would show me youtube videos all the time, and insisted that I download the game. My family computer was never good enough to run mabi, something about it's 3d rendering wouldn't work right with that old dinosaur. Eventually, I brought it up with my grandma, and it turns out that she had the game downloaded on her computer because it looked like something I would like to play. That's where my addiction, and second home, began.

Everyday after school, I would go visit my grandma, and play mabi. I remember when I hit total level 100 and absolutely freaked out. My first pet was the white ostrich, I remember going to a Wallgreens and paying for a 10k Nexon Cash card in mostly quarters, earned through mowing my grandma's lawn. I would run a taxi service between Dunbarton and Tir for people who didn't want to wait for the moon gate to open up. It was this way that I made a lot of my old friends. Looking back, I was never that op, I was always wearing clothes that Simon sold, and bears still scared the crap out of me. Good times.

Skip forward a to around G9, and my grandmother's computer broke. I entered a forced hiatus from mabi for about three years, and in the process all of my old friends quit. I remember opening up mabi's homepage from time to time on a library computer just to check what new generation quests or skill sets had come out. I would go to my cousin's house from time to time and we would stay up until dawn just playing mabi. When commercing came out, we spammed it for probably a good 24 hours. It was fantastic.

Eventually, I got my first laptop. This happened when I was roughly 16, and I was overjoyed. I could finally play whenever I wanted! I started making friends left and right, and I ended up joining my first guild, Dualshock. I started finally training and doing my generation quests. Soon enough, Dualshock disbanded, and I joined the guild that would make me see mabi as a second home, and introduce me to my best friends, Ruby. Ruby ended up breaking up after a few months of me joining, but those few months were probably the most fun I've had in mabi. I've yet to find a guild that has a guild chat that active. It was ridiculous.

Now that I'm in college, I can't play as much as I would like to, but I still hop on almost every week. I just got the Vates talent title, a goal of mine that I wanted ever since I picked up alchemy back when I was just 16. I'm still in contact with a lot of really good friends, but sometimes I get sad when I look at all the friends I have that have been offline for over a year. I hope that they're enjoying their lives, and while I know the chances of ever talking to them again are slim, I hope it somehow happens someday. Mabi has always been my favorite video game, and probably will remain my favorite until the day the servers go down.
    Sutarushintaroshy64SherriNegumikoPeloi
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Gaea wrote: »
    I can't believe people still play maple story. Why?
    IDK about the other players, but I play cuz' of the story.
    Maple got sum good lore. :P
  • NakijuxCandiNakijuxCandi
    Mabinogi Rep: 810
    edited September 15, 2017
    love mabi ;;
    Sutarushintaroshy64
  • RoyRedRoyRed
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,140
    Well this post is something,well I wanted to share my story of this MMO that change my life;well ever since August Saturday 2009 I sign up of this game to see what this can expected to me,so this MMO did expect me&here I am now.Anyway I know that I can't be at this MMO forever,but it does not mean i'm quitting it;what I about to say is-that if I become an old man about to send to the retirement home,then I can say my good-byes of this MMO for good.But I won't forget about my youth of this MMO I spent my cash&time here.Is good thing I am having a job to get cash of my own now if I want the money to burn off for this site to get cash for them.Also I will be age 26 this year soon,then next year at 2018 will be the day of 10th anniverary N.A Mabinogi...But Youtube still not have done it's job that they should have done of what there "rules" says,since there are innocent people getting there channel banned of following the rules&let the bad ones stay to breaking there rules then getting away with it without any warnings;the site should know there job&do it properly...I am hoped that Nexon should do there job properly also...
    Sutaru
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    mabi is the first mmo I really ever got into. my parents had slow dial up internet so just the thought of playing a mmo seemed incredible to me at the time when I was a kid. the summer after I turned 17 I spent the summer working at my grandma's farm and earned enough for my first laptop. about a year later my parents finally decided to get faster internet and maplestory was the game most of my friends at school were talking about. I tried maplestory first but was not super impressed then I found mabi and was hooked instantly. my first character was a elf and I spent most of the time in Filia killing armadillos and desert ghost warriors. friends come and go over the years but I have met some of my closest friends through mabi. it may be a old game but it is a form of home to many with a good community of players unlike a lot of other mmos so quitting is not a option ^^
    Sutaru
  • ShakayaShakaya
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,075
    I've been playing Mabinogi since 2008 as well~ I was in 8th grade when the closed beta was released, which I unfortunately did not get into. But there were previews of the game on its website and it looked like the most amazing thing I had ever seen! I'm in love with Fantasy and Slice of Life genres when it comes to anime/books/etc., so when I found out about Mabi I instantly fell in love with it. I obsessively re-watched the Lorna and Pan series until the open beta was released~

I had originally made a character on the Mari server, loved the game to bits and pieces, but ended up taking a break for a month or two. When I came back around G1 I joined the Tarlach server and have been insanely addicted ever since!

Back then you had to pay for service to be able to do the storyline, so since I was buying the service I thought I might as well make a guild too, and it'll give me a fancy gold crown next to my name too! So I did this pretty lightheartedly, not knowing how much my guild would become in the future. Nowadays, my guildies are my family and this game is my home. It is my life away from the real world. It's my "Fantasy Life." :'D
    Sutaru