Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

More race selection?

SeedThornsSeedThorns
Mabinogi Rep: 780
edited March 27, 2020 in Feedback and Suggestions
Wouldn't it be cool to have more playable species in this game? Instead of what we currently have: Humans, Elves, and Giants, we could also have Dwarves, Beastmen, or even controllable Milletian-fomor??

Like with elves and giants that have special talents and skills catered to their race, making them superior in their respective roles.

Dwarves, other than being short, should be able to craft weapons and armor with better stats than any other races --Perhaps also better success at life/crafting skills.
In addition, to the introduction of Dwarves, a new talent/skill tree should be available to accentuate this new race. And that could be something expanding off engineering, like turrets.
Adding to the above point of them being short, gives players more freedom with their tastes in Fashionogi.

For Beastmen, why would anyone say no to these furry eared and tailed races? Obviously people who don't understand culture -Just kidding.
This race, perhaps expanding off transformation skills, should be able to transform (By this transform, I mean the alternative to Paladin, etc) based on their other half? Confusing..? Yes.
Possibly with Beastmen, there would be more than just a cat-eared or a fox-eared..
Anyways, with their inevitable release (xd), they should be slightly faster than elves.. And even faster transformed. They should specialize in fighter skills... What? Final Fist??

Lastly, with Fomorians.. Wouldn't it be cool to have players play from the perspective of a Fomorian? Maybe different perspectives of the story quests?
This one is probably more of a stretch... But I thought it'll be cool, especially when it comes to PvP. However, I know most would say Paladin vs DK is already... But making it more complicated... A fomorian made character that allies with Morrighan instead (becoming a Paladin)... Could allow for Paladin&DK vs Paladin&DK! Just wow! What if you had both the PvP options turned on? *surprisedface*

Not gonna lie, towards half of this I got lazy at trying to make sense of it all and just wrote as I thought. Just wanted to share my thoughts.. I did look at previous posts of other races... Some of which have some wild imaginations...

Let's play a game with comments below.. Every comment should try to answer or talk with the comment above theirs... (I predict.. nobody does this.. why do I even bother)

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited March 27, 2020
    AYE! DWARVES! DWARVES NEH'EW!
  • AlshianAlshian
    Mabinogi Rep: 7,065
    I think giants were suppose to be dwarves once but ended up BIG and STRONK.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    I'd main an Incubus.
    TwistedxFate
  • HelsaHelsa
    Sherri wrote: »
    I'd main an Incubus.

Kinky. Is that what the kids are calling it today?
  • KeichiroKeichiro
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,010
    These sound great! Not great enough to leave my cute elf, but I'm sure everyone would appreciate the variety~
  • KingEphyKingEphy
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,100
    edited March 30, 2020
    Humans have Uladh, Giants have Vales, Elves have Filia...where would the town of dwarves be located?

And what kind of newer dungeon would be featured there too?
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited March 30, 2020
    KingEphy wrote: »
    Humans have Uladh, Giants have Vales, Elves have Filia...where would the town of dwarves be located?

And what kind of newer dungeon would be featured there too?

Usually they are depicted, like the Sakkra, as subterranean, so their map footprint on the surface world does not need to be all that large. The map of Iria is shown as complete and the rest of Uladh is supposed to be fomor country. So, either tuck it in somewhere, off the beatten path in either of those two places or time for a new landmass. Perhaps a southern continent, and turn Port Ceann into a proper port rather than just a dock with an androgenous youngster attending it.
  • SqueeSquee
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,565
    I personally would like to see a playable race of succubi and incubi playable. I personally would have them main magic compared the the physical power of giants, archery skill of elves, and humans are "balanced".

I think someone else made a thread on this a while back. But yeah, I think we do need some new races. The only problem with that is that the new race being current would make it much stronger than the other races because they probably won't balance the old races to the new races properly.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    I've always said, if they ever decide to expand west or north on Uladh, it opens the window for new races, but of course that would make the lives of devs hard won't it?
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    I've always said, if they ever decide to expand west or north on Uladh, it opens the window for new races, but of course that would make the lives of devs hard won't it?

I was always curious what lived west of Uladh
    Not to mention Iria has quite a lot of space that could be fleshed out more
    Helsa wrote: »
    Sherri wrote: »
    I'd main an Incubus.

Kinky. Is that what the kids are calling it today?

Nani?
    Here's an idea. Goblin/hobgoblin race
    Goblins in Lappa make peace and settle, rebuilding the village, and make a storyline out of it. In conflict with other groups of goblins around the river who still lay ambush on travelers rafting. For quests in Lappa that require hunting goblins there, move them to a separate area nearby.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Goblins in Lappa make peace and settle, rebuilding the village, and make a storyline out of it. In conflict with other groups of goblins around the river who still lay ambush on travelers rafting. For quests in Lappa that require hunting goblins there, move them to a separate area nearby.

There goes rafting, probably best to extend the couracle map instead to allow for a new village.
    Helsa wrote: »

There goes rafting, probably best to extend the couracle map instead to allow for a new village.

No, I mean the hobs along the river are still hostile, so rafting would still be possible.
  • SqueeSquee
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,565
    They NEED to remove rafting from this game. The rafting glitch is probably never going to get fixed, and it's more of a hassle than it should be. So I'd be okay with them removing rafting completely, or redoing it completely as something else, like maybe killing carnivorous plants that make their homes along the banks. They can easily get bolt magic (I think a lot of the still plants in Shylien use lightning bolt). So they can make it work, but if they do, then they REALLY need to fix rafting. Redo it completely.
    Squee wrote: »
    They NEED to remove rafting from this game. The rafting glitch is probably never going to get fixed, and it's more of a hassle than it should be. So I'd be okay with them removing rafting completely, or redoing it completely as something else, like maybe killing carnivorous plants that make their homes along the banks. They can easily get bolt magic (I think a lot of the still plants in Shylien use lightning bolt). So they can make it work, but if they do, then they REALLY need to fix rafting. Redo it completely.

Of course, rafting could be remodeled to fit a goblin/hobgoblin race.
  • LutetiumLutetium
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,605
    More options sounds nice on the surface, and work quite well in games like Starbound when you throw in the frackin' races mod to add meaningful variance in stats and movement, but this is Mabinogi we're talking about and Devcat can't balance 3 races let alone any more. All that adding more would accomplish is going from Human and 2 objectively worse options to Human and 5 objectively worse options.

But hey I'm sure we'll get an ear slot in the pay monthly style tab eventually, and maybe skill enhancement trees we can buy from the cash shop and also pay a monthly "tab unlocking" tax on to use them.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Lutetium wrote: »
    More options sounds nice on the surface, and work quite well in games like Starbound when you throw in the frackin' races mod to add meaningful variance in stats and movement, but this is Mabinogi we're talking about and Devcat can't balance 3 races let alone any more. All that adding more would accomplish is going from Human and 2 objectively worse options to Human and 5 objectively worse options.

But hey I'm sure we'll get an ear slot in the pay monthly style tab eventually, and maybe skill enhancement trees we can buy from the cash shop and also pay a monthly "tab unlocking" tax on to use them.

That's a good point but only AFTER they've added Dwarves. :)
  • 아이씨아이씨
    Mabinogi Rep: 375
    We're fine with the current three races. Anything other than elves, giants, and humans would just make this game as gross as MapleStory.