Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Just a thought

ServilliusServillius
Mabinogi Rep: 745
edited March 16, 2020 in Feedback and Suggestions
I’ve been thinking about how alchemy could be done better, and I had a thought. That thought is that you can add one or two extra crystals to an alchemy skill to give it different attributes.
Water: single target, more damage
Fire: multi-target, less damage
Wind: Longer range, less damage
Earth: shorter range, more damage.

Eg: add fire to wind blast, and it now pushes several targets back, just not as much.
Add earth to heat buster and it has even shorter range, but deals more damage.
Also, now that the heat buster is fire and earth type alchemy, you don’t get penalised for using an earth cylinder with earth heat buster.

Just a thought. Still needs to get fleshed out more.
DragoolfireSherri

Comments

• TimefallTimefall
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,505
    Alchemy was amazing. It was a great addition to the game, a skillset full of utilities and status-inducers. Crowd control, positioning, and more. A perfect "toolbox". Preparation become power as the player took the time to craft and stockpile crystals. Then, they decided to destroy alchemy. I think the developers would have been glad to simply remove the talent from the game entirely. Instead, they started making bosses immune to all alchemy skills. Then common monsters. Then, they blocked out skill usage entirely (such as shock not discharging inside Tech Duinn).

Their hatred for the skillset shines bright, and I think it's quite clear that no amount of good ideas will convince them to bring back true alchemy, I'm sorry to say. It will forever be a footnote on mabi, a devolved wannabe magic with 2 skills that do damage, and a dozen which do nothing at all.
    FOXAssassin
  • ServilliusServillius
    edited April 1, 2020
    Another thought: add light and dark elements. Dark is fast and uses cooldowns and is inefficient, Light is slow but doesn't use cooldowns and is very efficient.
    Eg: You could discharge all five charges of flame burst at once but deal less damage, or you could deal more damage but have a cool down.

A dark earth water shock would only shock one enemy at close distance, and only last a short time, but it would hit very fast, dealing lots of damage, and have a longer cooldown.

A light wind water summon golem would be a little weak, but would last a long time, could go far away from the player, and would focus on one enemy at a time (never using windmill or stomp.)
    An earth fire golem would stay in one place and just spam windmill/stomp.

Skills would need to be reworked a bit, but that needs to happen anyway, so...
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Timefall wrote: »
    Alchemy was amazing. It was a great addition to the game, a skillset full of utilities and status-inducers. Crowd control, positioning, and more. A perfect "toolbox". Preparation become power as the player took the time to craft and stockpile crystals. Then, they decided to destroy alchemy. I think the developers would have been glad to simply remove the talent from the game entirely. Instead, they started making bosses immune to all alchemy skills. Then common monsters. Then, they blocked out skill usage entirely (such as shock not discharging inside Tech Duinn).

Their hatred for the skillset shines bright, and I think it's quite clear that no amount of good ideas will convince them to bring back true alchemy, I'm sorry to say. It will forever be a footnote on mabi, a devolved wannabe magic with 2 skills that do damage, and a dozen which do nothing at all.

Yep, they want Mabinogi to be all about power and nothing else. Nevermind patience, nevermind cleverness just be bigger. This is why there is so much talk about upgrades, enchants, and reforges. Build those stats; nothing else matters. At the lowest levels of play there still is a use for patience and cleverness, maybe that's why Mabinogi is more fun as a weak character; who knows.
    FOXAssassinServillius
  • ServilliusServillius
    There was also one really good summon golem update suggestion a long time ago. Damn, imagine how awesome Mabinogi could be if the fans were part of the design team.
  • nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,870
    Servillius wrote: »
    There was also one really good summon golem update suggestion a long time ago. Damn, imagine how awesome Mabinogi could be if the fans were part of the design team.

http://forums.mabinogi.nexon.net/discussion/comment/133167/#Comment_133167

Was it this one?
  • ServilliusServillius
    No. I can't find it, but it was a very in-depth analysis on how summon golem could be better. It was at least 3 years ago, I think.
  • SqueeSquee
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,565
    Alchemy is just another one of those skillsets that needs a rebalance. Like almost every skillset in the game, save maybe chainslash.