Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Muting NPC

RavagneRavagne
Mabinogi Rep: 335
in Feedback and Suggestions
I’ve been playing mabinogi for around half a year now and ever since I started playing I noticed that there are a lot of “bot players” that spam chat selling gold for Real money.. my idea/suggestion is to have an npc that walks around Towns like Dunbarton and mute these characters so the other 1000 people playing don’t have to block 50 people a day or deal with that spam.
This may also cause a problem of them just not going into the town to spam so maybe even an npc that just pops up like Nao and mute them!
P.s there’s this bug where people can infinitely spawn their pet and a lot of people “troll” with it plz remove this it’s so annoying.
Sherri

Comments

• KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    I believe something similar was suggested many many years ago. Ultimately, the only way to mute them is to either grow your blacklist until full (also fills up friend's list) or mute the normal speech tab in options.
    Ravagne
  • IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    As a small thing, I think the "bug" you saw of people infinitely spawning their pets isn't a bug, but that person using the Pet Interaction system in a kind of obnoxious way.

The Pet Interaction lets you do a lot of things with a pet, with certain things as a trigger.
    One of the things you can make a pet do is play certain animations, like "attack" or "be hit".
    And one of the animations available is "Summon" for pets that have an on-summon Skill.
    It can be annoying with certain pets, like Flying Food Truck or a lot of the dragon pets with noisy summon skills.
    RavagneSherri
  • RavagneRavagne
    Iyasenu wrote: »
    As a small thing, I think the "bug" you saw of people infinitely spawning their pets isn't a bug, but that person using the Pet Interaction system in a kind of obnoxious way.

The Pet Interaction lets you do a lot of things with a pet, with certain things as a trigger.
    One of the things you can make a pet do is play certain animations, like "attack" or "be hit".
    And one of the animations available is "Summon" for pets that have an on-summon Skill.
    It can be annoying with certain pets, like Flying Food Truck or a lot of the dragon pets with noisy summon skills.

Thank you for the information! that’s really obnoxious of people to do but I guess I’ll just Blacklist them

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    The algorithm to determine what is a bot could lead to false positives. The way to deal with them is the same as how to deal with music over-players, you blacklist them temporarily. This keeps them from bothering you and your list doesn't fill up.
    RavagneTetra22345
    For blacklisting actual bots and their gold selling spam. It is best to clean your blacklist weekly, because chances are you will not see that particular bot again.
  • RavagneRavagne

Thanks for replying guys but I think you’re missing the point. We shouldn’t have to blacklist the gold sellers that’s mania job to get rid of them which is why I made my request. It doesn’t have to be the exact way I described but I’m just trying to suggest a way to end the whole thing or find someone else that already has an idea of how that could happen. The whole o just block them has been happening for far too long and it seems like you guys are just used to something that you shouldn’t have to be used to.
  • RavagneRavagne
    I meant Nexon* not mania. (Can’t figure out how to edit from my phone)
  • RavagneRavagne
    For blacklisting actual bots and their gold selling spam. It is best to clean your blacklist weekly, because chances are you will not see that particular bot again.

I don’t understand why you’re sending this here it’s literally the problem I’m trying to avoid.
    Ravagne wrote: »

I don’t understand why you’re sending this here it’s literally the problem I’m trying to avoid.

Because it's a suggestion for others to use if they are having trouble managing their blacklists. Many people get frustrated when their list gets full. It's something meant for all to read.

It's a side suggestion for what we currently use to deal with bot spam, and doesn't interfere with your suggestion for need of a muting NPC or some sort of mute option to get rid of that spam.
    Ravagne
  • RavagneRavagne

Because it's a suggestion for others to use if they are having trouble managing their blacklists. Many people get frustrated when their list gets full. It's something meant for all to read.

It's a side suggestion for what we currently use to deal with bot spam, and doesn't interfere with your suggestion for need of a muting NPC or some sort of mute option to get rid of that spam.

Even here you try to come spread the word of common sense.

Even here you try to come spread the word of common sense.

Is it common sense for newcomer players who may not have this info?
  • HelsaHelsa
    Pay attention to the add bot names. I suspect one that you see shortly is never seen again. I suspect Nexon runs logs echoing all conversation that happens on the server, since text takes VERY little binary storage. They can run queries on the logs to look for add bot like activity. Maybe they just auto-ban at that point but I suspect someone looks it over to confirm. The actual number of people running add bots I suspect is quite small, so having Human over-site, say during weekly maintenance, is probably within their capability.

In other words I think Nexon is doing this already but cleansing action probably takes place weekly, rather than instantaneously. Of course folks can report bots for possible faster turn-around, but I've never bothered.

• AmarazAmaraz
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,735
    I believe something similar was suggested many many years ago. Ultimately, the only way to mute them is to either grow your blacklist until full (also fills up friend's list) or mute the normal speech tab in options.

Friends list needs to be extended. I could blacklist 200 bots in 2 days lol.
    Kensamaofmari
    edited December 18, 2020
    Amaraz wrote: »

Friends list needs to be extended. I could blacklist 200 bots in 2 days lol.

This would be nice. I think also a button like us being able to destroy expired item to clear an entire list as well so we're not doing it one by one.
  • AmarazAmaraz
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,735
    Or moderators could just do some walk bys and Ban them :D
  • Atheist42Atheist42
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,680
    Helsa wrote: »
    In other words I think Nexon is doing this already but cleansing action probably takes place weekly, rather than instantaneously.

I have similar suspicions. But I never notice my blacklist getting smaller. So while I suspect Nexon is deleting spammers' accounts, I suspect those deleted accounts are living on in our blacklists, where they should be automatically deleted.

Yeah, I know. My post is high on speculation and low on facts.
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited January 1, 2021
    Atheist42 wrote: »
    Helsa wrote: »
    In other words I think Nexon is doing this already but cleansing action probably takes place weekly, rather than instantaneously.

I have similar suspicions. But I never notice my blacklist getting smaller. So while I suspect Nexon is deleting spammers' accounts, I suspect those deleted accounts are living on in our blacklists, where they should be automatically deleted.

Yeah, I know. My post is high on speculation and low on facts.

This is actually a very thought provoking post. If you have a character friended and that character gets deleted then do they disappear from your list? As for banning, it would not surprise me that even for "permanent" banning it's self, that it does NOT actually involved deleting data. The amount of storage a character, or even an account, takes up is probably not that big. Given how cheap storage is, I suspect Nexon's legal department advises just locking access rather than destroying data.