Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

New Skill: Tanning.

HelsaHelsa
Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
in Feedback and Suggestions
Tanning, in this case: the process of using tanic acid to turn bovine skin into commercial leather. The skill would be like carpentry or metal conversion where more lower ranked leather can be turned into less higher ranked leather.

Helsa0151 of Alexina
KensamaofmariHipal

Comments

• IyasenuIyasenu
    Mabinogi Rep: 24,265
    Ha, this is a neat idea.

It reminds me of the upcoming Magigraphy Talent.
    One of the things you need to make magigraphs is parchment, and this is made from leathers.
    There's 4 recipes, all making the same parchment, but the materials required are the four qualities of leathers, with the lower-tier leathers requiring more to make the parchment.
    1 Parchment = 20 Cheap Leather OR 10 Common Leather OR 5 Fine Leather OR 2 Finest Leather.

With each tier requiring ~half the leather as the previous one.
    So if Tanning were a thing, upgrading leather could have a cost of 2 leather into a better one.
    Though if it were like metal conversion this could start higher and decrease so as to increase efficiency as the skill itself were ranked.

Though I also think it would be neat if enemies could drop untanned hides that you can use to create leathers, maybe randomly like weaving fabric/silk or something like requiring different materials for a higher grade leather. (like Cheap/Common/Fine/Finest Hides)
    Like adding leather creation to the skill's ability of upgrading existing leathers.

Well anyways, such a concept would probably synergize with Ingredient Hunting's leather drops, too.
  • NemesisNemesis
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,005
    I came here expecting a talent about tanning our skins.
    KensamaofmarivamprynCrimsọn
  • HelsaHelsa
    Nemesis wrote: »

Well, I mean, technically it is, but"our skins" can have different meanings.
    Atheist42
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    But would people be happy that may disrupt the current system of leather? Or does it devalue the higher tier leather? People would just farm cheap and common leather to produce fine and finest leather.

Or should it be change drops to raw hides and we have to convert the hides to leather by tanning.

Also, since it will be its own skill, will it require a separate tool?
  • HelsaHelsa
    But would people be happy that may disrupt the current system of leather? Or does it devalue the higher tier leather? People would just farm cheap and common leather to produce fine and finest leather.

Or should it be change drops to raw hides and we have to convert the hides to leather by tanning.

I think only the suppliers would complain. Mind you, if leather is how you've decided to make a living in Mabinogi, well, God Bless you then. As for how it would be used, maybe it can use a prop.
  • Momma_SophieMomma_Sophie
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,575
    Cool idea.
    They'll RNG the tanic acid material needed to perform the conversion. Then, that will become the new "thing" to sell, regarding leathers. :^))
    Helsa wrote: »

I think only the suppliers would complain. Mind you, if leather is how you've decided to make a living in Mabinogi, well, God Bless you then. As for how it would be used, maybe it can use a prop.

I'm not necessarily talking about the suppliers, but rather it becoming more roundabout. I personally don't mind more crafting skills to produce mats.

Also this skill should allow us to combine the leathers with other mats like ancient beast hide to get a whole new mat that can be used to make new equips.
  • HelsaHelsa

I'm not necessarily talking about the suppliers, but rather it becoming more roundabout. I personally don't mind more crafting skills to produce mats.

Also this skill should allow us to combine the leathers with other mats like ancient beast hide to get a whole new mat that can be used to make new equips.

o4lINzu.jpg
    Kensamaofmari

o4lINzu.jpg

Failed skill quotes
    "You cut the hide so badly, the beggar in Emain Macha gave you 1000 gold to buy new clothes."
    "The tanning failed, now the whole town stinks."
  • HelsaHelsa
    Bump
  • nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,870
    - Might require a tweak of the Leather item descriptions.
    - Will probably involve multiple steps, each requiring different tools and materials

Step 1 - Curing
    * Drying Rack (Public tool)
    * Salt (Material)
    Fresh hide -> Cured hide

Step 2 - Trimming
    * Scraping Beam (Public tool)
    * Fleshing Knife (Right hand/Two hand tool)
    Cured hide -> Clean Hide

Step 3 - Tanning
    * Tanning Pit (Public tool)
    * Vegetable Tannin (Material)
    Clean Hide -> Raw Hide

Step 4 - Softening
    * Stretching Rack (Public tool)
    * Setting Pin (Right hand/Two hand tool)
    * Softening Grease (Material)
    Raw Hide -> Leather

(And even this is an oversimplification of the IRL process.)
  • HelsaHelsa
    If they do it that way and it gives us the skill then I don't mind. But my guess is that it would have a single prop and a single tool: maybe a rack and whatever is used to apply tannin. After all, in Mabinogi, they've simplified carpentry down to a bench and a planer. Using a planer is like whittling but with more frou frou.
  • LoomyOfPiLoomyOfPi
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,375

As did I, expecting an amusing post. And I was thinking of how the graphic of Cowenna on the login screen has her depicted with light skin, but in game she's tanned.
  • HelsaHelsa
    LoomyOfPi wrote: »

As did I, expecting an amusing post. And I was thinking of how the graphic of Cowenna on the login screen has her depicted with light skin, but in game she's tanned.

She gussied up for the graphic; she uses a LOT of foundation.