Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Rapier Talent/Class

AmarazAmaraz
Mabinogi Rep: 2,745
in Feedback and Suggestions
A great way to update elvs. A rapier class based on dex and int, it would work similarly to Lances (which also need more skills by the way but that's for another post) Rapiers would have a large penetration stat like lances as to balance the gap between elf and giant. So until longbows can have 9 piercing when fully upgraded, (I'm excluding crossbows because why NOT include longbows??? Why is the only option for penetration on an elf a divine crossbow?)

Fully upgraded rapier with 9 penetration, a parry skill similar to lance counter, and a fast hitting skill much like Final Hit that only elvs can use (I can hear the humans screaming right now lmao) Yes I'm implying that Final Shot is nowhere near as good as Final Hit and elvs need a combat skill that hits as fast as FH can. And this class could be the thing that does that. Thank you for time.
Sherri
  1. Would you like to see a Rapier class?8 votes
    1. Yes
       88% (7 votes)
    2. No
       13% (1 vote)
    3. I dont know
       0% (0 votes)

Comments

• HishimaHishima
    Mabinogi Rep: 810
    Have to agree here. Elves definitely need something on par with final hit that's not so connection based. Final shot is just laughable so I'm all for new talents that or skills that could make them a more desirable race. Some would argue chain is that but it's useable by every race, this is mainly for something elves can use exclusively akin to final strike.
    Sherri
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    I'd definitely love to see rapier get it's own talent. I'd be ok with it having it's own warrior skill set too, but a new talent is preferred. :>
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    edited December 18, 2020
    On the bow part, I agree also.
    And rapiers definitely a yes.
  • NemesisNemesis
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,005
    What damage gap?

Only giants who do more damage than I do are the ones with perseus
  • Momma_SophieMomma_Sophie
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,575
    edited December 19, 2020
    nomigid15 wrote: »

Ngl, I don't think either thread has perfect ideas in it (yours is very realistic, but remember that this is Mabinogi), yet your thread has stuff in it that makes way more sense and more consideration put into it than "give elves their own version of lance, except it's quicker, lighter, and also can work like human's Final Hit because I don't like crossbows."

A rapier class sounds nice and I do like the sound of using dex and int for damage calculations, but these other concepts are clearly biased towards simple racial dominance and/or roleplaying, rather than alleged "balance (tm)."

Let's be more moderate and reasonable.

There's functions we can draw from and improve upon. For example:

The talent could have a skill -- something like Chain Burst where you could activate an innate magical power that is channeled into the rapier and would scale rapier damage based off of Magic Attack. This would even allow some magic users to have another way to deal combat damage without needing to solely use spells. Plus, elves are magically inclined. This has lore relevance as well.

There's a possibility that we could use the defensive nature of the rapier by implementing a skill that would work similarly to a Giant's Wind Guard, but with obvious changes to reflect the talent -- there could be a skill that creates a parrying barrier of magical rapiers that raises Protection and gives the character inherent evasion (like what we see when Dual Gun bullets and Bow Arrows sometimes miss us) to many attacks.

Movement could simply be Evasion skill. I don't see why that wouldn't be used in a rapier talent, but maybe add a twist to it when holding the rapier -- like creating illusions that draw aggro.

Maybe a skill that stabs in particular weak points to induce a status of reduced Protection and Defense for a period of time. Maybe Magic Defense and Protection, so magic spells can hit harder.

Maybe a skill that allows us to temporarily imbue the sword with a life of its own, allowing it to fight alongside us for a time and deal extra DPS while we use another weapon, similar to the puppets, except actually useful.

There's probably something we could do that utilizes Shyllien and/or Hillwen as materials and introduce a rapier with a set effect that raises critical damage or works like the Divine Tribolt in allowing bolt-casting (chain-casted bolts? idk).

Moderation, folks.
    Sherri
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,615
    Ooooh so like a spellblade class :O I'd definitely like that
  • AmarazAmaraz
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,745
    nomigid15 wrote: »

Ngl, I don't think either thread has perfect ideas in it (yours is very realistic, but remember that this is Mabinogi), yet your thread has stuff in it that makes way more sense and more consideration put into it than "give elves their own version of lance, except it's quicker, lighter, and also can work like human's Final Hit because I don't like crossbows."

A rapier class sounds nice and I do like the sound of using dex and int for damage calculations, but these other concepts are clearly biased towards simple racial dominance and/or roleplaying, rather than alleged "balance (tm)."

Let's be more moderate and reasonable.

There's functions we can draw from and improve upon. For example:

The talent could have a skill -- something like Chain Burst where you could activate an innate magical power that is channeled into the rapier and would scale rapier damage based off of Magic Attack. This would even allow some magic users to have another way to deal combat damage without needing to solely use spells. Plus, elves are magically inclined. This has lore relevance as well.

There's a possibility that we could use the defensive nature of the rapier by implementing a skill that would work similarly to a Giant's Wind Guard, but with obvious changes to reflect the talent -- there could be a skill that creates a parrying barrier of magical rapiers that raises Protection and gives the character inherent evasion (like what we see when Dual Gun bullets and Bow Arrows sometimes miss us) to many attacks.

Movement could simply be Evasion skill. I don't see why that wouldn't be used in a rapier talent, but maybe add a twist to it when holding the rapier -- like creating illusions that draw aggro.

Maybe a skill that stabs in particular weak points to induce a status of reduced Protection and Defense for a period of time. Maybe Magic Defense and Protection, so magic spells can hit harder.

Maybe a skill that allows us to temporarily imbue the sword with a life of its own, allowing it to fight alongside us for a time and deal extra DPS while we use another weapon, similar to the puppets, except actually useful.

There's probably something we could do that utilizes Shyllien and/or Hillwen as materials and introduce a rapier with a set effect that raises critical damage or works like the Divine Tribolt in allowing bolt-casting (chain-casted bolts? idk).

Moderation, folks.

Mabi will try to balance it however they do, but I think the majority of us just want to see an attempt. And if you're like me, you like to brainstorm even if it's not practical, I wouldn't know, I'm not a Nexon Staff or Mabinogi creator lol. But yea I like all the ideas that people come up with! Hopefully Nexon will listen to them.
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    Would a rapier talent class or fencer have more reach with the weapon?
    Idk if it is just me, but mobs like shadow/bone lancers seem to have further reach with their weapons.
    If they do, I would like to see that for rapier users.
    Amaraz