Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Need Pet Advice

EleclaireEleclaire
Mabinogi Rep: 1,050
edited December 31, 2020 in General Chat
Is it worth it to purchase a Wiz Corgi? (Prices range from 60m-90m)
I'm looking for a solid pet for Divine Link. I already have the Ceranus and Patrasche and they both work really well. I've heard great things about the Corgi and that it's also the best pet to Fynn Sync.
  1. Should I buy the Wiz Corgi?7 votes
    1. Yes, it's totally worth it!
       86% (6 votes)
    2. Not that great...
       14% (1 vote)

Comments

• CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Yes.
  • Gaby5011Gaby5011
    Mabinogi Rep: 5,965
    Yes. Especially if you're a mage.
  • CaissaCaissa
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,175
    It's absolutely worth it if you are primarily a mage (or alchemist). The Wizard Corgi has an aura that debuffs the Magic Def/Prot of nearby enemies over time. It's currently the only pet in the game that has a Magic Def/Prot debuff.

If you don't do magical damage, then your Ceraunus should be good enough, or you may want one of the other Corgi versions instead.
    Amaraz
  • AmarazAmaraz
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,735
    Caissa wrote: »
    It's absolutely worth it if you are primarily a mage (or alchemist). The Wizard Corgi has an aura that debuffs the Magic Def/Prot of nearby enemies over time. It's currently the only pet in the game that has a Magic Def/Prot debuff.

If you don't do magical damage, then your Ceraunus should be good enough, or you may want one of the other Corgi versions instead.

Agreed, the debuff the wizard corgi gives is unlike any other pet. Only a wizard corgi can do that debuff. My general rule of thumb for if a pet is worth it or not, in order of importance is:

1. what kind of debuff can it do to the enemy
    2. what kind of buff can it do for me / allies
    3. how fast is it
    4. how small is it (because large pets take up alot of the screen and feel cumbersome)
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Amaraz wrote: »
    4. how small is it (because large pets take up alot of the screen and feel cumbersome)

Get a bigger screen. :trollface:
    Ctrl to select your target is your best friend.
  • GypsySpiritGypsySpirit
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,340
    Wiz corgi is cute, just get it for that reason.
  • LyniLyni
    Mabinogi Rep: 845
    It's up to you! Here's some math in case you care.

The Corgi Wizard debuff removes 6-10 magic protection (10 at level 3). If the enemy only has 10 magic protection like Advanced Doppelganger in SCC it's a 10-20% damage increase. If the enemy has 125 protection like Black Dragon** it's a 3-10% damage increase.

A few alternative damage multipliers come to mind:
    * Hydra Transmutation shreds 18 magic prot (28 total with echostone reforge) but only has 50% uptime w/o the master title
    * Rosemary gloves boost your damage by 13%
    * A level 20 Ice Mastery plain-or-echostone reforge will boost your damage by another 7.7% (this is 8.7% if you don't have rosemary)

Wizard Corgi's debuff is weaker than Hydra but ramps up stronger than the reforge. The Corgi debuff is less mobile than the reforge (whose range is "whatever you can slap") but more mobile than Hydra as long as you can hug the boss.

Is it worth 60-90m? If you really want to maximize your end-game magic damage, already have rosemary gloves/LoTS/reforges, already weave Hydra in your rotation or are too lazy to try, and either already have or refuse to invest in level 20 elemental mastery reforges in your magic damage progression, then yes.

I would personally try to work for the alternatives listed above before spending 60-90m on a Wizard Corgi.

**No you can't summon pets near this guy and yes he has 125 physical prot but I wanted to give an example of something tanky.
  • Pip-BoyPip-Boy
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,760
    The debuff won't make much of a difference IMO. Magic melts everything easier than Phantasm and you won't be stopping long enough for the debuff to take hold. In feth enemies have such high magic protection and defense that players forgo magic altogether and instead rely on physical damage. If you're waiting for the magic debuff to tank hold then you are simply slowing everyone down. It's a sad state of affairs for magic players but that's the way it is.