Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Starting Fresh need some help.

ShufflinShufflin
Mabinogi Rep: 1,210
in General Chat
I have a few questions that will help me get started first my play style would be archery and use a sword and shield as a back up when things get bad. I don’t care for 2 handed weapons i always been more of a defensive type of player.

I do plan on spending money rarely but on cosmetics,pets,or w/e else is useful. I never do gachapon ever but reforge the chances are very low buying these but my reason for even considering this is just for if i need $$$ for basic things.

As the future goes i would branch out on other talents If i get bored I’m a casual i don’t care for big numbers all that much and never bother with enchanting and gear socket stuff on games since its more if a headache to me. lol

Well by the description and question i gave it boils down to Human or Elf.

1. If i want to spend NX what’s good for a new player to get?

2. Will human do just fine with a crossbow or should i use a elf?

3. Usage of Arrow revolver and Final shot do people use these and are they strong skills?

4.Is the damage difference from elf compared to human very noticable? I plan on using 1h swords with a shield.

5.How will i make decent gold starting out? I would like to start refining as soon as possible.
    No results for this poll

Comments

• TimefallTimefall
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,505
    1) If you're going to spend NX, one of the most useful things you can buy would be VIP service (or Premium Service). As another option, you can purchase the Essential Erinn Pack, listed in shop under "Pets" -> "Pet Packages". It comes with VIP service and a few powerful pets. You can obtain the same pets for free in the game, but having extras wouldn't hurt. Other than this, there's nothing very useful for a new player to spend NX on. Most of the pets in the shop aren't very useful, and almost all of the powerful pets are obtainable in game, or from events.

2) Humans can use a crossbow just fine. Human is recommended for beginners because they're well-balanced, and can use almost any weapon. Elves can become better at archery once you get later in the game, but there's many things they aren't good at, and many weapons they can't use. You can't change race once a character is made, but you can have more than one character if you want to play different races.

3) Arrow Revolver's nice, and makes archery easier because of the fast loading and aiming. Final Shot is completely useless. Pretend it doesn't exist. (Elves' main skill for archery is called Vision of Ladeca, and it's what makes them a bit better than humans, along with they're faster cooldowns.)

4) Elves will have much better archery damage, as they fire two arrows at once and their skill cooldowns for some archery skills are much lower. Humans aim faster though, making it more likely to hit targets. Elves have very low strength and defense early game. They die easily, don't have as many armor options, and have low melee damage. If you intend to use sword and shield at all, human will be a much better option early-game. Elves can become about as good as a human with sword+shield late game, but humans can use two swords instead, and are far far more powerful. I highly recommend starting as a human.

5) Almost all life skill materials sell well, even ones that are easy to get. A common recommendation for making gold right after starting is to complete Church part-time jobs every 36 minutes to earn Holy Water. People buy it often and it sells for a decent price for a beginner. If you advance life skills further, you can gather and sell other materials for much higher profits. However, one of the best methods for making money will always be events. Most events either give you rewards you can sell, or require people to gather items, which they buy. Event Prizes usually earn plenty of gold, especially if you wait until the event is over to sell them.
    Bronzebreak
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    edited February 9, 2021
    I would wait till November to get vip. It will be half off by then and you can get a whole year. Saves a lot of money; 178.80/year vs. 89.40/year - which is the price it should be always. But alas it's not so last year I decided to start buying a whole year during the black friday sales.

I bought 13 months last year so that way there are no gaps from now and until the next sale. Not gonna lose my guild stone spots. :trollface:
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Shufflin wrote: »
    I have a few questions that will help me get started first my play style would be archery and use a sword and shield as a back up when things get bad. I don’t care for 2 handed weapons i always been more of a defensive type of player.

I do plan on spending money rarely but on cosmetics,pets,or w/e else is useful. I never do gachapon ever but reforge the chances are very low buying these but my reason for even considering this is just for if i need $$$ for basic things.

As the future goes i would branch out on other talents If i get bored I’m a casual i don’t care for big numbers all that much and never bother with enchanting and gear socket stuff on games since its more if a headache to me. lol

Well by the description and question i gave it boils down to Human or Elf.

My understanding is that in Korea archery is the bomb but here folks tend to complain about it. If what you like is range attacks, there are other choices in Mabinogi, although I believe archery is the longest range (except for maybe meteor strike skill). Closer to ten years ago this game was like traditional swords and sorcery games where folks used swords and so on, but a lot has been introduced since then and veteran players tend to use other things. Bare in mind with Mabinogi it is very much a ask 100 people get a hundred answers kinda game. I'm a defensive player myself, if you are on Alexina, I could spend a gaming session with you showing you some basic skill use ideas. Just for more synergy, I too am building myself up first THEN pursuing upgrades and so on, so I might have some pointers on how to make a living with off-the-shelf crap.

As for race, elves are probably best for most player versus environment, since they can Hyrda/Hide. This is slow and boring but effective. I would caveat that some of the latest end-game content has elven players seemingly more upset than others. Humans have the widest range of weapons available to them and their final hit skill is very good. I understand that giants are out of the consideration for you; I'll try not to hold it against you. :)

If character development is primary for you, before equipment, then remember to visit Duncan often so he can lower you skills back down to F. This does two things: it lowers your combat power which makes the training of some skills MUCH easier, and, since your AP are returned to you, it's a means of borrowing AP from yourself. If you're going to do this save mastering and danning skills until after you have gotten everything to rank 1.
    1. If i want to spend NX what’s good for a new player to get?

I would actually wait, until you are more familiar with the game; then it should be obvious. The game gives you a couple free pets early on; although they have no inventory, but one of them flies.
    2. Will human do just fine with a crossbow or should i use a elf?

I do know some humans that use crossbow. Mostly archers use bows since they are farther ranged.
    3. Usage of Arrow revolver and Final shot do people use these and are they strong skills?

Arrow revolver is good because its just ptoik-hit ptoik-hit ptoik-hit ptoik-hit ptoik-hit . Whereas people complain about final shot. Elves do have Mirage Missile, which is a nice skill although not fast acting.
    4.Is the damage difference from elf compared to human very noticeable? I plan on using 1h swords with a shield.

Humans have higher strength than elves, whereas elves have higher dexterity. Elves will do more consistent damage with a sword but humans will chop harder; humans can also duel wield swords, elves can't
    5.How will i make decent gold starting out? I would like to start refining as soon as possible.

Decent gold for what? The markets in Mabinogi are very much stratified. Commerce is boring and takes a little bit of time to get going but can pay reasonably well. On the other hand if you want high-end stuff, it won't cut the mustard. Mind you nothing will for a starting out player unless they are willing to turn real world money into Mabi-gold by, say, buying things from the web-shop and selling them in-game.
    Bronzebreak