Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Why can't you...

ManhiemManhiem
Mabinogi Rep: 565
edited March 7, 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions
Use Martial Arts skills without equipping knuckles? How are they different from Windmill, Smash, Assault Slash, etc., all of which can be performed without the use of a weapon?

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    And you can do magic bolts without a wand. Or why can you do counter attack, windmill, (I think) assault slash while holding a bow/crossbow/atlatl (with no ammunition), but not smash or normal attack.

From a logical point of view it's a good question. Knuckles used to be a giants-only weapon, and it was just another weapon. Although with it's five-hit normal attack it was the best normal attack back then, without duel wielding. I used to use knuckles even before fighter.

The real answer is because they wanted to make a talent based on knuckles and they want to incorporate Kung Fu into the game. So, they brought these two ideas together. I realise that doesn't answer the logical conundrums, but that's why they did it that way.
    Sherri
  • PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    Honestly I'm surprised they don't have an "invisible" skin for knuckles yet.
  • nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,870
    Maybe it should be a passive skill (Tough Knuckle) that you obtain by repeatedly punching in-game objects enough times.
  • ManhiemManhiem
    Mabinogi Rep: 565
    Thanks, Helsa. :-)

You're right, it doesn't answer the logical conundrums, but it never hurts to learn a little more about the history of the game. I think that Martial Arts was the new talent about the time I started playing (late 2014?)

I had no idea that knuckles were a giant-only weapon at first. If they had already started work on the Martial Arts talent, and then decided to make knuckles available to all races, that might account for references that I have read stating that Martial Arts was "bare knuckle" or "empty hand", when it is really neither of those things.