Check out the patch notes for the June 10th update: https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/67158/patch-notes-june-10-2021
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Harvest Song gathering speed

HowdoHowdo
Mabinogi Rep: 200
Posts: 6
Member
in Help
Sorry if dis is a stupid question, but how exactly does Harvest Song work?

I have it at rank 1 and it says it boosts my gathering speed by 25%, yet when I gather eggs from chickens or pick my herb pig I am still slow. I don't notice any difference. Am I missing something?

Comments

  • aelyssaelyss
    Mabinogi Rep: 760
    Posts: 16
    Member
    Here's a stupid answer: Harvest Song isn't passive. You have to use it with an instrument or microphone (or voice if > r5 Song), then switch to bare hands (or a harvesting tool) to harvest while it is active (leaves bellowing up from the ground by your feet). You don't have to wait for the song to end to begin gathering.

    You probably already knew that if you're rank 1 though. I told you it was a stupid answer.
    Howdo
  • CamelliarCamelliar
    Mabinogi Rep: 510
    Posts: 8
    Member
    I've noticed this too. Why is it soooo slow O____O
    Howdo
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,350
    Posts: 652
    Member
    edited April 14
    Nah, it's there. Since it's a percentage, you can imagine it's speeding up the gathering animation slightly. It's more noticeable at higher percentages.

    There's a formula on the skill's Wiki page that you can use to determine gathering speed with the skill and then compare it. You can find the base gathering times across the different Life Skills here or on the respective skill pages. Be sure to account for deductions based on rank.

    EDIT: Tch, it's speed. I meant speed. :D

    P.S. Gathering eggs/herbs will feel slower when you realize Bare Hands don't have upgrades like the tools.
    HowdoBronzebreak
  • HowdoHowdo
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    Posts: 6
    Member
    Thx to all, good to know. So I saw dis guy harvesting at AN AMAZING speed, which is why i thought to level up harvest song. But it doesn't even come close to what he was capable of.

    How was he able to do this? Just upgrade tools? Or is there like a secret way to speed up gathering skills that none of us know about? I'd like to learn the secret, please.

    And do you always have to switch back and forth from your instrument to bare hands/gathering tool? Just wondering, cuz it costs a lot of time to do this, and with rank 1 harvest song there doesn't seem to be a big difference in gathering rate.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 20,010
    Posts: 4,132
    Member
    edited April 15
    Howdo wrote: »
    Sorry if dis is a stupid question, but how exactly does Harvest Song work?

    I have it at rank 1 and it says it boosts my gathering speed by 25%, yet when I gather eggs from chickens or pick my herb pig I am still slow. I don't notice any difference. Am I missing something?

    I use it all the time. My sing skill is above rank 5 so I can just sing microphoneless. So what I do is, I sing I gather. Pets can improve gathering as well. If gathering speed is really slow to begin with it might be hard to notice whether you are getting an improvement. Since chickens move all the time, if you have to move, that might 'reset the timer' making it harder to tell. Since your herb pig can be made to sit down, try not using harvest song and time how long it takes to say gather 10 herbs in a one-after-another fashion. Just keep rapid firing that mouse button. Then compare it with using Harvest song.

    EDIT: here's an online stop watch that I use.
    https://www.online-stopwatch.com/
  • aelyssaelyss
    Mabinogi Rep: 760
    Posts: 16
    Member
    Fluorette wrote: »
    P.S. Gathering eggs/herbs will feel slower when you realize Bare Hands don't have upgrades like the tools.

    Upgradeable harvesting gloves for eggs / herbs would be a very nice thing. Wishful thinking.
    Bronzebreak
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,350
    Posts: 652
    Member
    Howdo wrote: »
    Thx to all, good to know. So I saw dis guy harvesting at AN AMAZING speed, which is why i thought to level up harvest song. But it doesn't even come close to what he was capable of.

    How was he able to do this? Just upgrade tools? Or is there like a secret way to speed up gathering skills that none of us know about? I'd like to learn the secret, please.

    And do you always have to switch back and forth from your instrument to bare hands/gathering tool? Just wondering, cuz it costs a lot of time to do this, and with rank 1 harvest song there doesn't seem to be a big difference in gathering rate.

    What were they gathering? If they were using a tool, it could be the tool's speed upgrades. It could also be Harvest Song, a title that boosts gathering speed (like Ruwai 2nd title), music buffs, a gathering speed potion, or all of the above.

    I use a mix of all the above (minus the gathering speed potion). My Harvest Song grants a 32% (at the minimum) - 42% (at the maximum) increase, but I honestly don't remember where I'm getting the buff effects from.

    Nope! If you have a high ranked Song, then you can use Harvest Song with occupied hands. It's much more convenient than switching back and forth with an instrument.
    Howdo
  • HowdoHowdo
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    Posts: 6
    Member
    Thanks, I think they were using a different skill than harvest song, but they were gathering wool one right after another, super quickly. My harvest song is at 25% but I don't see any noticeable difference. I want to gather fast so I can do the silvervine quest in the future, but I don't know how to. I remember ppl using rain casting, or harvest song but I'm rank 1 harvest song and can't see the difference in speed :(
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,350
    Posts: 652
    Member
    edited April 20
    Howdo wrote: »
    Thanks, I think they were using a different skill than harvest song, but they were gathering wool one right after another, super quickly. My harvest song is at 25% but I don't see any noticeable difference. I want to gather fast so I can do the silvervine quest in the future, but I don't know how to. I remember ppl using rain casting, or harvest song but I'm rank 1 harvest song and can't see the difference in speed :(

    In my previous post, I forgot to mention that there's gathering speed reforge effects as well.

    I think Phantasmal Sight may be what you're referring to? I have not yet unlocked Techniques so I am unable to comment on it. If you scroll down just a bit, it'll tell you how to obtain the Technique.

    Rain casting is not related to speed, for gathering it allows you to gather more while you're underneath the cloud.
  • aelyssaelyss
    Mabinogi Rep: 760
    Posts: 16
    Member
    Howdo wrote: »
    Thanks, I think they were using a different skill than harvest song, but they were gathering wool one right after another, super quickly. My harvest song is at 25% but I don't see any noticeable difference. I want to gather fast so I can do the silvervine quest in the future, but I don't know how to. I remember ppl using rain casting, or harvest song but I'm rank 1 harvest song and can't see the difference in speed :(

    A gathering knife fully upgraded for speed is very fast. I would guess that's what you saw.
  • HowdoHowdo
    Mabinogi Rep: 200
    Posts: 6
    Member
    Ah ok, I bet that's what I saw then, a gathering knife or phantasmal sight. I will have to try to get into that technique. Thanks for the responses, they helped me out quite a bit :)