Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Dan Test Revamp

RaintheswordRainthesword
Mabinogi Rep: 1,905
in Feedback and Suggestions
The nature of the Dan Test require the rng of spawning and aggro to be in your favour for certain ones such as Charge and for your latency to be extremely good, this is because of skills responding as intended for those with good latency often being the fools that remark to get good.

My suggestions are that you try running the Dan Tests yourself on 300 ping and than make the adjustments to the timer, point rewards.
My alternative suggest is you remove this content that is affective barred because of rng and latency.

Don't get me wrong, certain skills are easier but what's the point if you can't complete the whole list because the game was designed with a Korean infrastructure in mind, but I assume the NA team has limited control so if you must forward the request/demand to your Korean Overlords with your fastest ravens please.
Amourea
  1. Do you think the Dan Tests need revamping?8 votes
    1. Yes
       100% (8 votes)
    2. No
       0% (0 votes)

Comments

• DelitusDelitus
    Mabinogi Rep: 915
    Ignoring latency and obvious balancing issues among tests, the biggest problem is that you get punished for your best attempts by getting locked out of further attempts for a day, when you fall just short of the required SS grade for Dan 3. It is made worse by the fact that there are many other factors which you have little-to-no control over, yet have significant impact on the outcome of the test, such as the aforementioned latency differences, RNG, and skill-specific bugs (such as the various 'quirks' of Charge). Grades below SS will not allow you to make progress anyway, so what even is the point of passing these? How did this entire mess receive sign-off during play tests?

Either:
    - Change the Dan tests to only consider the best-achieved grade for the day, while removing the 'one-pass-per-day' limit, OR
    - Adjust the 'passing' criteria for Dan 2 and Dan 3 tests, OR
    - Change the requirement weightings to alternatively allow multiple lower grades to substitute a higher one - e.g. 8 S ranks instead of a single SS rank.

There are plenty of viable solutions that could address this unnecessary source of frustration. I would just like to see something get implemented.
    Amourea
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    edited June 6, 2021
    I just wish we didn't have to pass the test twice per dan level. It's like GREAT YOU PASSED but tomorrow YOU GOTTA DO IT AGAIN. Please get rid of that.
  • DelitusDelitus
    Mabinogi Rep: 915
    Personally, I have no issues with having to pass twice. What I do have issues with is the game stopping me from trying for a higher grade when I end up with a marginal "passing" grade. If the grade I receive will not help me progress to the next Dan, then it should not be considered a pass, and by extension, should not prevent me from further attempts for an actual passing grade.
  • Momma_SophieMomma_Sophie
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,575
    edited June 14, 2021
    I mean, I somewhat agree with Delitus.

However, you could always just exit the test before the timer runs out and re-try.
    Nothing's forcing you to let the test end with your score sitting under the necessary threshold for the grade you need. The point system has been consistent in that you need 12k points for SS Dan 3. If you see that you won't reach it, just restart. I generally end the test if my points aren't above 6k by the 2:30 mark.

Ping problems are ping problems. I think the tests could be designed so that this is taken into consideration. In fact, a lot of the game's combat features do convert ping into DPS, like Final Hit and Pet spam tactics, to a degree of dependency rather than convenience. The Dan Tests lean too much into it, I agree. I don't have a personal stake in seeing yet another Dan Test revamp, but I'm not against one happening.

I'll suggest that the Tests aim more towards optimal use of a skill; turn it into a mechanical knowledge test that emphasizes clever usage of skills, like a puzzle. For example, Ice Spear: Freeze an enemy at a certain position to ignite a chain reaction that defeats a specific boss enemy that cannot be directly hit with Ice Spear and also has Advanced Heavy Stander and Mana Deflector (so that people can learn how Mana Deflector actually benefits Ice Spear tactics); randomize the positions of the enemies and randomize enemy types (like a mixture of fodder enemies that can and cannot be frozen by Ice Spear).

• CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    I'm glad I don't have to worry about this anymore. I'm done with all my dans.

Solution: Advancement Seals. :smirk: