Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

An unwritten rule of the internet.

HelsaHelsa
Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
in Town Square
In an internet discussion, whoever has the last post is correct, and more importantly is winning, regardless of what has been said and the logic or truthfulness behind it and all previous statements; all that matters is having the last word. Put this way it sounds absurd but isn't this exactly how people actually behave?
  1. Whether they know it or not, people only care about the last word.7 votes
    1. Well DUH, tell me something I didn't know!
       57% (4 votes)
    2. No, people are better than that.
       43% (3 votes)

Comments

• LunabeeLunabee
    Mabinogi Rep: 930
    A healthy debate is great when it leads to a mutual understanding, but arguments online are usually pointless. Many people are too proud to accept a "loss" during a debate and view the last word as a win. An immature mentality but common nonetheless.

Personally I'll take that "loss" and enjoy all of that not wasted time on something else. :)
  • HelsaHelsa
    Lunabee wrote: »
    A healthy debate is great when it leads to a mutual understanding, but arguments online are usually pointless. Many people are too proud to accept a "loss" during a debate and view the last word as a win. An immature mentality but common nonetheless.

Personally I'll take that "loss" and enjoy all of that not wasted time on something else. :)

It's ironic that the internet was initially envisaged as a place where a healthy dialectic would take place, free of polemics. The thing is, is that so many people see discussions as contests and contests must be won lest one be shown inferior; so their thinking goes. The problem is that now this attitude is no longer contained in the internet alone.
    Lunabee
  • Momma_SophieMomma_Sophie
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,575
    "The problem is that now this attitude is no longer contained in the internet alone."

F.

It's having a clear effect on everyday life. Can confirm.
  • JulieJulie
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,030
    nah bro, do all the murder you have to do, all the fear mongering and manipulation and lying you have to do to meet ends meet, the ends justify the means.... doesnt it..?
  • KelpSodaKelpSoda
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,145
    Julie wrote: »
    nah bro, do all the murder you have to do, all the fear mongering and manipulation and lying you have to do to meet ends meet, the ends justify the means.... doesnt it..?

i posted last so i win bro fat L
  • HelsaHelsa
    The genie is out of the bottle now, but it all began because of internet anonymity. At first this was seen as useful so that folks wouldn't feel unsafe expressing their ideas. The founders of the internet made the mistaken assumption that this would be the means to put forward useful ideas. It was but it was also the means to put forward all other kinds of ideas. You create a no-consequences environment and, well, witness the results.

Before internet, if you wanted to say something to a large audience you wrote a "letter to the editor" of some media outlet with a large distribution; typically a city newspaper. The editor had the option, though, of NOT publishing the letter, so vitriol was kept contained. Letters cost money to send, you have to have paper and a pen. My stars, all the work needed! So, the volume of incoming correspondence was manageable. If you said something face-to-face you ran the risk of getting assaulted. This is why people had better manners in the past; you might get a knuckle sandwich, so good manners were a pragmatic habit to form. Remember that was the day when "Sorry, your Honour, I was drunk", was considered a reasonable defence in law.

Today, to simulate the newspaper editor letter vetting function, you could have moderator approved posting all the time, but a job like that you'd HAVE to pay people for and most discussion sites can't afford it, because you'd need a large enough staff so that the turn-around time isn't so long that it drives people away. That and the fact that folks can set up "freer moderation" discussion sites makes the whole enterprise pointless.

As for the face-to-face business today, that would involve leaving mom's basement. Going, say, to the grocery store rather than just ubering in some food, and so on. "Besides, my clan is all logged in right now. It's dangerous outside anyway. What if I come across someone mean. I don't know how to do an 'Adooken'. Going out means having to shower first; I don't have time for that!"; you get the idea.
  • KelpSodaKelpSoda
    yeah i enjoy a safe place to express myself without fear of getting hate crimed for the most part

ofc theres always kiwifarms but i dont think im important enough for them
    Disagreeing is a hate crime, Helsa.
  • KelpSodaKelpSoda
    edited July 24, 2021
    an irl disagreement for me never ended well so i just keep things to myself, this is a fun fun country

disagree with me on the internet if you want, its amusing since most academia agrees with me lol
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165

I'm the same way, when I know this is not going to go anywhere I drop out with my final words and that's it.
    Lunabee
  • HelsaHelsa

Yeah, it's too bad some people think that way, though it's not entirely surprising some times, what with the amount of vitriolic polemics that quickly enter internet-based conversations and the emotions they can stir. After years of this, people often go straight to DEFCON 1, as a trained defence response.
    edited July 28, 2021
    Nuclear warfare over an opinion. That's actually a hilarious scenario. :joy:
    Oh, wait...

3nlte5.jpg
  • KelpSodaKelpSoda
    Nuclear warfare over an opinion. That's actually a hilarious scenario. :joy:
    Oh, wait...

3nlte5.jpg

aint this ironic
    20210729_132057.jpg
  • LunabeeLunabee
    Crimsọn wrote: »
    I'm the same way, when I know this is not going to go anywhere I drop out with my final words and that's it.

Yup. But I don't usually leave any final thoughts. If it was bad enough it needed a closing statement to announce my departure from the conversation, it was probably way past time for me to spend time elsewhere. I'm sure they'll survive without closure. Lol
  • LunabeeLunabee

But what if they agree to disagree?

But what if they agree to disagree?

Then, they'll all be charged with a hate crime. :)