Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

I think that's it for me.

VenezziaofArcadiaVenezziaofArcadia
Mabinogi Rep: 2,270
in General Chat
Used to be in Mabinogi you could Be Anything. Nowadays though, you are REQUIRED to be EVERYTHING in order to enjoy the latest content. Used to be my Human and Giant Warriors and my Elf Archer could fight their way through anything the mainstream quests threw at them, sometimes with the help of new mechanics, but mostly through their original skills from way back at the start of the game, just applied in a different way. Not any more. The warriors are stymied by the Incubus King's sheer power. The archer is stuck further behind, unable to overcome Mutant Talek's total immunity to ranged attacks. I've stocked up on support items, thought up and practiced new skill combos, leveled up my Fynni pets, and again and again my toons go in resolute and are spit out defeated. The only solution is to go train up other talents and skills, talents and skills in which I have no interest whatsoever.

Never wanted to be a Wizard. Or a Fighter. Or a Cleric. Or a Bard or a Battle Alchemist or a Ninja or a Dorcha-whatever-the-Hey-they're-called. Likewise, I was happy just with a Tailor, a Smith, and an Apothecary, never you mind that they're pretty much useless now (just like all the other Life talents, IMO). But newer mechanics like Techniques and Stardust DEMAND I not only be these all these other things, but have them at maximum rank. That I put in time and effort in things I don't want to spend either on. And that's simply not how I've played the game, and definitely not how I've enjoyed it since 2008.

So it's pretty clear the game's no longer what it was back in the game, and no longer caters to players like me. I think it's pretty darn amazing it managed to entertain me for eleven freaking years, and equally devastating that it has taken away all that joy in a measly two. Some people are of the opinion I should take a break from the game and return after a while, but I'm pretty sure if I left and returned, it would only be to find that my toons are still stuck at the same points, and that in order to progress they will still need to be Grandmaster in all 800 Talents that will be available by then.

I'll ponder this some more until year's end, and maybe try one or two more things against the foes that my toons face, but I'm pretty sure this is my last year in Erinn. Tir Na Nog has simply moved on, and I seem to have been left behind. Pity,
ChoAetherMagykvampryn

Comments

• StormbeastStormbeast
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,300
    I can definitely understand your frustration, but like every long surviving game it has to evolve. The majority of players (who run content, not afk or just socialize) would not be happy without getting new skills or abilities.
    I would like to offer a semi-compromise to your position, just to solve your current dilemma - take a rebirth to train each talent you dont want to be. Even if you never use the skills themselves ever again, just ranking them up offer 2 very valuable things: 1) stat points - these are invaluable at making your characters better with survivability and damage output. 2) options - for example Mutant talek is immune to ranged attacks.....a cheese way you can beat him is simply dropping a Hydra (alchemy) and then hiding until it's time to drop another one. Even in the beginning with Barri adv, there were enemies that couldn't be killed by just 1 talent. Giving players options to deal the same type of damage through different effects isn't a bad thing.

Note: Tailor, Smith, and Apothecary are far from useless as they are demanded for erg breaking unless you buy everything off the AH
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited November 1, 2021
    Usually, each talent will have at least one generally useful skill. Take puppetry for example. Some folks like it a lot and good for them, but even for the rest of us, puppet-crisis is a useful skill as it can clump monsters for a well placed hydra (as mentioned above). Speaking of Hydra there are very very few enemies immune to it, it's a very good skill to have in your back pocket. As for using hydra I'd like to expand on what @Stormbeast said earlier by telling you how I use it, which involves a couple more special skills. In my first slot I have cylinder and guardian shield, in my second a shuriken. Out of agro range I load hydra, I run up and plunk it and, since I don't have large ears, I use Crisis Escape. This kills any agro and makes the monster stand still. I let the skill run it's full course. I have things set so the weapon slots will switch depending on the skills chosen. When Crisis Escape expires I select Shadow Cloak and run out of agro range. This way I'm not agroed and the monster stays put. If you're an elf you just do Hydra then Hide; easy peasy. This is the heart of why so many folks swear by this game; it's not based on classes but skills. This allows you to personalise your style and not be bound by class limitations. Embrace this idea and you will like the game more and go further. But let's address the Elephant in the room, this is a multiplayer game. Some situations are one-player, but for the ones that are not bring people to help. So much of Mabinogi is about getting help. So when it comes to Mabinogi just remember what Thor says, "Get Help!"

mqdefault.jpg
    Sherri
  • SilvariaSilvaria
    Mabinogi Rep: 340
    ok boomer
  • KensamaofmariKensamaofmari
    Mabinogi Rep: 34,745
    I've gotten by with Smash, Assault Slash, Counter, Windmill, Defense for so many years and it's still my main core of combat skills.
    While I do rank up other skill sets from time to time, you can still definitely get by with enough diligence and patience.

And as much as many people like to Solonogi, in the end it's a MMORPG so if there's something that can call for cooperation with others, then that's the way to go.
  • DemoncatDemoncat
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,720
    Used to be in Mabinogi you could Be Anything. Nowadays though, you are REQUIRED to be EVERYTHING in order to enjoy the latest content. Used to be my Human and Giant Warriors and my Elf Archer could fight their way through anything the mainstream quests threw at them, sometimes with the help of new mechanics, but mostly through their original skills from way back at the start of the game, just applied in a different way. Not any more. The warriors are stymied by the Incubus King's sheer power. The archer is stuck further behind, unable to overcome Mutant Talek's total immunity to ranged attacks. I've stocked up on support items, thought up and practiced new skill combos, leveled up my Fynni pets, and again and again my toons go in resolute and are spit out defeated. The only solution is to go train up other talents and skills, talents and skills in which I have no interest whatsoever.

Never wanted to be a Wizard. Or a Fighter. Or a Cleric. Or a Bard or a Battle Alchemist or a Ninja or a Dorcha-whatever-the-Hey-they're-called. Likewise, I was happy just with a Tailor, a Smith, and an Apothecary, never you mind that they're pretty much useless now (just like all the other Life talents, IMO). But newer mechanics like Techniques and Stardust DEMAND I not only be these all these other things, but have them at maximum rank. That I put in time and effort in things I don't want to spend either on. And that's simply not how I've played the game, and definitely not how I've enjoyed it since 2008.

So it's pretty clear the game's no longer what it was back in the game, and no longer caters to players like me. I think it's pretty darn amazing it managed to entertain me for eleven freaking years, and equally devastating that it has taken away all that joy in a measly two. Some people are of the opinion I should take a break from the game and return after a while, but I'm pretty sure if I left and returned, it would only be to find that my toons are still stuck at the same points, and that in order to progress they will still need to be Grandmaster in all 800 Talents that will be available by then.

I'll ponder this some more until year's end, and maybe try one or two more things against the foes that my toons face, but I'm pretty sure this is my last year in Erinn. Tir Na Nog has simply moved on, and I seem to have been left behind. Pity,

You are very disapointing. Sounds like it is completely a you problem, either play the game how it was MEANT TO PLAY or hit the road...

• PolicromaPolicroma
    Mabinogi Rep: 6,730
    The battle you're asking the devs to fight isn't really one they can win.

There must always be something new and shiny for players to chase or the game will die.

Mabi was created around players being able to mix and match as they please. So players do. I was running Kraken Elite with a couple guys, and as one was gathering up the golems, I found myself amused, saying something along the lines of "I don't think this is exactly what the devs had in mind when they came up with this..." My friend replied that the gamers will always figure the most efficient way.

Either way, yes, you are better off leveling up other classes, if for no other reason than increasing your stats. You don't have to be a bard or a mage. You just have to be creative. If you're lazy, just buy up every training potion you can get your hands on and brute force it with piles of AP. Or stack various double-skill-XP potions and items while training skills in cooking dungeon. There's many ways to do this without upending your playstyle for weeks at a time.
    Sherri
  • nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,870
    Latest content? I've felt like dabbling in several Talents is necessary just to handle even early-Gen content, and I still have yet to build up stats capable of getting me through Barri Brown.

(Granted, it's probably because I'm just not any good at probably the two most important skills in this game - socialization and on-the-fly strategizing.)
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,165
    Silvaria wrote: »
    ok boomer

It's totally like me to zero on this comment being the boomer of these forums. :D
  • HelsaHelsa
    Crimsọn wrote: »
    ok boomer

It's totally like me to zero on this comment being the boomer of these forums. :D

Which?
    tutl2w16krw31.png
    or
    maxresdefault.jpg
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    This thread is a Cylon.
  • HelsaHelsa
    By your command.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Helsa wrote: »
    By your command.

Who's the boomer? :D
  • HelsaHelsa
    edited December 8, 2021
    By your command.

Exhibit A:
    ok boomer

Exhibit B.

Exhibit C.

Is this a trick question?
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    By your command.

Exhibit A:
    ok boomer

Exhibit B.

Exhibit C.

Is this a trick question?

I dunno, you tell me Cylon.
  • AetherMagykAetherMagyk
    Mabinogi Rep: 740
    edited December 15, 2021
    Stormbeast wrote: »
    I can definitely understand your frustration, but like every long surviving game it has to evolve. The majority of players (who run content, not afk or just socialize) would not be happy without getting new skills or abilities.
    I would like to offer a semi-compromise to your position, just to solve your current dilemma - take a rebirth to train each talent you dont want to be. Even if you never use the skills themselves ever again, just ranking them up offer 2 very valuable things: 1) stat points - these are invaluable at making your characters better with survivability and damage output. 2) options - for example Mutant talek is immune to ranged attacks.....a cheese way you can beat him is simply dropping a Hydra (alchemy) and then hiding until it's time to drop another one. Even in the beginning with Barri adv, there were enemies that couldn't be killed by just 1 talent. Giving players options to deal the same type of damage through different effects isn't a bad thing.

Note: Tailor, Smith, and Apothecary are far from useless as they are demanded for erg breaking unless you buy everything off the AH

New skills and abilities is necessary, but it should be added without power creep, that comes from stardust, techniques, and other things. Tailoring, blacksmithing, and apocethary being only useful for erg is disrespectful. It's disrespecting life talents and the original way the game is designed. Apothecaries should be able to make potions relevant for healing in end game content, blacksmiths should be able to make end game gear.