Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the 16th Anniversary and VIP Renewal Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/90098/16th-anniversary-and-vip-renewal-patch-notes-march-14th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Reforging System Rework

AlouetteAlouette
Mabinogi Rep: 920
edited March 18, 2022 in Feedback and Suggestions
Yes! I know we recently had a whole reforging system rework, it's what I would expect from a nexon kr rework, but I wondered if a system like this would be possible:

>Firstly, reforges being separated into Precise and Exquisite is fine, free ones earned by gameplay vs cash shop ones, I doubt they'd change that. Exquisite Reforges grant the hope essence that can be traded for max effects or max rank same as always. And both types of Reforges would now also be used to Level Up reforging effects, will explain that next.

>Secondly, the actual way reforges work: Upon reforging an item the randomly acquired effects (1 to 3) would all be at Effect Level 1. Leveling up the effects would require acquiring EXP by performing actions linked to those specific effects, for example, <[Weapon] Mastery> or <[Element] Mastery> would require using the specific weapon type or magic element in combat, <Combo Damage> would gain EXP and level up by using combos, <Dorcha Skill Damage> would gain exp by consuming Dorcha, <Final Hit Cooldown> would increase by using Final Hit, <Blacksmithing EXP> or <Cooking Quality> would require crafting with their respective skills, and <General Stat Effects> like STR, DEX, Max Attack and <Elemental Ice/Fire/Lightning> etc. would require simply attacking anything, just like profficiency.

>Thirdly, the Max Level of any given effect would be determined by the Rank of the item and depending on the hard cap of each effect. For example Max Attack would have caps of 5, 10, 20 at ranks 3, 2, 1 respectively, Elemental Ice/Fire/Lightning would have caps of 2, 4, 6 at ranks 3, 2, 1 respectively, and accesory reforges would be limits of 1, 2 then 3 at ranks 3, 2, 1. (I'll get into Limit Breaks after).

>Fourthly, in order to level up a reforging effect, it needs to be at 100% EXP for it's current level, and a Reforging Tool of any kind must be used to level it up. Reforging tools would have two functions, first is their regular function to reforge items in order to obtain random effects, and in the case of Exquisite Reforges, to rank up and increase the number of effects, and the second function of both types of reforges is to level an effect up.

>Lastly, if the reforged item is at Rank 1 Reforging, an effect that has the possibility of Limit Break will be able to advance. For an effect like Max Attack that has a Limit Break of 25, special requeriments will be needed to level up from Levels 21 to 25, each requiring the current effect level to have 100% accumulated EXP, a number of Hope Essence that increases as the Effect Level increases (5 for Lv20 > 21, 10 for Lv 21 > 22, 15 for Lv22 > 23, etc, for example), and one Exquisite Reforge (cannot use Precise Reforging tools for Limit Break). If needed, a new semi-common material could be added for example to some content like Veteran Dungeons to be required for Limit Break, just as an example of course.

Why a rework like this? I feel that currently reforges are a mechanic that is not only possibly VERY expensive, but deters a lot of players due to the extreme randomness of this upgrade. I feel that streamlining the process of obtaining strong reforges would encourage more people to use this system and increase the demand for reforges thus moving the market even more, while being WAY less frustrating on the players' end. The goal of this suggestion is NOT to decrease the ammount of reforges needed nor to lessen the need of NX reforges, it is to make the system more accessible and interactive. While Precise Reforges can be used to reforge for new effects, rank up, and level up reforging effects up to the Soft Cap (example Lv20 on Max Attack), Exquisite Reforges are still needed to increase the number of reforging effects, greater chance of ranking up, and most importantly, obtaining Hope Essence and Limit Breaking which exclusively requires them. Plus anyone wanting to get a perfect reforge set would still have to deal with the RNG of getting the 3 reforging effects they want (paladin and beast transformation effects are nice am I right? ;-;), and of course, by having to interact with the refoging effects in order to level them up, the feelings of reward for playing the game and steady progression outweight the feeling of gambling for that >1% chance to get the Lv20 Effect after dozens if not hundreds of reforges.
This is of course a suggestion and debate / analysis / critiques are very much wanted! The point of this suggestion is to make the game more open, accessible and enojable for all, that's my only desire uwu.

Had to hit 'em with the unexpected "uwu" after such a serious talk, gottem!

Edit: I'm adding this bit as a disclaimer because I don't know if this is someting Nexon worries about when reading suggestions, I don't particularly want or need any credit if they do decide to use this as a base or model for a reforging rework, Nexon, please by all means go ahead and use it if it's something that catches your attention, I genuinely wish nothing but a better experience for everyone uwu
  1. What is your opinion on this suggestion?1 vote
    1. I think it's a good suggestion, I would love to see it implemented!
       0% (0 votes)
    2. I think it would change the game too much, I'm not comfortable with it.
       0% (0 votes)
    3. Personally, I think the current reforging system is good as it is.
       100% (1 vote)
    4. I [redacted] this suggestion, but I do think the system does need a different change.
       0% (0 votes)
    5. I'm personally indifferent to the reforging system in general.
       0% (0 votes)

Comments

• HankrillonHankrillon
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,485
    This kind of rework would only get the green light if they could make it right about as profitable as it is now, which would in turn mean it has to be stupid grindy, basically another erg system. I think reforges are dumb but with at least having f2p opportunities of acquisition it's completely fine as is, compared to your suggestion anyways. I do think some effects could be outright taken out or adjusted, like transformation max damage should just apply to each race, while rolls like "transformation HP/MP/SP" should be taken out.
    Kagenokami
  • KagenokamiKagenokami
    Mabinogi Rep: 905
    Good in theory but I agree with Hankrillon that it likely would not happen unless it was somehow as profitable if not more profitable for them. I did leave a suggestion on this page not long ago revolving around some changes I feel would be more in-line with securing Nexon profit from reforges while still making reforging more accessible and less grindy if you were to take a look. It is important that folks take to the forums and leave comments/likes to impress upon Nexon that more than just a small handful of folks care.
  • AlouetteAlouette
    Mabinogi Rep: 920
    edited March 23, 2022
    Hankrillon wrote: »
    This kind of rework would only get the green light if they could make it right about as profitable as it is now, which would in turn mean it has to be stupid grindy, basically another erg system. I think reforges are dumb but with at least having f2p opportunities of acquisition it's completely fine as is, compared to your suggestion anyways. I do think some effects could be outright taken out or adjusted, like transformation max damage should just apply to each race, while rolls like "transformation HP/MP/SP" should be taken out.

I don't think I mentioned any chances of effect leveling failure or a % chance of success, I don't see the resemblance to Erg, if anything I made this to be like weapon upgrades via proficiency? The point of this change would be to open the system up for more people who get turned off by the insane rng of reforging, allowing more freedom and variety in reforged equipment in the market and reforging sets, and getting more people INTO the system which would in turn lead to MORE reforge purchases since I made them mandatory in my rework to get gear to their true limits via limit breaking and requiring hope essence, plus giving perfectionists and minmaxers the chance to make perfect gear for which exquisites have a better roll chance. This would also make a lot more people able to run higher content more comfortably and increase the count of content runners to farm for the endgame weapons or just to play the content for fun. To be honest mabi needs to change a lot of its systems if it wants to truly grow, and this update will definitely have challenges in balancing, but it's a positive hurdle to get over.