Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

The Labyrinth

HelsaHelsa
Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
edited April 3, 2022 in Feedback and Suggestions
A mission/dungeon that is a maze with monsters in it like the Labyrinth of Minos. Maybe it's boss can be a Minotaur. If there's such a monster already in the game then an enhanced version of it. Like the game dungeons, have the arrangement of passages change every time it is instantiated, but keep it a proper maze of almost entirely dead ends, have the passageways be narrow and claustrophobic.

Soon to be:
Helsa0151+Alexina of Erinn

Comments

• nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,870
    If there's such a monster already in the game

Good news, there isn't.
  • HelsaHelsa
    nomigid15 wrote: »
    If there's such a monster already in the game

Good news, there isn't.

Awesome! Thanks for the info!
  • ThePravinThePravin
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,380
    This kinda just sounds like the dungeons we already have but doubling back and removing all the QOL improvements.
  • HelsaHelsa
    ThePravin wrote: »
    This kinda just sounds like the dungeons we already have but doubling back and removing all the QOL improvements.

Unless it was some kind of hedge maze it would basically be a dungeon, even then, I guess it'd be like an 'outdoor' dungeon. But this would add the element of solving a maze, rather than strictly being all about combat and drops.
    ThePravin
  • ThePravinThePravin
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,380
    Helsa wrote: »

Unless it was some kind of hedge maze it would basically be a dungeon, even then, I guess it'd be like an 'outdoor' dungeon. But this would add the element of solving a maze, rather than strictly being all about combat and drops.

Like Coil dungeon lol.

And they did used to be a lot more like solving a maze. Then they had there generation tweaked to make them more straightforward have been shortened several times. items added to reveal the maps, maps for many are revealed by default now ect. No one enjoys having to walk 2 minutes down a path that leads to nothing more than a chest with 2k gold and a buff potion then need to walk another 2min back.
  • HelsaHelsa

Like Coil dungeon lol.

In the case of a hedge maze, yeah there would be a similarity.
    And they did used to be a lot more like solving a maze. Then they had there generation tweaked to make them more straightforward have been shortened several times. items added to reveal the maps, maps for many are revealed by default now ect. No one enjoys having to walk 2 minutes down a path that leads to nothing more than a chest with 2k gold and a buff potion then need to walk another 2min back.

Let me be clear, I'm not asking to replace the existing dungeons but rather to create an extra one that is a Labyrinth, where the whole point of it is that it is so. If it's understood from the get-go that it is a maze and not a regular type of dungeon then folks won't enter with the wrong expectations. The whole point is to solve the maze, some folks like solving mazes. This way its not the usual enter room, kill monsters, pick up drops, enter room, kill monsters, pick up drops, etc. While the regular dungeons will have long passageways to no where, a Labyrinth is not quite like that. I'm speaking of something like this:
    693e9290f523b4b82981b02d6476d1ab.jpg
    The disappointment of reaching a dead end, in present dungeons, is in a large part due to the chests at the end of them having modest rewards. Better rewards sprinkled about the labyrinth would reward the time taken and indeed encourage exploring the entire labyrinth.
  • KingEphyKingEphy
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,100
    This kind of reminds me of the massive labyrinths (mildly massive) that exist in BOTW. They're not quite as bad as the above-portrayed maze, but they presented a decent enough challenge. It could totally work if you can't see what's on the other side of the wall too.

Just adding a few cents.