Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

So if you're waiting for rain to do Arcana quest

bablushousbablushous
Mabinogi Rep: 205
edited December 15, 2022 in General Chat
To get 5 flint you need to mine Raspa rocks but only if it's raining. And it won't rain until 8pm PST or something (Not sure if wiki is going by PST or something) according to Mabi Wiki. Basically we gonna have to wait for hours and hours until it rains to progress.

Comments

• ThePravinThePravin
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,380
    the wiki and just about every online clock is not accurate. we wont know when the next rain is until 1h before it happens.

Nexon doesn't care about anyone's time. I can't believe they made another weather dependent quest.
  • FableAuraFableAura
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,155
    The fact that they would powerlevel the entire use base so that we can start Arcana on day one, but then gate the whole questline behind an arbitrary timesink with no alternative route, is inane. We need a set method for mining flint that doesn't require environmental rain. You know....like Rain Casting. So close, yet so very...very far.

0/10 - complete absence of good game design.
  • ThePravinThePravin
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,380
    well we were all getting it until some player decided to kill the dragon that was summoned

• HabimaruHabimaru
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,630
    edited December 15, 2022
    So like...
    FOb30R8.png
    ...I suppose it is just... that way
  • LyniLyni
    Mabinogi Rep: 845
    Lame quest. 0/10
  • FableAuraFableAura
    ThePravin wrote: »
    well we were all getting it until some player decided to kill the dragon that was summoned

I literally showed up as that happened. What a prick.
    Not like the server lag would have let me mine anything anyway since Devs choose to ignore how they created obscene congestion with this quest design. X_x

Expanding rain casting would fix this whole thing - or letting us buy the flint. Or Making it instanced. So many options, and they pick the one thing they possibly could that makes this neat, fun update as unnecessarily dumb and wasteful as possible.

Boy howdy. What a fun quest...
  • FluoretteFluorette
    Mabinogi Rep: 4,840
    that'd actually be devCat's part

Never mind that. There's a problem in general with incentivizing rushing into quests........
    but for weather purposes, that one menu in the game that has all the moongates and mana tunnels listed shows the weather. It was accurate when I last needed it for such purposes. I don't know about now, though; haven't paid attention to weather in a while.
  • FableAuraFableAura
    edited December 15, 2022
    Fluorette wrote: »
    that'd actually be devCat's part

Never mind that. There's a problem in general with incentivizing rushing into quests........
    but for weather purposes, that one menu in the game that has all the moongates and mana tunnels listed shows the weather. It was accurate when I last needed it for such purposes. I don't know about now, though; haven't paid attention to weather in a while.

The accuracy of that weather thing isn't really relevant (and not really helpful as a tool, tbh). There is only a chance of rain at each point where rain may be expected (as the weather pattern is fixed, but the presence of a weather event is not), which means that there is a measure of rng to whether or not we'll get rain in a particular region. That means that we have to just be 'aware' and keep checking. This isn't really a good gameplay loop and provides nothing to the experience except to be a nuisance.

And I think it's natural to expect a playerbase to rush into new content, especially when they pre-announced that content and spent the last couple months powerleveling everyone just so that they can in fact rush into that new content. Going to such lengths to get players up to the point so that they can do that content and then forcing them to wait on an rng event, far from any other notable content players may otherwise be engaged in, is just poor design.

Perhaps it would be a little different if they had us mining some new, strange material. But they narratively expect us to mine up an item we can buy from an NPC and talk like it's a wildly new discovery. It's a quest that is narratively and mechanically a complete waste of time, for no reason whatsoever.

As someone who works, it's just a real bummer when game companies hype up and then subsequently gatekeep content when there is no good reason for it. Especially when our character is measured up as a god-killing, immortal super-genius, and the obstacle is just a normal rock.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited December 16, 2022
    Habimaru wrote: »
    So like...
    FOb30R8.png
    ...I suppose it is just... that way

It sounds like someone who is just frustrated as opposed to someone who is a detriment to the game and player-base. Given the requirement to store text and the amount of storage on a modern server it would be very surprising if everything "said" in-game isn't logged. Nexon could go through those logs, using the precise search string, approximate time-stamp, and context/order of messages provided by the image, and identify the person, despite their character name being obscured. If they get banned, I would imagine, they won't take it well.
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,715
    wait, its only mineable when it rains???

i was really freakin lucky then cuz i mined it as soon as i got there :sweat_smile:
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    Sherri wrote: »

i was really freakin lucky then cuz i mined it as soon as i got there :sweat_smile:

So late to this. :lol:
    Sherri
  • SherriSherri
    Mabinogi Rep: 18,715
    Crimsọn wrote: »
    Sherri wrote: »

So late to this. :lol:

i procrastinated it a bit and then forgot to do Bard GM so i had to rush through that :pensive:
  • HelsaHelsa
    Does this help at all?
  • LoomyOfPiLoomyOfPi
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,375
    Helsa wrote: »
    Does this help at all?

I was using that page at the time this thread was created. But I waited for a few hours ahead of time (game in the background) for a few reasons:

1) The wiki is not aggressively updated as it was years ago. There could have been some change to the game in the past and that page might not have been updated. There are quite a few pages like that.
    2) A new game update had just occurred. There could have been some undocumented change that suddenly made the wiki page out-of-date.
    3) Glitches happen. If it rained, I was going to pounce on the flint.

In the end, the rain happened on schedule. The nearest pile of flint was gone in under ten seconds as players seized the flint. Meanwhile, my character was glitched and could not collect. :( Some kind player suggested that I try relogging. That worked like a charm.
  • HelsaHelsa
    LoomyOfPi wrote: »
    Does this help at all?

I was using that page at the time this thread was created. But I waited for a few hours ahead of time (game in the background) for a few reasons:

1) The wiki is not aggressively updated as it was years ago. There could have been some change to the game in the past and that page might not have been updated. There are quite a few pages like that.
    2) A new game update had just occurred. There could have been some undocumented change that suddenly made the wiki page out-of-date.
    3) Glitches happen. If it rained, I was going to pounce on the flint.

In the end, the rain happened on schedule. The nearest pile of flint was gone in under ten seconds as players seized the flint. Meanwhile, my character was glitched and could not collect. :( Some kind player suggested that I try relogging. That worked like a charm.

Wait, am I reading this right? The flint rocks allow for only a limited number of harvests? So, you really NEED to be there first?
  • LoomyOfPiLoomyOfPi
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,375
    Wait, am I reading this right? The flint rocks allow for only a limited number of harvests? So, you really NEED to be there first?

Yes and no. There are a limited number of harvests, but there are several piles per channel. As you know, we have ten channels. Even with the huge harvest that was made that fateful first night of Arcana, it appears that there was enough flint to go around for everyone. Moreover, since from that point on, there probably won't be the same volume of players waiting for rain, the only thing you need to do is get there with a pickaxe in good repair condition with sufficient time to mine the flint before the rain stops. No need to be first.