Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

It's been a while...

SpookleeSpooklee
Mabinogi Rep: 810
in General Chat
I figured I'd make a formal post here since several Tarlachians have spotted me out in the wild and rushed me with memories, excitement and questions.

Hello, My name is Spooklee and I am most known for being the founder of the Tarlach Fair back in 2009.

I have already been asked by several people within the week that I have been back, when the next Fair will be.

While I have thought about the event several times in the ages I have been gone from the game (I fled the Blackrobe incident to save the prize vault from deletion), the sheer volume of content I have to catch up on, not to mention getting to know people in the merged server state, will leave this project on the back burner.

That said, I've had several people immediately volunteer and offer ideas for competitions, contests, venues and volunteering their time to making it happen again. I've really been touched by this as it covers a lot of different types of players; Bards, PVPers, cooks, dungeon runners and casual players. Many have told me they have heard of legends from friends about the events and lamented they could not attend.

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up right now, but the stories people have shared int he past week have touched me deeply.

The game and its community has changed a lot, and I have to take server stability into account if I do such a project again. At is peak, there were 200 players involved with each event and I dont want to break the game again, so I have a lot to consider.

Thank you everyone who has approached me in the past week offering advice and helping me level, you are all amazing people and its lovely to meet players from other servers who tell me about their own adventures.

See you in the field,

Grandpa Spook

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    You Tarlachites came up with a great idea with the player-made fairs, especially after you convinced Nexon to sponsor them; good job!
  • SpookleeSpooklee
    I'm seeking out the previous staff from the years before, been going through the old community wiki and taking down names of players to find and discuss with. I dont want to take mini events out of the hands of people who have worked hard on them, and I still have a lot to catch up on if I even consider doing this seriously again. The age range of the community has changed a lot since I passed this event on to people who remained here for 10+ years, and I'm pretty proud of the longevity of the event as a whole. I can see a lot of people tried hard to keep the community together. Lots of good memories in there.
  • SpookleeSpooklee
    Update; I've been put int ouch with the Fair Discord and I clearly see I dont need to take over anything,t he community is super vibrant and I'm getting to know the new age of event runners. Thanks to everyone who contacted me about it!
  • LoomyOfPiLoomyOfPi
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,375
    Ah, yes. I remember the weekly fair fondly. There would be an area in Dunbarton marked with dropped accessories (they used to last for many hours before the game would despawn them). We'd log in on our collection pets and let others collect from us while bards used magical music scrolls to restore our MP and SP and keep the collection going. I looked forward to it. It was a time of togetherness and generosity.

That being said, much of what made the Tarlach Fair so great doesn't apply anymore, as there are multiple was for players to collect these goodies for themselves. Homesteads, in particular, have done away the the necessity. Add the hot springs pools, and the MP and SP is taken care of too. Or at the very lest, my needs have been taken care of in this respect.

Still, if the community rallied together to meet the needs of today's players, I'd be interested. While I generally keep to myself in game, I also like to help others.
  • LoomyOfPiLoomyOfPi
    One aspect I might like to help is the 4-player Grandmaster mission. I'm strong enough to solo it (at least on my main), but even then, it takes a while. It's a bit of a beastly challenge for some players. But if I and another capable player came along, we could easily help casual players complete the mission.
  • SpookleeSpooklee
    Ah, someone who remembers Herb Mondays :D I loved sharing my herb pets when they were briefly discontinued from the shops, stuffed full of MP pots when the bards got tired, just to offer free players a chance to get Clovers. I timed that event specifically to happen right before the Red Dragon spawns so the raid guilds would hit us up for potions right before swarming the world bosses :D

I'm working through the Blaaid quests at the moment and getting to know people, looking for areas that are a little lacking and in need of someone with too much free time to fill. I dont even have ONE Grandmaster yet so I'm very curios about all the new titles and abilities. Its been a fun week of meeting new people and being completely overhwlemed with all the cool additions since I last played. I've teamed up with my old partner, Kartia, and she's currently trying to get her old title of Royal alchemist back. she's very interested in the fact that she didnt qualify this week and is determined to try even harder. She's been a real doll in helping me acclimate and we have been playing every available hour we get!

I'm also trying to figure out how to rebirth my pets, theres so much more to do with them than I remembered and I'm super excited to try out the Fynni stuff and pet dungeons!
  • LoomyOfPiLoomyOfPi
    Incoming scattered thoughts....

Clover Gnu, right? I allowed people to collect from my Herb Pig. I'd spend about half the time as the pig and half as myself. Most herbs were not so easy to collect those days, and they were great for making potions, which were also not as plentiful as they are today. I'd make some potions for myself and sell the surplus (it was my one money-maker).

I stepped away from the game sometime around 2014 and came back in 2020. There are so many changes and new things, I still haven't figured out many aspects. While I know how to rebirth a pet, there are components of that process I don't understand. I also don't completely understand reforging items.

Grandmasters were around then and incredibly difficult. I hadn't finished my first one when I left the game, but finished it rather quickly when I returned. Changes had been made to make it easier. And now, recent changes have halved the effort needed for Grandmasters. If you handled the Red Dragon back in the day, it's just a matter of time and effort for you to acquire your first Grandmaster.

Most of the Blaanid stuff is fairly straight-forward. The one tricky spot I remember is that when she asks you to upgrade something, you have to go to Bangor to do the upgrade.