Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Let elves duel wield/use 2h weapons

Comments

• nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,870
    Racial advantages and disadvantages are one thing, but I think the thing people are taking issue with are racial restrictions, I assume because they're harder to justify in-universe, particularly when one takes stats like STR and DEX into account.

After all, how is it that an 11-year-old, 12 STR human is strong enough to wield two swords, but a 17-year-old, 17 STR elf isn't? Or how is it that an 11-year-old, 12 DEX human is dexterous enough to use a bow, but a 17-year-old, 22-23 DEX giant isn't?
  • UnpayedUnpayed
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,485
    nomigid15 wrote: »
    Racial advantages and disadvantages are one thing, but I think the thing people are taking issue with are racial restrictions, I assume because they're harder to justify in-universe, particularly when one takes stats like STR and DEX into account.

After all, how is it that an 11-year-old, 12 STR human is strong enough to wield two swords, but a 17-year-old, 17 STR elf isn't? Or how is it that an 11-year-old, 12 DEX human is dexterous enough to use a bow, but a 17-year-old, 22-23 DEX giant isn't?

I think I read it somewhere that Giants ends up breaking the bowstrings, but this doesnt make sense if you say "Use better strings" or "Use Arbalests", heck they use Ballistas just as fine.

Though, I can say the same thing to Giant Two handeds. We had the Glory Sword and Dragon Fang. Heck, if you want to go further, The Dragon Slasher. I would think Humans be Two handed wielding the Giant's swords.
    Wooden Hammer? Celtic Hammer,
    Giant Axes? Celtic Axes.

Lets face it, these restrictions doesnt make sense anyways...
    Sherri
  • RawrismRawrism
    Mabinogi Rep: 400
    Sherri wrote: »
    Peadrian wrote: »
    if elves get to dual wield then you need to up humans move speed and add a second arrow+ability to run while aiming to human ranged attack and allow them to use it while mounted. if elves get access to lances then its only fair that giants get mag shot, crash shot, support shot, etc. along with double atlatl basic mounted ranged attack. while were at it every race should be able to hide instead of just elves. if you wanna be able to do everything play a human, if you wanna play an elf stop trying to make them play like every other race

comments like these make me wish this forum had a dislike function :unamused:

Do you have a reason on why you would dislike? If elves were literally faster humans with better ranged then why play Human?
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    edited May 8, 2023
    Minastar wrote: »
    Let elves duel wield (sic)

Tools actually have combat only upgrades, has anyone ever bothered? Let elves duel wield tools. This could be justified based on the strength reason that prevents them from duel wielding bona fide weapons. Then the combat upgrades for tools become meaningful. Let humans duel wield anything an elf can and all one-handed weapons. Let giants duel wield anything humans can and any weapon that they can wield with a shield. Let everyone duel wield unmatched weapons. Everybody wins, everybody happy.

Minastar wrote: »
    Let elves wield 2h-weapons, maybe a weaker lance, say, too (sic)

Sure, but then allow bow skills for Atlatl, say, all the skills available to both humans and elves, with non-giants retaining their race only archery skills to themselves.

EDIT: DOH! I said this already.
  • AmarazAmaraz
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,745
    As an elf... I think we're strong enough if you actually build for an elf. We can hold the Soluna blade, if you want to be melee. But basically, if you dont like archery, don't be an elf. If you're an elf and max our archery, you're a god.
  • JonaroseJonarose
    Mabinogi Rep: 310
    As another elf, with the new Arcana systems, it would be cool to be able to duel wield wands as well as swords. Imagine if you will, however - one hand with a sword and the other hand with a wand to cast more powerful spells after infusion. Maybe infuse fire and be able to cast a ice spear with an ice wand in your off hand? Perhaps that would be too powerful, but it'd be cool!

Wishful thinking aside, I would adore being able to have two swords, even if I'm not particularly built for it. I'd at least like an option to do so! I've got plenty of swords that I can't do anything with due to this not being an option. I miss close combat being any kind of priority for me...
  • JonaroseJonarose
    Mabinogi Rep: 310
    As another elf, with the new Arcana systems, it would be cool to be able to duel wield wands as well as swords. Imagine if you will, however - one hand with a sword and the other hand with a wand to cast more powerful spells after infusion. Maybe infuse fire and be able to cast a ice spear with an ice wand in your off hand? Perhaps that would be too powerful, but it'd be cool!

Wishful thinking aside, I would adore being able to have two swords, even if I'm not particularly built for it. I'd at least like an option to do so! I've got plenty of swords that I can't do anything with due to this not being an option. I miss close combat being any kind of priority for me.
  • ElodieeeeeeeeeeElodieeeeeeeeee
    Mabinogi Rep: 700
    Hmm. I don't know. Maybe elemental knight should allow elf to use 2H. But that will break the game by having elf become a god with both range and melee.

I suggest Nexon make rapiers viable again. This is from watching Maike using rapier in Iria Saga. Elf should have strong rapier melee weapons that have a different skillset. But their AOE won't be as large as them. And their skills will be more focused on landing hits in a straight line or teleporting, damaging all targets like a whirlwind.

Instead of making elf squishy like a child, further reinforce the mana-shield skill so elfs don't die from mana depletion from just 1 hit.

Let elfs equip 2H, but don't allow them to use elemental knight skills when using 2H.

Also, giant has been in the meta for too long. I think it's time for giant to be nerfed and become a tank instead of a god that can both deal damage and take damage at the same time. Giant great swing and stampede is already so strong, might as well give humans and elf a Human/Elf Great swing.
  • ElodieeeeeeeeeeElodieeeeeeeeee
    Mabinogi Rep: 700
    I really wish giant have better Atlatl or range weapons. Instead of crossbow, give giant a greatbow that fires way slower but deals massive damage.

Humans used to be so garbage but after Arcana it feels like human is now so versatile and people are still calling us second-class citizen. Like honestly if this is what you think humans are, just a trash race then maybe Nexon should buff us more and more and become the strongest race ever. Forget giving elf 2H just give them everything , forget creating a better Atlatl for giant. Just allow giant to wield greatbow with same speed as elf. Just let human be the main character of the game by allowing them to use all skills on horseback. Yes, buff everything, nerf is dumb and everyone should be able to use all weapons
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    I'd settle for the bow skills, common to humans and elves, becoming available for atlatl. Back when the Magnum shot bug was still available to giants, I had magnum shot for about half an hour; it was kinda fun.
  • nomigid15nomigid15
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,870
    Another suggestion for Throwing Attack: let giants use it with certain 1H melee weapons, like axes (bonus if related Spirit weapons also gain the ability to fly back to their wielder's hand, ala Mjolnir).