Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

New Talent: Enchanter

HelsaHelsa
Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
edited March 25, 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions
Skills:
· Magic Mastery,
· Enchant (removed from Magic talent),
· Campfire.
New skills:
· Reaffix (applied to scrolls); turns prefixes into suffixes and suffixes into prefixes. This will require doubling the number of enchants, in the game, to have both a prefix and suffix version.
· Meld (applied to scrolls); combine a scroll with a prefix and a scroll with a suffix into one scroll,
· Charm (applied to scrolls); turns cursed enchants into their charmed equivalent. This will require the game mechanics to have a table to consult pairing charms with curses.
· Curse (applied to scrolls); turns charmed enchants into their cursed equivalent. Some curses are actually beneficial but this skill, probably, would be used mainly as a final step in those cases where building up the enchant level of an item is easier/cheaper using curses rather than charms.

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    edited March 29, 2023
    Helsa wrote: »
    Skills:
    · Magic Mastery,
    · Enchant (removed from Magic talent),
    · Campfire.
    New skills:
    · Reaffix (applied to scrolls); turns prefixes into suffixes and suffixes into prefixes. This will require doubling the number of enchants, in the game, to have both a prefix and suffix version.
    · Meld (applied to scrolls); combine a scroll with a prefix and a scroll with a suffix into one scroll,
    · Charm (applied to scrolls); turns cursed enchants into their charmed equivalent. This will require the game mechanics to have a table to consult pairing charms with curses.
    · Curse (applied to scrolls); turns charmed enchants into their cursed equivalent. Some curses are actually beneficial but this skill, probably, would be used mainly as a final step in those cases where building up the enchant level of an item is easier/cheaper using curses rather than charms.

Oopsie woopsies; that should read step along the way

... and of course

Helsa0151+Alexina of Erinn
  • UnpayedUnpayed
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,485
    I would rather have the enchanting system revamped.
    Take a page from Skyrim and WoW.
    If you want to hear the suggestion, I can post it.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Unpayed wrote: »
    I would rather have the enchanting system revamped.
    Take a page from Skyrim and WoW.
    If you want to hear the suggestion, I can post it.

Sure, go to town. If they consider it then maybe what I suggest could be an interim thing.
  • UnpayedUnpayed
    Method "Skyrim"

1. I get the enchant scrolls, I use it, I learn it.
    1b. Restorative, White Dust, Distortion Powders will be needed as reagents.
    1c. Optionally, all Enchant Scrolls no longer expire.
    1d. Expire Enchant Scrolls are possible loot. The Expiration removal scrolls still gets a use.
    2. In order to enchant, I have to use Magic Powder. Each magic powder has a "Strength" and the more powerful the powder is, the less powders I need. The more ranks the Enchant is, the more powder strength I need.
    2b. I can use an Enchant protection to skip this.
    3. There will be no enchant failure. Seriously. Why do we have this?
    4. Disenchanting will be a separate skill. I disenchant to salvage powders.
    4b. Disenchanting with a Premium item will give me the enchant scroll.

I love it that you no longer need to branch enchants, but this failures and enchant success rates... it's in the right direction, but a miss.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Method "Skyrim"

1. I get the enchant scrolls, I use it, I learn it.
    1b. Restorative, White Dust, Distortion Powders will be needed as reagents.
    1c. Optionally, all Enchant Scrolls no longer expire.
    1d. Expire Enchant Scrolls are possible loot. The Expiration removal scrolls still gets a use.
    2. In order to enchant, I have to use Magic Powder. Each magic powder has a "Strength" and the more powerful the powder is, the less powders I need. The more ranks the Enchant is, the more powder strength I need.
    2b. I can use an Enchant protection to skip this.
    3. There will be no enchant failure. Seriously. Why do we have this?
    4. Disenchanting will be a separate skill. I disenchant to salvage powders.
    4b. Disenchanting with a Premium item will give me the enchant scroll.

I love it that you no longer need to branch enchants, but this failures and enchant success rates... it's in the right direction, but a miss.

Kew! None of that really contradicts or is incompatible with what I have suggested so "go with throttle up!"
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    No, that' why magic exists.

Necromancer talent though...13 years Nexon, c'mon.
  • UnpayedUnpayed
    Crimsọn wrote: »

I'm still asking why you want Necromancer so much when it doesn't fit the ideology and theme of Mabinogi?
  • HelsaHelsa

I'm still asking why you want Necromancer so much when it doesn't fit the ideology and theme of Mabinogi?

It would be another branch of magic, say "dark" magic, "formorian" magic, maybe something like that. But we're getting side-tracked here, can we get back to the discussion of an Enchanter talent, please.
  • UnpayedUnpayed
    Helsa wrote: »

It would be another branch of magic, say "dark" magic, "formorian" magic, maybe something like that. But we're getting side-tracked here, can we get back to the discussion of an Enchanter talent, please.

We're already tampering with Alchemy, and I don't think there would be a story changing issue that needs it.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Back to the Enchanter talent suggestion, I realised you actually don't need to double the number of enchants, you just have to add two fields to the enchant objects in the resource file: one for the "other" name for it, and one to indicate which version is active.

For the Meld skill, you could either double the size of the enchant object record leaving half of it set to NULL in most cases or you create a new object with two fields pointing to the two relevant enchant records. The field names themselves will indicate whether the affix is a prefix or suffix.

For Charm and Curse, it looks like two more fields could be added to the enchant record, instead of creating a separate table, to indicate whether the enchant is a charm or curse and to point to it's inverse enchant.