Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Mabinogi is getting Unreal Engine!

NegumikoNegumiko
Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
in General Chat
dg017rr-2d6d6702-d529-4a2a-a421-398a8a1a835f.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzAzNWRiYWVjLWEwN2ItNGNmYy04ZWY0LTdmZmQ2Yjg2Nzk4OFwvZGcwMTdyci0yZDZkNjcwMi1kNTI5LTRhMmEtYTQyMS0zOThhOGExYTgzNWYucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.5rwGBcEwmIASWgsj42C_2vwAM3fylVelj6-cSBi0ROk

Crimsọn
  1. Is anyone else excited for this awesome update?23 votes
    1. Yes!
       87% (20 votes)
    2. No!
       4% (1 vote)
    3. Maybe
       9% (2 votes)

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Korea is right; the game MUST modernise.
    Crimsọn
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Helsa wrote: »
    Korea is right; the game MUST modernise.

A update like this really is for the best long term. I seriously think if Mabinogi got a engine update like this it could put the game back on top as even a potential rival for FF14. This update gives me so much hope for the game. If this update goes right they could advertise Mabinogi on websites again, the forums could back to life, and we could even get to the point where we need to open up new servers!

I just never expected them to actually do this cause the it is going to be a lot of work and probably cost a ton of money. Please Nexon let this be real, I haven't been this surprised since finding out about the Iria Commerce Update. Literally couldn't even speak properly last night cause my brain was tripping over itself just thinking about this update.
    harppo
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    edited June 18, 2023
    I am excited however I am scared as hell at the same time.

There was a very minor blurb or indication that not everything could be ported over or that there are some aspects to the game we would lose. We could speculate into eternity what that might mean for everyone...but I grasp that this is necessary and has been for a very long time. Just like with the server merges, there will have to be sacrifices for the greater good in order for this game to survive.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Crimsọn wrote: »

There was a very minor blurb or indication that not everything could be ported over or that there are some aspects to the game we would lose. We could speculate into eternity what that might mean for everyone...but I grasp that this is necessary and has been for a very long time. Just like with the server merges, there will have to be sacrifices for the greater good in order for this game to survive.

The idea of cutting stuff was in the context of getting rid of bloat that is being ignored anyway. I can think of one such thing that can go: elf/giant alliance. I'm willing to take them at their word that cutting stuff is to trim fat.

The idea that "nothing is set in stone" is horse-poop. It being said was just CYA, nothing more. We'll get all that was presented. To be sure, it will be filtered through the Korean player-base first, so they may kvetch about stuff such that adjustments are made, but that's about it.
  • TiroTiro
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,365

Would anyone actually care if karu forest only had 11 dungeon layouts instead of 32? Would anyone notice if they got rid of 80% of quests on the exploration board? If instead of dropping fomor scrolls the monster just dropped more gold? Do players really need the ability to gather elementals from sprites? There are at least a half dozen systems that can be removed without the majority of players noticing.

maybe they are going to cut things that matter but there is a good deal of things that don't.
    harppoAmaraz
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited June 21, 2023
    Tiro wrote: »

Would anyone actually care if karu forest only had 11 dungeon layouts instead of 32? Would anyone notice if they got rid of 80% of quests on the exploration board? If instead of dropping fomor scrolls the monster just dropped more gold? Do players really need the ability to gather elementals from sprites? There are at least a half dozen systems that can be removed without the majority of players noticing.

maybe they are going to cut things that matter but there is a good deal of things that don't.

No. But I am scared about things we paid for that might be lost.

But damn, to not be so blocky anymore and make our characters fully realized on a game that I have spent 14 years on and is my online home... I might just say screw it.

y9zGZoj.png

It's going to be tough but we'll get through this together.
    Negumiko
  • NegumikoNegumiko

But damn, to not be so blocky anymore and make our characters fully realized on a game that I have spent 14 years on and is my online home... I might just say screw it.

y9zGZoj.png

Like stuff from Anime Crossover Events. We could lose Anime Crossover outfits, weapons, and pets as Nexon may not have the permission to edit and redo these items with Unreal Engine. I hope they can find a way to save our anime items or at least pets but overall I have to admit the Unreal Engine update is even worth sacrificing that to me at least. As much as I love those items and pets some things may have to go and overall saving Mabinogi with a update that could actually make the game popular again is worth that price. Mabinogi is long overdue for it's own rebirth, we need this update if we want to stay in Erinn for another 20 years.
  • HelsaHelsa
    Negumiko wrote: »

y9zGZoj.png

Like stuff from Anime Crossover Events. We could lose Anime Crossover outfits, weapons, and pets as Nexon may not have the permission to edit and redo these items with Unreal Engine. I hope they can find a way to save our anime items or at least pets but overall I have to admit the Unreal Engine update is even worth sacrificing that to me at least. As much as I love those items and pets some things may have to go and overall saving Mabinogi with a update that could actually make the game popular again is worth that price. Mabinogi is long overdue for it's own rebirth, we need this update if we want to stay in Erinn for another 20 years.

There's nothing to gain by ditching data. It's code that makes bloat. All the outfits, implements, mobs, and props will be converted, if necessary, using a script.
  • CrowNamiCrowNami
    Mabinogi Rep: 710
    As long as we dont lose the ability to play music .Its one of the few things that keeps me coming back to the game.And one of the things that made me fall in love with the game because no other game had anything like it.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Negumiko wrote: »

y9zGZoj.png

OH snap you're right...people are not going to be happy about that.
  • HelsaHelsa
    CrowNami wrote: »
    As long as we dont lose the ability to play music .Its one of the few things that keeps me coming back to the game.And one of the things that made me fall in love with the game because no other game had anything like it.

I can't see them ditching that; it's one of Mabinogi's key features.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Oh yeah I would definitely protest that. Music is one of the signature aspects of Mabinogi.
  • HercuniqueHercunique
    Mabinogi Rep: 410
    I just got Mabinogi (last week) to put on 2core potato fossil laptop with just 4GB RAM & olde school hd4200 gpu. I chose Mabi precisely because its still uses a low demanding engine. Dont know if 'modern' versions of game engines will still run on it.

• ClawStaffClawStaff
    I hope they will add options for more modern control schemes too. Like not force it on people, allow the old control scheme still too, but the Mabinogi controls are kinda awkward for anyone that hasn't been playing the game from the start. So an option for a more standard control scheme of a game like this would be good, maybe with better targeting and things like that to. QoL things to make the controls feel more fluid and skills flow together better, etc.

Because I think Mabinogi could bring in a whole new audience again with a big update like this that improves the visuals, but then some people won't like the control scheme. And maybe some classes could be more convenient to start off with, like maybe there could be like a soul arrow skill like in Maplestory for some ranged classes to allow them to use attacks without resources, but deal less damage.

Because there's just a big difference between choosing some classes and being able to hop right in. Where melee classes can just immediately start doing things. While ranged classes have limited resources to use, and I believe from what I've heard only the archer has access to free ammo they can get from a shop.

So basically I'm saying I hope it's not only an engine update and new quests, and they do more to try to make the game feel as fun and fluid as possible for new players that might join because of it.
  • HercuniqueHercunique
    Mabinogi Rep: 410
    edited July 11, 2023
    oops, doublepost
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited December 21, 2023

Ok slightly less skeptical now.
  • NegumikoNegumiko

Ok slightly less skeptical now.

unreal_mabi_hype_xd_by_kittykira_dglw4np-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzI2IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMDM1ZGJhZWMtYTA3Yi00Y2ZjLThlZjQtN2ZmZDZiODY3OTg4XC9kZ2x3NG5wLWVhZTQ4NmE3LTAzYzEtNDNlYy1iMDQzLTVlYTY1NjA4YmI5Ny5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.BB1vf5OTq6tcYo5X9RXJa6G8kbyvokVolm6vy7Q4E5A
  • LoomyOfPiLoomyOfPi
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,375
    This looks great and all, buy my question is, "What will this do to the system requirements to run Mabinogi?"
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    LoomyOfPi wrote: »
    This looks great and all, buy my question is, "What will this do to the system requirements to run Mabinogi?"

I think Mabinogi will have lower system requirements than Genshin. So something like 6gb to 8gb memory, 3gb to 5gb Video Ram, and i5 or i7 core is what I'm guessing. A computer like that could cost anywhere between $500 and $1,000 dollars or slightly more depending on where you buy from. The cheapest option is to build your own pc. But at least players will have around 3 years minimum to prepare for that sort of thing. We won't know the exact system requirements until a few months before release probably but I do hope Mabinogi will still be playable on most modern Windows computers with reasonable system requirements.
  • MeankiddMeankidd
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,030
    Do we think this will be an update to the current game? Or a mabinogi 2.0 while current mabi becomes a legacy game? I don't want to have to start over and buy pets again after spending 13 years beating the game; but I know a lot of games end up screwing over the old players with overhauls like this.