Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

What Mabi KR Thinks About The Unreal Engine Update

NegumikoNegumiko
Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
edited June 19, 2023 in Content from Other Regions
It is a lot of fun reading the Mabi KR Forums so I decided to see what they thought about the Unreal Engine Update. Some of them think this could be done at the end of this year and some are concerned about the potential bugs with this update. A few players are also concerned about skill changes and optimization. But most of them seem excited about it and agree this update is for the best preferring Director Min Kyung-hoon over the former team leader Woong.

I think it is good to know what everyone thinks about this Engine Update including our neighbors in Mabi KR. So here is some of the things they are saying about it:

Thread 1: Even if the engine is replaced (Link: https://mabinogi.nexon.com/page/community/free_view.asp?id=34377&category=0 )
dg0ayvt-5dd57cee-6c8e-4893-abc0-82368ee702a0.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzAzNWRiYWVjLWEwN2ItNGNmYy04ZWY0LTdmZmQ2Yjg2Nzk4OFwvZGcwYXl2dC01ZGQ1N2NlZS02YzhlLTQ4OTMtYWJjMC04MjM2OGVlNzAyYTAucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.wCn-xAg6vKJUlaOuaIBuV5xUoaE4moLT7kFumgE7WV4
dg0ayxp-11f9e585-9c67-4eb4-b80a-39f8220b6177.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzAzNWRiYWVjLWEwN2ItNGNmYy04ZWY0LTdmZmQ2Yjg2Nzk4OFwvZGcwYXl4cC0xMWY5ZTU4NS05YzY3LTRlYjQtYjgwYS0zOWY4MjIwYjYxNzcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.eamGw-GbzQt75SfM5V4adiIjCq_ZlVLJi87GnK5UzZE

Thread 2: and! Engine replacement!!! (Link: https://mabinogi.nexon.com/page/community/free_view.asp?id=34375&category=0 )
dg0b0pw-40f05195-5e7c-4ee0-ac19-3c90ca0f38e1.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzAzNWRiYWVjLWEwN2ItNGNmYy04ZWY0LTdmZmQ2Yjg2Nzk4OFwvZGcwYjBwdy00MGYwNTE5NS01ZTdjLTRlZTAtYWMxOS0zYzkwY2EwZjM4ZTEucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.Dkwbw7Kd6DguaXTMu6yj41I31vvy0t56ZNg0uf9n_KU
dg0b0qd-c047241d-1fc7-407c-b529-39aab6f41ebc.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzAzNWRiYWVjLWEwN2ItNGNmYy04ZWY0LTdmZmQ2Yjg2Nzk4OFwvZGcwYjBxZC1jMDQ3MjQxZC0xZmM3LTQwN2MtYjUyOS0zOWFhYjZmNDFlYmMucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.uKC_tA2BVr2tPnH4DDLn-ileFxdAc0EQ5vN1CUinecI

Thread 3: Unreal is an irresistible trend (Link: https://mabinogi.nexon.com/page/community/free_view.asp?id=34351&category=0 )
dg0b1c0-ad256926-9830-47d1-bd64-5988ff6dd3ce.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzAzNWRiYWVjLWEwN2ItNGNmYy04ZWY0LTdmZmQ2Yjg2Nzk4OFwvZGcwYjFjMC1hZDI1NjkyNi05ODMwLTQ3ZDEtYmQ2NC01OTg4ZmY2ZGQzY2UucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.DBKDf9rFmIADr3m2MbfAu9x7gVfwsplGdkGiCZdMzEg
dg0b1cp-88969aed-7c07-419e-ab9a-eb9926d472fc.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzAzNWRiYWVjLWEwN2ItNGNmYy04ZWY0LTdmZmQ2Yjg2Nzk4OFwvZGcwYjFjcC04ODk2OWFlZC03YzA3LTQxOWUtYWI5YS1lYjk5MjZkNDcyZmMucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.b-ERl6oxVB8cDj4DAvjFytfDISQW53a6vmsuPy6rk-U

Thread 4: I wish they added a jump while replacing the engine. (Link: https://mabinogi.nexon.com/page/community/debate_view.asp?id=70775&category=0 )
dg0b1ok-35829ecc-8d66-481b-bc25-54f7e954fc11.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzAzNWRiYWVjLWEwN2ItNGNmYy04ZWY0LTdmZmQ2Yjg2Nzk4OFwvZGcwYjFvay0zNTgyOWVjYy04ZDY2LTQ4MWItYmMyNS01NGY3ZTk1NGZjMTEucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.kjpq1VN2eKEVb1dkNtvmhzbsJrqykK27m5h6OaCx_-s
dg0b1p5-e941d258-e2d4-4de8-8234-f43357826631.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzAzNWRiYWVjLWEwN2ItNGNmYy04ZWY0LTdmZmQ2Yjg2Nzk4OFwvZGcwYjFwNS1lOTQxZDI1OC1lMmQ0LTRkZTgtODIzNC1mNDMzNTc4MjY2MzEucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0._rB8ggTT5gVbG4EjBgZDY0U0iGJpVpqZ3CrALW4nTak

Thread 5: How about quickly applying Unreal engine replacement? (Link: https://mabinogi.nexon.com/page/community/debate_view.asp?id=70796&category=0 )
dg0b1w3-f208f7dd-71ff-4c87-a65f-9845fa679747.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzAzNWRiYWVjLWEwN2ItNGNmYy04ZWY0LTdmZmQ2Yjg2Nzk4OFwvZGcwYjF3My1mMjA4ZjdkZC03MWZmLTRjODctYTY1Zi05ODQ1ZmE2Nzk3NDcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.6TNPs8-RF_bJJS5oFcI0ClVztwYWPi2uVytkh66C_Qw
Crimsọn

Comments

• HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    I doubt the Korean player base, at this time, will say anything different than what we will. Nexon has announced it as the necessary future of Mabinogi so, I'd say, that makes it a done deal. Korea always gets stuff first so, once they get it, THEN their opinion will hold more weight than ours. We've seen a preview and the characters will retain their "anime" look. Personally, I'd rather have a realistic look but that anime thing seems to be important to some folks and, for now, looking realistic probably doesn't matter to me as much as looking anime does to other people so, for now, I can live with it. The only concern that, I think, all player bases will have is whether or not it is rolled out too quickly without sufficient in-house QA in order for them to make use of "free QA".
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    edited June 28, 2023
    I think it will take a couple years at the very least.

Mabinogi is extremely complex and has numerous nuances. People are expecting this update to happen by the end of the year are going to sadly mistaken. You are taking an incompatible obsolete engine and going to convert it over to another one by some vague way...this is why this has not been ever done in over a decade and we just had to accept it. Also when and if this upgrade has been successfully implemented, your potato that you bought from Walmart 10 years ago won't cut it. This will force a lot of people to upgrade or quit altogether. I'm good, a lot of other players I know have more updated computers. But I know some players from eons ago that still use the same machine they started playing on from over a decade ago.

Be prepared this whole process is going to be far from an easy transition for anyone. Also just so you know those little screenshots they showed at that convention were RECREATED in Unreal. They didn't convert anything, they had to remake it. That scares me because it sounds like they are just making a whole new game. I really wish we had more information instead of just rhetoric and pretty screenshots.

Sorry to be negative but Nexon has disappointed me and many other players before with their little projects. Like with Mabinogi II and Peria Chronicles. I am still big mad about those games. Nexon is gonna have to provide more proof and information as to how they are going to take on such an ambitious project. They could just be making us hopeful again trying to squeeze a few more extra years from us.
    Soraite
  • NegumikoNegumiko
    Mabinogi Rep: 9,775
    edited June 28, 2023
    Crimsọn wrote: »

Mabinogi is extremely complex and has numerous nuances. People are expecting this update to happen by the end of the year are going to sadly mistaken. You are taking an incompatible obsolete engine and going to convert it over to another one by some vague way...this is why this has not been ever done in over a decade and we just had to accept it. Also when and if this upgrade has been successfully implemented, your potato that you bought from Walmart 10 years ago won't cut it. This will force a lot of people to upgrade or quit altogether. I'm good, a lot of other players I know have more updated computers. But I know some players from eons ago that still use the same machine they started playing on from over a decade ago.

Be prepared this whole process is going to be far from an easy transition for anyone. Also just so you know those little screenshots they showed at that convention were RECREATED in Unreal. They didn't convert anything, they had to remake it. That scares me because it sounds like they are just making a whole new game. I really wish we had more information instead of just rhetoric and pretty screenshots.

Sorry to be negative but Nexon has disappointed me and many other players before with their little projects. Like with Mabinogi II and Peria Chronicles. I am still big mad about those games. Nexon is gonna have to provide more proof and information as to how they are going to take on such an ambitious project. They could just be making us hopeful again trying to squeeze a few more extra years from us.

They are taking a huge risk even attempting something like this and I agree Nexon has done some shady stuff in the past. So many things could go wrong with this project like dropping it cause it is to expensive, or the project ends up being more work than they are willing to put into it, or it could even be a lie before shutting down the game. Even if they finish it trying to add it the game could have all sorts of problems.

Although I don't fully trust Nexon KR I will admit they have done a much better job recently with good updates that matter and being a little more transparent with us. From what I hear they plan on giving a progress update at the end of the year and will continue update us on their update at the end of each year after that.

This project at least gives some hope though. If done successfully it would open up so many doors for the game. Seeing Mabinogi actually become popular again with servers full of players would certainly be a beautiful site. At the very least it gives old players something to hope and dream about, if they rip that away from us big surprise Nexon crushed our dreams again. I will seriously have a better opinion of Nexon KR if this turns out to be real and is successful though. Nexon KR may do some bad stuff but even I couldn't hate them if they bring this wonderful game back to life for us.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
    edited June 29, 2023
    Yeah exactly, to sum things up; I agree that this update is completely necessary for the survival of this game. But I fear it never going to come to full fruition. I want more transparency and PROOF that they can ACTUALLY do this instead of just showing us excrement that they RECREATED in Unreal if their intentions.

I want them to prove me wrong so badly. I actually do despite my massive skepticism. But as usual they drop just little unsubstantial nuggets and we are going to have to wait and see.
  • SoraiteSoraite
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,680

Updating engine = rewriting the whole game. This is going to take at least 2 years if they have enough developers. But with the engine means they get a lot of help from the software alone so maybe faster than that... Really exciting news as this could revitalize the game. It's already bringing back old/new players... Now we just need events outside of afk so people actually feel motivated to play lol
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    It might take a long time to complete the work but not necessarily. It depends what the customer (Nexon) gets from the vendor (Unreal). IIRC Unreal started out as a video game company but their world rendering engine was so good that folks started licensing it and their business became just the engine. If that's your core business why wouldn't you include auxiliary value by including the means to convert from one engine to another. It's possible that Unreal has, in a sense, already done a big chunk of the leg-work already.
  • jallathjallath
    Soraite wrote: »

Updating engine = rewriting the whole game. This is going to take at least 2 years if they have enough developers. But with the engine means they get a lot of help from the software alone so maybe faster than that... Really exciting news as this could revitalize the game. It's already bringing back old/new players... Now we just need events outside of afk so people actually feel motivated to play lol

Mabi is still written in c++ a lot of the core logic wouldn't need to be changed. Just engine specific interactions. Though honestly they should redo the core logic also since it was from the get go poorly written.