Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Feature: Block Player (much needed updates)

CrimsọnCrimsọn
Mabinogi Rep: 65,175
edited June 27, 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions
For years we've needed someone serious improvements to the Block Player feature in-game.

Presently you can block players but they can still see you and you just can't see or communicate with them. It's like you are punishing yourself more so than effectively blocking them. I propose a block feature that goes both ways, when you block someone they shouldn't be able to see you in-game either. This would eliminate most recurrent drama that trickles down from the pursuant still being able to see you (from other players).

Basically I feel the current block player system we have is insufficient and needs to go both ways.

Another improvement that needs to be added with the Block Player function; when you block someone their chair or associated objects also disappear (i.e puppets like the colossus).

- Crimson of Erinn
JevarEriyu
  1. Should the Block Player feature go BOTH ways?12 votes
    1. Yes, when I block someone I don't want them to be able to see my avatar anymore.
       83% (10 votes)
    2. No, I think this could potentially be used as a mass social weapon. (A concern I have considered).
       17% (2 votes)

Comments

• CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited June 27, 2023
    And yes this does have Black Mirror implications. I still think this should be implemented though.

What do you think?
  • HelsaHelsa
    Mabinogi Rep: 23,380
    Yep, it should be a total and complete segregation of the two players. A lot of us can handle such things, most of the time, but, since Mabinogi is free-to-play, you get a lot of "delicate" people playing this game and if they aren't comfortable they'll leave; that's not good.
    CrimsọnKeichiro
  • EdethaEdetha
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,625
    No.

Having a block feature where the person who is blocked can have an objective test to know that they have been blocked as opposed to just ignored, will just lead to harassment and crusades about 'look at the snowflake who can't stand listening to other opinions.'
  • HelsaHelsa
    They're blocking because they're being harassed in the first place. How will the harasser continue to harass if they are completely blocked? Get other people to do it for them? They can be blocked too.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited July 3, 2023
    Edetha wrote: »
    No.

Having a block feature where the person who is blocked can have an objective test to know that they have been blocked as opposed to just ignored, will just lead to harassment and crusades about 'look at the snowflake who can't stand listening to other opinions.'

Hey people have their reasons not necessarily along the lines of having a tantrum. If I want to block you, then I don't want you see me anymore either. It should go both ways so you are not privy to whatever I am saying. Currently the block feature we have only goes one way, I block you and I can't see or hear you but you still have the privilege to see and hear me. That's bs.
    Helsa wrote: »
    They're blocking because they're being harassed in the first place. How will the harasser continue to harass if they are completely blocked? Get other people to do it for them? They can be blocked too.

Out of sight out of mind.
    JevarNioughtKeichiro
  • OverDroneOverDrone
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,035
    Honestly what you're saying makes plenty of sense to me, I'm for it. Then again, if I flip the switch and say "I want to opt-in to a setting where I can only see my guild and friends" and not have to load anyone else, that'd be a tempting setting too lol :smile:
    Crimsọn
  • HelsaHelsa
    OverDrone wrote: »
    Honestly what you're saying makes plenty of sense to me, I'm for it. Then again, if I flip the switch and say "I want to opt-in to a setting where I can only see my guild and friends" and not have to load anyone else, that'd be a tempting setting too lol :smile:

That's actually very clever! I think this is the very first time, on these forums, that anyone has suggested a white-listing feature rather than black-listing; Gold Star sticker for you!
  • JevarJevar
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,205
    The white listing option would be tempting but also since mabi is supposed to be social, probably not a great idea- and friending future people would be difficult if no one else is loaded in! I do wish friends could appear on mini map like guild members though! Or if you could toggle a button to see a star or something (or maybe their names turn gold) above friend's head or near their titles that'd be nice, too. Like how you press alt to see items you could press alt to see nearby friends more clearly. Might be helpful in crowded areas.
    Niought
  • NioughtNiought
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,660
    edited September 20, 2023
    Jevar wrote: »
    The white listing option would be tempting but also since mabi is supposed to be social, probably not a great idea- and friending future people would be difficult if no one else is loaded in! I do wish friends could appear on mini map like guild members though! Or if you could toggle a button to see a star or something (or maybe their names turn gold) above friend's head or near their titles that'd be nice, too. Like how you press alt to see items you could press alt to see nearby friends more clearly. Might be helpful in crowded areas.

Yess, it'd be cool if when you press alt, their name turns yellow if their friend, rather than the normal color for other players.

For people who are sick of the people they blacklist being able to see them and finding ways to harass them still, however, I think they definitely need to improve the system.
  • TwelieTwelie
    Mabinogi Rep: 3,850
    Crimsọn wrote: »
    This would eliminate most recurrent drama that trickles down from the pursuant still being able to see you (from other players).

Basically I feel the current block player system we have is insufficient and needs to go both ways.

Another improvement that needs to be added with the Block Player function; when you block someone their chair or associated objects also disappear (i.e puppets like the colossus).

- Crimson of Erinn
    I agree on the block feature needing much improvement. The reality is, Mabi is a very small community. If you're still getting people bothering you because someone is blacklisted, although it might prevent it in the moment, it doesn't solve the bigger issue: people needing to be reported for harassment if they're harassing you. Since the report function is now, well, functional, it should help to mitigate the issue. If someone brings it up out of concern, a simple "I don't even see them they're blocked, go ahead and report them if they're being vile" should suffice, right? I get not wanting to be reminded someone exists and if they're going out of their way to harass you every time they see you the person with that attitude needs to be warned with moderation.
    I agree, blocking a player should truly block them, party ads, puppets, effects, etc.
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    edited September 21, 2023
    Twelie wrote: »
    This would eliminate most recurrent drama that trickles down from the pursuant still being able to see you (from other players).

- Crimson of Erinn
    I agree on the block feature needing much improvement. The reality is, Mabi is a very small community. If you're still getting people bothering you because someone is blacklisted, although it might prevent it in the moment, it doesn't solve the bigger issue: people needing to be reported for harassment if they're harassing you. Since the report function is now, well, functional, it should help to mitigate the issue. If someone brings it up out of concern, a simple "I don't even see them they're blocked, go ahead and report them if they're being vile" should suffice, right? I get not wanting to be reminded someone exists and if they're going out of their way to harass you every time they see you the person with that attitude needs to be warned with moderation.
    I agree, blocking a player should truly block them, party ads, puppets, effects, etc.

No I should be able to ban them from me. They should not be able to see my comments in-game. Also we know someone in-game who is a massive racist and sexually harasses people and he is still not banned. It's been over a bloody month and they have been reported by multiple players multiple times. The report player system does not work. Implementing a better blacklist system would solve a lot of problems OURSELVES and would alleviate the ticket system for the staff who are not tackling these issues anyway.

Give us the power to empower ourselves.
    TwelieNioughtAmarazKeichiro
  • AmarazAmaraz
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,755
    Agreed
    Crimsọn
  • KeichiroKeichiro
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,010
    Massive +1. I don't care if the people I block can tell they've been blocked, I want to be able to go about my day having fun without worrying that I might be being stalked or that someone is taking screens of things I say talking with friends to twist them out of context later when they clearly already caused me trouble.

It's simply a matter of privacy. Currently blocking someone just means you aren't able to keep an eye on them to protect yourself from harassment but they can track you happily. It doesn't bother me in the slightest if they feel like they won some dumb argument because I was the one to block.
    Helsa wrote: »
    you get a lot of "delicate" people playing this game
    I get what you mean but I wouldn't really say delicate, quotes or no quotes. We come online and play this game because we want to enjoy ourselves and many times forget about the conflicts and drama of real life as well. If I'm just chilling around being immersed and suddenly a political or religious argument pops up in bugles and completely floods chat and flashes in front of my eyes one idiotic message at a time, I simply want to not see any of it. I don't think that makes me "delicate".
    CrimsọnNiought
  • CrimsọnCrimsọn
    Keichiro wrote: »
    Massive +1. I don't care if the people I block can tell they've been blocked, I want to be able to go about my day having fun without worrying that I might be being stalked or that someone is taking screens of things I say talking with friends to twist them out of context later when they clearly already caused me trouble.

THIS.
  • AmarazAmaraz
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,755
    Keichiro wrote: »

THIS.

Thirded.
    Crimsọn