Check out all of the details of this month's Patch Notes, featuring the Mini-games + Quality of Life Update! https://mabinogi.nexon.net/news/91106/mini-games-quality-of-life-update-patch-notes-april-11th
[NEW MILLETIANS] Please note that all new forum users have to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours, and we appreciate your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Nexon Forums Code of Conduct. You have to register before you can post, so you can log in or create a forum name above to proceed. Thank you for your visit!

Block function needs an update

ShunklaShunkla
Mabinogi Rep: 1,430
edited October 12, 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions
Hello everyone.

When you block someone:
--> Both you and the blocked player should not be able to see each other.
--> The blocked player should not be able to send you notes/see their parties/send you mail.
--> When you block a player, you should not be able to see their prop/chairs/pets/mini gems.

I believe the block feature needs to be updated for these features.
This would bring down a lot of harassment and conflict between players and reduce the amount of tickets sent in.
There is literally no reason why this shouldn't be enabled, I don't understand any advantages of the current block system.

Thank you for taking the time to read my request.
AusyNiought
  1. Should the block function be updated?8 votes
    1. yes
       88% (7 votes)
    2. no
       13% (1 vote)

Comments

• Momma_SophieMomma_Sophie
    Mabinogi Rep: 2,575
    edited April 11, 2021
    "Harassment" and "conflict" have pretty much been expanded to mean literally any kind of contention, criticism, or disagreement.
    That said, the blocking function has flaws. Yet, there's no reason why you blocking someone should also affect the person you don't like by dictating what they can or cannot see/say. If you want to remove them from your sight, fine. They should be allowed to see what they want to see, should they actually be innocent (I err on the side of protecting innocent people, sorry) while someone goes around slandering them. If anything, I agree that this system has no advantages -- there aren't any advantages to censoring yourself from people and ideas you dislike as it puts you at a disadvantage as you now have no idea what they're plotting and you can't challenge them. You can say, "I don't care what people say about me or what they're doing," which would then beg the question of why someone would then be asking for more blocking powers.

On a mechanical standpoint: I think notes could be restricted as a form of messaging, but then you would have to restrict mailboxes, party advertisements, bugles, books, and also some Auction Housing access. There's also the simple task of logging into another character on the account or creating an entirely new account. There are too many ways to communicate in this game for there to not be some aspect available for exploitation by the person supposedly afflicting you or abuse by the people claiming to be afflicted.

The simple solution would actually be to leave regulation of one's own exposure to unsavory material to oneself and develop an ability to ignore what one doesn't like, rather than going down this slippery slope. There can be some improvements done to help a person reduce exposure, but encroachment upon the other person's territory is where we get questionably authoritarian with it. I understand that some people do suffer actual harassment (I am no exemption, having had my fair share of bugle-based harassment and harassment from people pretending to be harassed by me as they drag my reputation through the gutter before the eyes of superficial onlookers), but it is up to others and myself to decide whether we choose to ignore or indulge the words communicated (and report such behavior to proper authorities while providing evidence of the activity); it is much simpler for both us and Nexon/DevCat to acknowledge where this responsibility ultimately lies.

But, if they do decide to make changes, then so be it; it won't make it any harder for them to get to you.
  • ShunklaShunkla
    Mabinogi Rep: 1,430
    x
    Jolinar